Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Antiques and Collectibles: Dimestore Horse and Saddle

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 16, Views: 231
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6930524

Here's the iron horse that used to be in DD's bedroom that she threw all her clothes on instead of hanging them up...a clothes horse! He has had many lives (and colors), I guess. Someone told me he was originally a riding pony outside a grocery store...but that he would have had a saddle. I remarked that I had a saddle, just couldn't remember where I put it. 'Was told the saddle was worth more than the pony. Saddle needs repair, but I think I could stitch the edges. It attaches to some screws on pony, but I just added some leather straps so I could get a quick pic. DH had welder make the base so he was more stable.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Highmtn
Cliff Dweller, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6931204

Oh myyyyyyyyyyy...

In my DREAMS I'd own one of those WONDERFUL ol' dime store horses. I LOVE THAT... plain and SIMPLE.

It has 1000 fun uses! NEAT-O!!!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6932675

He lives in the garden now. Has been lime green, electric blue,and fire engine red. I do love spray paint...
Highmtn
Cliff Dweller, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6935329

Well...I never met an old Dime Store horse I didn't WANT...lol Bravo to you! Time will pass quickly, and eventually your grandchildren will be climbing on that!

It's truely COLLECTIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6941640

Your Iron horse is wonderful,heres mine,it was my stepdaughters,Dh would not let me throw it away,we just dont have any storage,I wont become a hoarder,so I said ,then put him in my garden!! I think he is considered an antique,he is 35 !!! He is not Iron though,Rubber or plastic,not nearly collectible !!! just cute

This message was edited Aug 13, 2009 8:03 AM

This message was edited Aug 13, 2009 8:03 AM

Thumbnail by huggergirl

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6941929

Love him! Glad your DH wouldn't let you get rid of him.
I once saw a "garden horse" with sedum and ice plant attached to his tail...and I tried to duplicate it unsuccessfully. Kept slipping off...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6941939

MEE TOO,thats what started the garden art for me.
Highmtn
Cliff Dweller, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #6945189

As my grand kids get older I would LOVE to stumble across one of these for yard art. I love them both...and they sure bring back memories when I see them in your yards!

Love the photos!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6957622

hugger, yours is called a "Wonder Horse" as it was made by Wonder Toy Co,
My sister, who is now 53 had one and it was passed to my children and then to the grandchildren and then to the neighbor. Being plastic, the elements eventually disintegrated it being stored outside. Many, many happy hours spent riding ole' Wonder.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #6957663

LouC,yes there is a blue ribbon sticker on his neck says "The Wonder Mare"

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6962856

here's my horse, my DH found it in someones trash about 6 years ago, I painted it, and really, I had it in my garden too, at the old house, but we moved last September to our new home and I brought him with me, Now it's ready to be re-done, and my plan is to mosaic it with glass pieces and grout. I painted it once and it won't hold up to the beach conditions,winds and sand ! I even put polyurethane on as a top coat. It still took a beating. So I figure this will be my winter project, as for the moment it sits behind my grill, so know one decides to lift it, while I'm away.lol. my old neighbor tried to do that when my DH brought it home, she said she thought we had it out for garbage, when in fact it was way in the back of our driveway, sitting beside the garbage cans, waiting to be carried the rest of the way to the yard. She came over and tried to help herself, and my tile man caught her, and informed me she was on her way out with it. the nerve of some people, lol, I think she could have asked first, as we were new to the neighborhood at the time. A funny story, we became friends after that, and I always tease her about her trying to steal my horse!!

Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6962865

And yes, I have a window sash too back there, another thread I'm watching, going to paint it, as I had one we got from a yard sale, but it fell off the mount we had it on, and went to pieces. I love doing different kinds of art, my most favorite, mosaics!

Thumbnail by jamibad

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2009
12:21 PM

Post #6964039

jamibad,is yours cast iron ? nice find,mine is plastic darn ! Iam so glad we live rural,someone thinking its trash because it is sitting by the cans ,but not out by the curb,wow,not even nice,Iam not saying I would not have thought ,boy Id like to have that ,it would have ended there.good thing the tile guy was on his toes !! Iam sure he didnt want to be blamed either!!!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #6964226

Now we'll all be buggin' you till you finish your mosiac project! cute horsey...

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6969171

I lost my first message,But hello to all,and huggergirl, mine is also plastic, and I'll be using scrap glass to do the mosaic as I think tile would be too heavy. I buy used stained glass scraps I find on E-bay, like I said this will become my winter project. I want to get in a fall garden, and am finishing up some other projects before I start this one. There is so many great ideas here on DG and if only I had the energy and time to do everything I want. It;'s a blast creating things, and than when you see others have the same ideas, it's a very warm feeling. I thought I was nut, lol, and so do my friends think so. They never know what there going to find me working on when they come to visit. No Buggin till Spring bigbubbles, lol...I will keep everyone up to date when I start this project!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2009
10:51 AM

Post #6971474

jamibad,cant wait to see it ,this winter!!!

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #6976803

thanks everyone, I'll see you all here in a week, leaving tomorrow on a cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, be back Sept 1st, but keep looking for those special finds!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America