Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions: Every bit my Mother!

Communities > Forums > Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutionsReplies: 5, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

August 12, 2009
10:38 AM

Post #6937607

A great and very true article! How many times have we sat there looking at the gaudy, enhanced pictures, thinking of spring?
I fear we are all guilty at one time or another. My Mother is the worst at this, she looks at the colours and ticks the ones she likes then orders them, regardless of what they are.
Then all these boxes arrive full of bulbs, and bags of free ones. So she is straight on the phone for me to come over and plant them, except she has normally lost the catalogue by this time, and has no idea what they are.
Although I am a trained Horticulturist, I do not know all the varieties that are available, so another morning is wasted as I look them up on the companies website, she has used.
Then when you do go to plant the things, there is hundreds of bulbs, already planted from last year! Of course she does not know what they were, and I can't remember everything!
So as I take the summer bedding out of her large pots, a lot of them end up in them, with pansies etc.
I know she will do exactly the same next year, but what can you do, she is Eighty two years old and has always done it, more homeless bulbs!
As for size and colour I could not agree more, these companies do lead you astray with some confusing wording.
However I do know mistakes happen with labeling in Garden centers, but some are quite unforgivable.
I took my wife down to Kent for a day out and we went into a small family run garden center, as my wife wanted a few bulbs for her Jekyll style herbaceous border (colour wise). So she saw some Crown imperials (Fritillaria imperialis), the bulbs looked of a good quality and size, they were all labelled as yellow. So they were duly planted, and all six came up in the spring, except much to our annoyance four were orange and two were yellow. She was not amused, to say the least!
My wife grows Allium giganteum, and even then you have to be careful of the catalogs, for some of the bulbs you get are not what you think they are going to be, not that we buy them anymore!
Regards from London.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6937797

Hullo Neil! Regards from Boston, Massachusetts. Please be kind to your mother, and thanks very much for stopping by. I believe there's an article somewhere about making labels for your plants...

Carrie
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

August 12, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6938281

Carrie I always label plants, i was taught that as an Apprentice, in fact it was drilled into us!
I was simply pointing out that what you see in the catalogs\Garden centers are not always what you get, as your article quite rightly says!
A friend of mine wanted an Acer griseum, so he saw one in a catalog of Acer's and ordered it (not cheap), this very nice tree came and he was unsure as to what it was, as it did not look like the picture. So he asked me to look at it, which I did, and it was an Acer davidii. One is a paperbark maple, the other a snakebark maple, yet the davidii was labelled as a griseum!
So we took a picture of the one he got and sent it to them, they apologized and sent a real griseum and did not want the other one back!
As I was going to see my mother today, I printed your article out and took it over for her, She has read it in enjoyed it, and then pinned it on her notice board! Maybe we will not get boxes of unwanted bulbs this year, I do hope so.
Regards from a wet London.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6938302

Awww. Say hi to your mother from me! What a sweet son you are!
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

August 13, 2009
10:39 AM

Post #6941488

Dear Carrie, I passed your regards on to my mother, she was absolutely delighted that you would write from America, in fact she was quite stunned, and that you had replied from Boston.
She wishes me to send you her kindest regards back, with her grateful thanks, and best wishes.
Then she started to reminisce about the second World War; evidently there was an American air base near where she lived, and as a Nurse she was always invited to the dances at the base, which she loved or so she says. I have always wondered why she loves Glen Miller!
Well one night the Americans served this meal up for everyone, and my mother claims it was delicious, but she did not know what it was. So she asked an American flyer and he replied "Boston baked beans," well rationing was on here and my mother says it had meat in it, which was a real treat.
Not only was my mother an avid gardener but she is also an astonishing cook. She can no longer do the hard work in the garden, but she can cook the socks off anyone.
So she was on about these Boston baked beans, I told her I had tried them and they were very nice, and that there are lots of recipes on the internet for them.
So she said "Your Grandma taught me how to make Yorkshire puddings and I taught you, how many recipes have you read that work," I have never tried one, but my wife has I am afraid.
I do see her point as we were brought up there, so it is natural for me, yet my wife cannot make them, even with a recipe!
So I know this is a liberty, but if you do know of anyone who has a good recipe for Boston baked beans could you please ask them to send it to me, where I will give it to my mother. In return; if they require an English recipe from 1912 to 1933 from my Grandma's Diary, as she was a Head cook in a big house, or my mothers recipes, I will gladly send it if that recipe is there.
Regards from a wet and then sunny London.
Neil.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #6941870

Neil, now I am hanging my head in shame because almost nobody makes baked beans from scratch. There is a poem about them (I come from the city of Boston, the home of the bean and the cod, etc...) but we buy them canned and sometimes add mustard, brown sugar, onions, clove, whatever we have around, but we buy them already made, as "baked beans" and already seasoned to some degree. I know someone who makes her own but I'm not sure what she starts with, maybe canned cooked beans. Over here we can get any kind of beans (kidney, white, black, red, garbanzo) canned. I will ask my friend for you.

Carrie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yep! the1pony 3 Aug 12, 2009 2:52 PM
Good advice Hemophobic 10 Aug 13, 2009 12:54 AM
now if we'll only listen... DiggerDee 7 Oct 26, 2011 8:12 AM
Party Pooper dahlianut 17 Oct 26, 2011 9:32 AM
spring bulbsI daphnep 1 Aug 12, 2009 9:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America