Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions: Good advice

Communities > Forums > Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutionsReplies: 10, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 12, 2009
12:00 PM

Post #6937756

Carrie: Your article must have been aimed at me, because I'm guilty of all the sins you describe, plus a few others you didn't! I've already made some resolutions of my own for this year and I'm trying so hard to stick to them. Thank you for the encouragement and reinforcement of my own vow not to overspend on bulbs this fall.

Angie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2009
12:21 PM

Post #6937788

Well, yes, Angie, I was thinking of you, hee hee hee, and the rest of us who are just like you! (Me for one...) It's more meant as encouragement to spend WISELY. Spend $50, $500, $5000, just spend it consciously.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for your comment!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #6937909

And it applies to plants other than bulbs. Plantholism runs rampant! My beds would be much improved by restraint and planning. But novelty and new is so much fun!
By the way, don't be like me and buy early blooming yellow tulips and plant them next to your yellow daffodils- Bor-ing! (oh yeah, you don't buy yellow)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6938328

I try not to, although that winter aconitum has been looking nice in the dead of winter. It's right NOW that I am fed up with yellow. And how thoughtful of you to remember, dear Sally. My husband, just yesterday, was actually noticing (!) how the rose America, the coneflower (I forget, but the rosy one that is flat), the gladiolus and the potentilla Miss Willmott all echoed the same rosy-pink, dark coral color. Imagine!!

Thanks, Sally, for writing.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6938390

Of course you planned all that rosy pink dark coral harmony--didn't you?! At least subliminally!
Restraining the color choice has made it easier for me to plan my partly shaded purple and white bed.-altho things have snuck in there that I forgot were there- pink Lycoris, pink Calla
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 12, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6938658

Here's what's on my current order list:

Winter aconite
More tulips (already ordered)
More camassia (loved this in bloom this past spring)
More alliums
More chionodoxa
Will give the anemones another try (didn't soak mine last fall before planting)

Hmmm. Did I say I was trying to be more restrained? Hah! I already have an order placed with B&B from June, which is already paid for, not to mention the things I want from John Scheepers. Okay. I lied. I'll make every effort to be more selective in quality, then.

(Taking a deep breath) I can do this!

Angie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6938715

Actually, Sally, I DID plant all that stuff to go together, I just never dreamed he'd notice. But that's all within 5 ft. of each other. The rest of the place is pretty random.

Angie, good vendors and a good list! Dare I mention there's a bulb co-op going on AS WE SPEAK and a certain DG author has put her name down?

C.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 13, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6940176

Carrie: Dare I check out that bulb coop of which you spoke? Oh, yes.

Angie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6940232

Actually, I realized there are TWO. But i promise I will plant them all in a pot, ok, in TWO pots... but that's it, I swear! ~helllllp.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 13, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6940264

Well, Carrie, I checked out both coops, one was closed, but the other with the alliums looks enticing. I just might backslide here from my intention ^=...=^

Angie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6940328

ohhhhh noooooooooo. the closed one isn't really closed!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yep! the1pony 3 Aug 12, 2009 2:52 PM
Every bit my Mother! NEILMUIR1 5 Aug 13, 2009 1:24 PM
now if we'll only listen... DiggerDee 7 Oct 26, 2011 8:12 AM
Party Pooper dahlianut 17 Oct 26, 2011 9:32 AM
spring bulbsI daphnep 1 Aug 12, 2009 9:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America