Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Voting Booth: My favorite non-human gardening companion is...

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 88, Views: 1,050
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

August 10, 2009
9:50 AM

Post #6929222

There are a total of 336 votes:

My faithful dog! (does he/she participate, or observe?)
(93 votes, 27%)
Red dot

My cat assists me when I garden. (how?)
(61 votes, 18%)
Red dot

I have frogs, turtles or fish that keep me company.
(10 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Hummingbirds! No question about it!
(43 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Butterflies are my companions here. I garden just for them.
(34 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Songbirds are always singing for me as I garden.
(60 votes, 17%)
Red dot

None of the above. (tell us!)
(35 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2009
10:14 AM

Post #6929251

I voted for my dogs... but hummingbirds, butterflies and the birds are always with us as well

edit - my one yorkie always chases the chipmunks ... and will sit for hours watching the birds

This message was edited Aug 10, 2009 6:21 AM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2009
10:18 AM

Post #6929256

For the first time, i simply could not vote. Mine has to be all of the above. My dogs have always helped me. Mainly by not digging up the flowers. I have had the company of cats who reigned supreme while i worked. There are always frogs,salamanders,lizards,turtles, and an occasional snake. Butterflys,bees,catterpillers,worms, Songbirds, wrens, sparrows,hawks,woodpeckers. My garden is always abuzz with activity.And i live 30 miles from town.
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #6929380

The Bluejay and the squirrel. The Bluejay wants me to feed him peanuts all the time and the squirrel wants to make sure he knows where I plant things so that he can dig them up again! lol!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 10, 2009
11:50 AM

Post #6929400

My cat, Rosie, offers moral support when I'm gardening. She simply comes and sits close by and provides an occasion comment. Of course, she's easily distracted by birds, bees and grasshoppers, so her gardening assistance sometimes is brief, but comforting.
dixiegril
Jesup, GA

August 10, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6929470

My old friend Max. My dog. Loves to dig up mole hills, chase squirrels and poke his nose into what ever I do. Have to give him credit on the mole hills, he is persistant.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6929490

How about "all of the above". I couldn't pick just one. Gardening here with two dogs, six cats, hummingbirds swarming overhead, birds singing. I am delighted when the butterflies and dragonflies choose to visit and happy to see toads & frogs because I know they dine on mosquitoes. The only varmint I'd gladly do without are the legless ones that startle me!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #6929493

My companion is Larry a 2 yr. old peacock. Since Larry arrived I haven't had a snake in the yard in 2 years. Best bud for me!!!!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2009
12:39 PM

Post #6929514

Best bud, NO joke! I'd keep him close... lol What does your cat collection think of Larry?
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6929559

I would vote 'all of the above'...

cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6929627

Dragonflies and Damselflies are my constant companions in the back yard. my yard is full of them.
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6929667

Right now I have magnolia tree full of hundreds of cicadas! They are driving us nuts!
Dog, hmm he just barks at them, dont care too much for snakes. OK butterfles then.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2009 10:57 PM
bjf826
panhandle, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6929682

I voted butterflies, but hummers, b'flies, birds and cats are our constant companions when my sister and I are gardening.

Barb
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

August 10, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6929728

Really it is all...My elderly dog when she can remember where I am...my kitties always (4 of them) all the birds, bees, butterflies.

D
passiflora07
Fern Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6929744

All of the above! But I had to vote for my "faithful dog" Rusty, a 2-year-old golden retriever. He loves it when I'm gardening and follows me all around the yard. When I stop to work in one area he loves to roll around or lie down in the grass next to me. He also loves giving the lizards a workout ;)
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #6929892

I had to pick Songbirds, although I love all the butterflies too!

I have quite a few birdfeeders around the yard and yesterday I counted 9 different types of birds at the feeders. Of course that attracts predators as well. We have a few different types of Hawks in our area and late yesterday afternoon I heard a commotion of wings and doves scattering. The Blue Jays and Mockingbirds started making a racket so I knew there was a predator nearby. I walked out into the yard and around the house and a beautiful Hawk came flying right past me ... at shoulder height! They are so silent in flight, and it was so fast I couldn't tell what kind of hawk it was, but it looked to be a young one ... didn't have anything in it's beak so it either missed, or dropped it's dinner! It's really something to watch the songbirds gang up on the predators to chase them away.

I love gardening with the songs of birds in the background. One of my favorites is the Mourning Dove:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6929973

This poll was necessary due to all of the non-human 'assistants' that were noted in a previous week's poll...I felt that the non-human assistants deserved their own poll.

My best assistant is my sheltie, Carly.
ducky27
Kalispell, MT

August 10, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6930007

The hummingbirds this year are incredible. They buzz around the entire time I am out in the garden. They seem to be unafraid, especially when I wear a floral or brightly colored blouse. Unfortunately, the deer also keep me company. I can see them observing from a distance...then in the evening or early morning they come in close for a visit and a snack. This in spite of rotation of scent deterents! We have a lovely golden retriever next door who should chase them off but she likes to sit and watch them instead. A pacifist hunting dog...you have to love it!

This message was edited Aug 10, 2009 4:14 PM

Thumbnail by ducky27

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #6930101

My favorite helper is a duck...at least one, sometimes many more! The only problem, when I dig a hole, they want to play in it. So, I have to dig a hole for them and then run dig another hole and plant before they realize what I have done. LOL
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6930113

The mockingbirds in our yard are always very aware of when we mow or dig. If I come across a grub, there's invariably a mockingbird over my shoulder, watching and waiting for me to toss it over to him. (I've also seen them chase cats and squirrels out of the yard!)

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6930324

I voted songbirds, but I garden for hummers and butterflies too. And now Chickens. I feed them weeds and bugs from the garden almost every day.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 10, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6930359

I voted that the Crazy Ole Cat is my favorite 'assistant' but I'm stretching the 'assisting' part because 'flattening' things often isn't assisting sigh. I wanted to vote for Bees!!!
greenjay
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6930381

bunnies. They follow us around like cats, watching what we are doing in "their" garden.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6930463

I could have voted for everything but the dog...sadly no doggie here. But as posted above, the humming birds are in fantastic numbers this year, and finally I,ve got Yellow Swallowtails and Black Swallowtails, and the buzzing of bees of every kind, big and small.

You know what they say, "You're closer to God in a garden than anywhere else on earth!" Thank you God.
suzyj
Crary, ND
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6930513

I think the sounds of my nice quiet windchime are my favorite in the garden. My cats and dog run close behind, tho.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #6930692

I voted for "My Cat", but in reality the kitty that I am refering too has crossed over the bridge. When she was with me she was the best gardening bud ever. Never got in my way, just hung out and watched me or snoozed under the rose bushes while I worked. Callie was the best companion ever. It's been four years and I still miss her terribly.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6930710

I voted songbirds, I love listening to them while I garden...I would love to say my dog but he's still in that doofy puppy stage and mows down everything and loved to dig and rearrange all my rocks I had bordering my gardens...
sharonf1
Lake in the Hills, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6930746

My 13 year old lab likes a daily snack of echinacea and likes to play hide and seek in the daylilies. Most of the time she naps close by as I deadhead and weed.

~Sharon
bolino
Swanton, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6930776

Unfortunately, the only "helpers" I currently have are the mosquitoes :(

But wait until next year...
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

August 10, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6930784

I voted for Songbirds, but ...

there are always Hummingbirds, Butterflies, Wild Rabbits/Bunnies, Gray & Fox Squirrels, Bees, an occasional Toad, an occasional Red Fox, White Tailed Deer and horrors... an occasional snake! :-((

One year in June, I had a family of snakes living under my front porch. As I walked past, they were all sticking their heads out. :-(( The same day, as I was rounding the back facet and hose, I saw another type of snake laying there. :-((

I feed the Songbirds on the ground and in feeders every day of the year.

I garden organically and I garden for the Birds, Hummingbirds and Butterflies. Love to see them all! I also have 3 Hummingbird feeders that I change the sugar water solution (no red dye) every day whether they need it or not. I had 4 Hummingbird feeders up, but during a recent hail storm, one of the 4 ant moats got cracked, so I make the 2 cups of sugar water and now divide it between the 3 feeders and it works very well. I now have one feeder in the front and 2 still in the back. The Hummers are always buzzing and making their little sweet chirping, squeaking, chittering sounds every day! :-)

The Wild Rabbits and Bunnies are so cute! They sometimes sit and lay in bare spots in my garden and I try not to walk too close to them, as I might 'bother & disturb' them! :-)

DH and I have 2 adorable Mini Lop Bunnies that have free range of the house only. The closest they come to 'being outside' is whenever there is a really cool and breezy day, we open the windows and they smell the outside through the screens. It doesn't happen too often, because I have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and I have to have the AC on cold most of the year.

Marilyn

This message was edited Aug 10, 2009 2:19 PM
sandybotanik
Atlantic Beach, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6930885

A very large and curious Garter Snake

Thumbnail by sandybotanik

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 10, 2009
6:39 PM

Post #6930905

LOL he's checkin you out!!!
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

August 10, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6931047

Yikes!!!

That's a garter snake?! I thought the garter snakes were alot smaller in width and length!!!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #6931267

I picked A. Jack (Sharpei/Black Lab) likes to lay near by, where ever I'm working. I think that's when he's most content.
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6931344

My cousin calls them tree rats, but the antics of the squirrels are so amusing I find it hard to acknowledge them as rodents. They scamper along the fencetop, sometimes chattering as though scolding me for keeping them away from the sunflower seed bird feeder. They beat me to most of the pecan crops, too, but I really can't fault them since it is I who made the place hospitable for them. I enjoy the birds, butterflies, geckos, toads - just about all of the critters except skeeters and fireants. My cats accompany me sometimes as observers, but offer very little in the way of assistance.

Yuska
DiOhio
Corning, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6931381

I voted "Butterflies" but actually I could vote "All of the Above".

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6931426

I did forget the 'family' of Blue-tailed Skinks that live in my herb bed...apparently, we have a family, because several little ones no longer than my little finger showed up last week in the oregano. Poppa Skink is sans his tail, so the neighbor's cat must have had a tussle with him. There are many insects in the oregano and they hang out there and I often see them with their 'prey.'

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #6931561

I have 2 kitties but Isis helps the most by keeping me company.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #6931626

My cats seem to have a vested interested in my planting, as in "what are you doing to my litter box." I've been landscaping the front yard.
plantRN
(Beth) L'ville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6931965

I would have voted "cats" but my cats are terrified of the outdoors. Poor little spoiled things. NOT! So I voted Songbirds--loads of them. My favorites are the brown headed nuthatches; I love their little "beeps". I think we have at least 4 families of Cardinals in the yard this year as well, so they follow me around while I garden.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6932086

The none of the above should be changed to all of the above!
Agaveguy
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6932860

Me, myself and I. I love the solitude and contemplation.
charlenesplants
Buffalo, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6933199

I agree that it should be "all of the above" instead of none of the above. Which one could be excluded? I chose hummers because this year, they seem almost tame. I have had them come very close to me this year and they seem to be totally unafraid of my dh and I.

I simply love all of God's creatures and they all make my gardening experience a great one.

The only think that I would exclude would be the snakes. So far this year "nada" on the snakes. I hope it stays that way.

Charlene
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #6933422

I had to vote for my cats. They both come out and follow me every where. I'm positive that they are supervising my every act! And, as someone up above said, they're always their offering their moral support!
Hpyndixie
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6933790

Dragon Flies follow me around when I'm watering and try to drink the water coming from the hose.
msjuris
Pine Grove, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6934336

My mother hen Beauty and her 12 chicks follow me around the gardens waiting for any morsals I happen to uncover for them while weeding.

Thumbnail by msjuris

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6934563

I voted for None of the Above
My cat stays in the house, and wasps don't like me in THEIR garden... not to mention the ANTS (wish I couldn't mention them - they Bite!)
Songbirds send "prezzies" by way of droppings on my head lol
The garbage men drop the lid of my can on the flower bed (nasty wee men!!), so other than my DH, I have no one to help lol
My neighbour wishes I planted roses, and roses only, so She's no help, either LOL
This is my garden on July 5th - I should update it, cuz it's sooooo much fuller!!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

AuntAnne
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6934606

By day it's my kitties or a barn cat from next door. However by night it would be this critter. He helps me by encouraging me to do whatever I need done quickly!

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

CherokeeGreg
Fresno, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6934790

Well it has to be my fish. And the birds which I feed and the hummers the buzz in all the time.
Greg
Zone 9
Ca

Thumbnail by CherokeeGreg

roybird
Santa Fe, NM

August 11, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #6935748

I chose the hummingbirds! They are my fav's.
herbspirit
Southborough, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6935887

Bees! You forgot the bees.
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #6935987

hummers/bees/dragonflies.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #6937147

A shovel my DH made for me from his favorite tool - a trenching spade/shovel -& my banty chickens. I wouldn't take a billion $$$ for that shovel/spade. And the banties are so much company. Yes, they do some damage, but the shrouds from worn out fans and discarded 'fridge racks, etc. help protect my plants.
lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2009
5:30 AM

Post #6937354

All 3 of my cats are great company in the garden. They like to hide beneath the daylilies and ornamental grass and then launch sneak attacks on me when I walk by. Always makes me laugh. Samson is very fond of Alyssum and reacts to it almost like it was cat nip. His job is to flatten it. He gives new meaning to the term "Bed of Flowers".

Thumbnail by lincolnitess

lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2009
5:33 AM

Post #6937364

Another photo of Samson working hard to get that Alyssum to lay flat.

lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #6937371

Sophie is a good snake catcher.

lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2009
5:39 AM

Post #6937378

Sadie mostly supervises and keeps out the squirrels.

AuntAnne
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2009
6:24 AM

Post #6937436

Gorgeous gardners you have there.
scotsmiss
Sandwich
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6939011

My three cats don't help at all - quite the reverse, but the butterflies have been wonderful ythis year.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6939064

None of the above... A nice cold beer is my favorite non-human gardening companion.

Doug
daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 12, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6939227

Our sheltie is my gardening companion along with all the usual garden critters. He parks his butt as close to where I am working as possible even will try to sit along on my garden kneeler bench.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2009
5:06 AM

Post #6941124

I also had a hard time choosing one, I tried to focus on the idea of favorite 'garden companion'. I chose butterflies because I see them the most, so they give me the most pleasure. They are flying by my head all day long. I see hummers almost every day but they are much sneakier visitors, so not as frequent of a companion. I do always get excited when one doesn't notice me within a foot from where they decide to nectar. They are so much funner to watch up close. My cats give me chuckles quite frequently in the garden but usually they are up to no good. Stalking the bird feeder, trying to catch my beloved butterflies, laying right under the hummingbird feeder so the hummingbirds are too scared to visit them, digging up newly planted seedlings (most likely to do you know what in their place). I think we all know how silly kitties can be. So that's how I narrowed mine down.
Lincolnitess Love your kitties! Now I know why my Alyssum keeps dying! It's the kitties! My old man kitty does seem to sniff at it a lot. I'm sure he waits until I'm not looking and lays on it and rolls around. He knows his antics wouldn't last long if I saw him. I would shoo him away. : ) I tried growing catnip for my kitties but it never amounted to much because they kept nibbling it down to nothing.
Gardenia731
(Arlene) Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2009
5:35 AM

Post #6941180

Here is one of my garden companions. He is great digging holes where ever you point. He loves weeding and pulling the tree roots sticking out from the ground. Loves to chase squirrels and lizards. Not scared to get down and dirty. LOL!

Name: Gotti
Breed: American Blue Nose Pitbull
Weight: 80lbs +

Thumbnail by Gardenia731

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #6941206

My cats aren't much help because they're always working on their suntans.

Thumbnail by Zuzu

Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6941866

Very cute! Nice pitbull!
Zuzu I love the kitty all the way to the right. Is he/she a ragdoll?
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6942061

Love Gotti!! He's adorable!

I voted for my cat. She's been 'helping' me garden for over 15 years. She talks to me(part siamese), rolls around, and chases crickets and grasshoppers. I'd probably work faster, she assists on being pet or she'll rub you to death, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thumbnail by saanansandy

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6942628

My little mutipoo, Chloe loves to sit in my lap as I kneel in the garden. She also likes to eat the Japanese Beetle grubs as I dig them up!

Thumbnail by HoneybeeNC

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6942632

Oh! She looks just like our Muppet we had years ago. So cute.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6943323

They all have ragdoll personalities, Meredith, but their mother was a short-haired tortoise shell tabby.
susan505
Roswell, NM
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6943392

My 6 dogs, one great dane scared of turtles, which one got in the yard the other night and took us three days to figure out why she would only go out the doggie door on to the step then have a barking fit, the turtle was a small one about the size of your hand and was really enjoying the bugs from the porch light but if you asked Jewels he was bigger then the house, two rockwiller crosses, they are to old and fat like their master to do much but come out and lay in a shade and sleep, a cross eyed border collie, she must chase any thing that moves expecially birds till they land then its a no no, a mutt that is one of the best rat getters I've ever had and then the baby of the bunch my boxer, that wound up being a cross, her mom is a pure bred brintle boxer and her dad is the boxer/red pit cross that lives three house's down, she looks just like him in the head and coloring, but we love her any way, she is the one that helps the most with digging and removing plants already in the ground, lol. Don't know how I got along all the years before they came into our lives, they are all rescue dogs and now rule the place. LOL. Susan
winterrobin
South Dennis, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6944222

I had to vote "none of the above" because, unfortunately, my most faithful garden companions are moles.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #6944559

Zuzu they are all so beautiful! I can't see the one in the middles face but I imagine it is darker like the others? Maybe their daddies were ragdolls! lol I've been wanting a ragdoll for years but they are so expensive and I tell myself the non bred kitties need homes too. : ) Here is what would be an awesome shot in a tad more light, of my two kitties. On evening patrol of the gardens. : )

Thumbnail by Meredith79

hollyhocklady

hollyhocklady
Shepherdsville, KY

August 14, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #6944636

Well I have to say my dog. Cats to... lol

Thumbnail by hollyhocklady

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #6944687

Oh, Meredith, that photo doesn't need any more light. It's so dramatic the way it is. They're adorable cats.

The kitty in the middle of my photo actually looks most like the mother. She has some tortie markings and her mother's "split face."

Thumbnail by Zuzu

zonkel
Florence, MS
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6945314

My dogs and cats are all 'helpers'. My mastiff, Millie, will plant herself in front of my watering hose until I squirt her down and give her a drink. Ah well, she is the biggest 'flower' in my garden!

Susan
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #6945327

Just me. No cats allowed outside, and I don't even remove the fence so I can get in my flower beds to weed if the dogs are out. Everything will get trampled. No ponds around for frogs or fish. I really don't like bugs of any kind, butterflies included. No bird feeders here, really don't want to attract them, my neighbors can do that. I prefer the solitude when I am in my garden.
hummer_girl
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6946508

I spend the winter months preparing for the hummers; reading every hummingbird and garden book I own, catalog I am sent, and hummingbird site online, making very long shopping lists to make sure I have the right plants. I spend the spring raising plants from seed, preparing plant beds, cleaning pots and relining hanging baskets, buying plants at local nurseries and online, and planting hummer attractor plants. The last couple springs I have been adding more flower beds. During the summer I cruise the yard with a hose, pruners, and trowel attending to all the hummer plants blooming. Come fall, I clean out the annuals as they fade and put the perennials to bed for the winter. I also start my mental list of what worked, what needs to be switched, and what new plants I found out about at DG, for the next years planting. Late November I start working on my lists again, surfing the internet for any new tidbits of info I can find. Can you guess what I voted for?

I am hummer_girl, and it is a 24/7 job.
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6946615

And they appreciate and value you highly! I am grateful to all the folks who help our wildlife survive - the critters have so many challenges.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 14, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6947136

I had to go with frogs but that should include spiders as well. I also carry any snakes I happen to catch up by my pond, out to the garden and release them there. I haven't seen a venomous snake around here.
I don't like them but I like the insects less.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6947878

I voted none of the above. My favorite gardening companion is my bottle lamb, Marshmallow. She loves to garden with me and she eats the weeds while I plant things. How convenient is that?! She is very obedient and follows me like a puppy. When I stop to work in a garden bed, she eats weeds, and then lays down for a rest until I'm ready to move on.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz

sidekicks2003
Courtenay, BC
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6947908

Well along with my 2 boys (dogs) and my girl (cat) I have my oldest boy Joey (parrot) and if he is not on my shoulder he walks back and forth up and down my back as I am bending over and trying to point out what I've missed and what I have to do. And last but not least my better half, my hubby.

Thumbnail by sidekicks2003

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2009
6:26 AM

Post #6948492

Mine is other. Some times it is music time and other times it is sitting in quiet reflection, which is something I seldom have. I don't like company unless they are helping with a heavy job or dogs helping either, especially my new one, she copies me, if I dig, she digs, if I make a hole for a plant, she wants to dig a hole for another plant to transplant into it.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2009
11:38 AM

Post #6948726

Zuzu she's precious!
CMoxon that lamb is the cutest thing! That is so funny that she acts like dog. I have to show my dd she loves lambs. : )
feathervisions
Port Chester, NY

August 15, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6949478

My dog protects me from strangers while I am busy in the gardens. (Not too much help as he - a Yorkie - bites the shovel.) Lately, with the sunflowers blooming, an American Goldfinch has hung around and allowed me to be quite close by when weeding.

Thumbnail by feathervisions

ericabelle
West Plains, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6955076

My buddy, Wyatt, patrols for chipmunks, squirrels, and all other critters while I garden. We enjoy being outside together.

Thumbnail by ericabelle

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

August 17, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6955212

If helping involves digging up new seedbeds or flattening the carrot foliage, then my cat Maggie is a great help!

Its very sweet how cats tend to follow you around the garden, untill they spy a tresspassing bird or butterfly...

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

ptilda
Spooner, WI

August 17, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #6955442

The humming birds are EVERYWHERE this year! They actually hover & watch me water the garden... I think it's the sparkling water spraying from the hose. Not really scared at all. And all different colors. They love the hosta flowers.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6962025

I have to say my two Rat Terriers. Both are great mouse catchers (even Petrie who has some disabilities). They follow me through the yard and have to investigate everything I am doing.
It makes me happy that neither of them want to harm anything but rodents.

Thumbnail by valleylynn

50glee
Huntersville, NC

August 21, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6970317

My almost toothless cat is my faithful companion - as long as I work.

However, if I should stray to a neighbors yard and begin to chat - he will voice his disapproval.

Should I enter the neighbors house - that cat sets up a wail and cry - One would think he is my husband demanding me to return home!

So to answer in all honesty: As long as I am working the cat will keep me company.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America