Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Hortiscopes & History: Language of flowers

Communities > Forums > Garden Hortiscopes & History
bookmark
Forum: Garden Hortiscopes & HistoryReplies: 9, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ZoarGardener
Bolivar, OH

August 10, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6930164

I am the gardener at a Victorian home and small museum. We are planning to host a garden tour next year focusing on the meanings that the Victorians attached to the flowers. Can anyone share some good ones with me? Also any background on the history of the plants would be greatly appreciated!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6945670

ZG, I don't know much about the subject myself, but I do know there are some sources you might check out for the info. One would be a nearby Botanical Garden who has an affiliated herb society. Our local garden group makes up nosegays (which I believe are definitely Victorian). There is also a 'Victorian Cotillion' here in town that concentrates on the meanings the Victorians attached to flowers. And don't forget the language of the fan (which usually has flowers attached)!! I know an 80+ lady who presents this information to the young girls coming into the Cotillion.

Your project sounds very interesting.
ZoarGardener
Bolivar, OH

August 16, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #6952233

Thanks for the information! It is an interesting subject. So far, my favorite discoveries have been that poppies are the symbol for "fantastic extravagance" (We have P. somniferum growing and I tend to agree with that description) and that hollyhocks symbolized "feminine ambition"! LOL! Your suggestions have given me a few new avenues to pursue. Thanks again.
angele

August 19, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6964339

If you have a high speed internet connection there is a book called "The Language of Flowers" (1869) available for free download at http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/7360369. This book was donated by New York Botanical Garden. You can read it online but the PDF is much easier. The PDF download is 17 mb - took less than a minute on my connection. This 296 page book is a treasure of plant meanings & history.
ZoarGardener
Bolivar, OH

August 26, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6991143

This book IS a treasure! Thanks for sharing it with me!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6991152

Pansies were thought to carry unspoken thoughts between lovers...'pansy' 'pensee'

I found this out while researching an article that I wrote a couple of years ago: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/899/
ZoarGardener
Bolivar, OH

August 27, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6995585

Thanks! Great article! A couple of other interesting ones I've run across: Nutmeg conveys intoxicating love. Vanilla Beans for good luck. White roses, I am worthy of you. Crown Imperial, power. And American Cowslip (Dodecatheon Meadia), You are my angel.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6997382

Going back to medieval times, parsley removes bitterness, rosemary symbolizes love...
ZoarGardener
Bolivar, OH

September 29, 2009
12:23 PM

Post #7115822

Another great one...Alchemilla was said to preserve a woman's youth if she gathered the dew from the plant in May, in full moonlight, alone, naked and in bare feet as a sign of purity and to ward off evil spirits!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #7118318

Well, bring on the alchemilla! I'll be out there collecting dew in May if it will work!! I live in the country so I guess I could get away wth the other part if I was careful.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Hortiscopes & History Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 21 Feb 6, 2009 4:39 AM
Wake Island OutsidePlaying 25 Jan 23, 2009 12:39 PM
Fanny Farmer!! threegardeners 31 Jul 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Tell us how we're doing, please! Terry 91 Aug 6, 2009 12:12 AM
Giant Snowflake. Did You Know? dahlianut 14 Dec 12, 2009 5:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America