Photo by Melody

Article: Persimmons and Mimosas: Excellent!

Communities > Forums > Article: Persimmons and Mimosas
bookmark
Forum: Article: Persimmons and MimosasReplies: 6, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

August 11, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6934805

Really like it! Great story about our friends the trees! I do not know Diospyros virginiana, but we have D.kaki here which I enjoy (as well as D. digina) how different are they?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6934891

Hi JJ, I'll have to research the differences, and will let you know. Thanks for writing. I was just re reading your Morning Glory article yesterday, I love it, and would really love to see those that are yellow and orange.

I'll get back with you on the differences of the trees.
Thank you.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

August 12, 2009
7:39 AM

Post #6937468

Hi Sharran
Let me know if you want some seeds of the orange and yellow MG. I remember that when I lived in Austin we had a lot of parsimmon to eat in December but as far as I remember they were the same we get in Europe and here, rather large fruits while the ones in the article looks like plum size.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #6938607

JJ, I don't know a thing about D.dygina, but the d.kaki is much larger than what we have here, and seems to be sweeter, not as astringent when unripe. That isn't much of an answer, but it is all I know of the differences.

And I would love to have orange and yellow seeds, thank you, but I doubt they could be shipped from there.

I'll continue to see what I can find different about the persimmon varieties, and let you know if something new is found.

Hope your day is beautiful!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

August 12, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6938870

D.digina produces a fruit ressembling D.kaki but instead of being orange it is dark green and the ripe flesh is black and sticky, locals call it 'caca poule' which is 'hen pooh'...
Why couldn't I ship seeds to you? I send them worldwide, so it they can reach South-Africa or Pakistant they will reach you for sure!
Yes, nice day today.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6959250

Wonderful article, Sharon.
Lots of smiles.
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #6959280

Hey Charlie...
And you gave a smile right back to me.
Thank you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Persimmons and Mimosas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
you poor thing onewish1 16 Aug 17, 2009 10:16 PM
Make Do- Petalpants 1 Aug 11, 2009 2:15 PM
Beautiful, but Bad! gloria125 16 Aug 12, 2009 3:24 AM
I miss those trees!!! zhinusmom 1 Aug 11, 2009 9:27 PM
ok phicks 1 Aug 11, 2009 10:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America