Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: Tomatoes and Mosquitoes?

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 6, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plpinfleming
Fleming, OH

August 10, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6928024

This may have already been discussed, so forgive me if I'm repeating an old topic.
I'm not a regular tomato grower here, but I did manage to get some seeds started early this spring. The tomatoes have looked great and for the last few weeks I've been waiting patiently for them to ripen. Just this past week I picked my 1st one with several almost ready...and then the mosquitoes moved in.

They seem to be swarming my ripening tomatoes. I've google searched this and I'm finding several things on something in tomatoes that could be used as a mosquito repellent - but I seem to have the opposite problem. I've never seen or heard of this, so I'm wondering why they do this? Will it hurt my tomatoes? I just put out a sticky trap and I noticed that some are landing on the stems and are getting stuck. Is there anything else I can do that would kill the mosquitoes, but not me and the tomatoes?
Thanks for any help you can give-
Peggy
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #6928681

Are you sure they are mosquitoes? One of my neighbors said he had mosquitoes in his tomatoes--it turned out they were a species of fruit fly.
bolino
Swanton, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6930545

I have mosquitos and they do not attack the tomatoes, only me!
plpinfleming
Fleming, OH

August 10, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6930961

Thanks Russ, I had never thought of fruit flys. Glad to know I'm not the only one who made that mistake.
bolino - lol, there is no shortage of mosquitoes here.
I'll have to wait till the passing Tstorm goes thru and I'll go out and see if I can nab one with a piece of tape so I can look a little closer- haul one in for questioning. The 2 that I squished yesterday were beyond identification when I was done:-)

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6931016

plpfleming - talking TO the flies is okay - if they talk back, start looking for people in white coats :)
artemiss
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6931266

As a matter of fact, I have noticed that the dang mosquitos have been taking refuge in my plants..but only because they come flying out from the branches to feed on me when I water them.

I thought, and I could be mistaken, that male mosquitoes actually DO feed on plants, but I've never heard of them being a garden pest in that sense.
plpinfleming
Fleming, OH

August 10, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6931574

honeybee- I'd like to know why they're bothering my tomatoes...I only have 4 plants. I'm sure the neighbors across the way have a bumper crop...or maybe the deer and raccoon have wiped out the neighbors crop and that's why the ff's are at my house. Guess I should feel lucky then. But I better not hear a peep out of any of them, or I get out the heavy duty bug spray!
I do feel lucky that I don't have the blight and rot that's taken so many other's crops.
artemiss - I think they just sit in the bushes waiting for us to walk past.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America