Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tomatoes: Red on the outside, green on the inside

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 10, Views: 167
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
raccoonwoman
Silver Creek, MN

August 10, 2009
6:30 AM

Post #6929083

What causes tomatoes to get all green (in the jelly-like part) on the inside? They are so acidy and nasty tasting! So far all of my cherry tomatoes (a low acidity type) have been a beatiful red on the outside and bright green inside. Also, the first tomato my husband picked from one of his regular size tomato bushes is the same way. Is it caused by weather? We've had a cold spring, and for the most part a very cool summer, with temperatures mostly in the 70's during the day and going down into the 60's and even 50's at night. We wait all year to have tomatoes with some taste to them, and it looks like this year is going to be a bust.
bolino
Swanton, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6930446

Can you post a photo?
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6930522

My first few cherry tomatoes (Supersweet 100) were kind of like that--very red on the outside, but with the gel still green. They were quite tart. The later ones have been just fine--just a hint of green in the gel--and taste great!

We also have had a cool, wet spring and abnormally cool wet summer weather, but it's finally starting to get hotter and many of the tomatoes are finally breaking.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2009 2:31 PM
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6930852

There ARE varieties that have green gel, and they are quite tasty. What are you growing?
raccoonwoman
Silver Creek, MN

August 10, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6931512

Sorry, I can't post a photo. The cherry tomato is "Sweet Millenium", and I believe my husband's tomato plants are celebrity, maybe there's an early girl too.
When I say green, I mean GREEN - these tomatoes are not edible! I just don't understand what's going on. When I grow tomatoes, I always try to get a low acidity type because I can't stand tart tomatoes. My sister wouldn't even put her tongue to them, and she's not picky at all.
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6931530

Might the cherry tomato be "Sweet Million" rather than "Sweet Millenium"?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6932370

Sounds to me like you could be picking them too early. Unripe tomatoes will show green gel; tartness is fairly normal for tomatoes picked too early also. Maybe you could wait and sample some more when you can stick your hand under a tomato, gently nudge it, and if it falls off into your hand it may be at the ripe stage.

Hope you get what you are looking for at some point, raccoonwoman.

Shoe
raccoonwoman
Silver Creek, MN

August 12, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6936681

Russ, you're right, my cherry is "Sweet Million" - duh!

Shoe (I love that name!), I don't pick them until they're good and red, and do come off very easily. We're experienced tomato growers, just haven't had a problem like this before - pretty weird. It must be the weather, 'cause nothing else has changed. Our soil is good, etc., and we're not doing anything different. It's just too weird...
Thanks everyone for your input :o).

the coon
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6938051

Mornin', "coon"...

Well I sure hope you figure it out. Maybe the rest of August will be hot enough to cause a difference in the tomatoes, if coolness/temperature is what is playing a role in this.

By the way, I haven't seen you around much on the site so a hearty WELCOME to DG. Hope to see you posting your garden updates and progress.

Best,
Shoe
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6938740

My cherry tomatoes are at their absolute best one day before they split.

Imaginary conversation:

Q: "When do you pick your cherry tomatoes?"

A: "One day before they split."

That reminds me of the story about the man riding a bus. Unfamiliar with the route, he asks the passenger next to him, "How will I know when we get to Maple Street?" The reply: "That's easy--just watch me and get off one stop before I do."
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #7043058

At a Master Gardeners' telephone hotline, we were asked to come up with a solution to a very similar problem. In this case, the tomatoes were Big Boys, and the woman had been growing them for years with much success. She said that the tomatoes were completely red on the outside, but very hard and green on the inside. When brought inside, placed in a paper bag, and allowed to ripen, nothing happened. The tomatoes remained green and hard on the inside. None of us had ever heard of this happening, and we were unable to recommend any corrective action. We're in zone 5a, and our tomatoes have not been the best this year, but no one has had this problem. Any ideas?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America