Photo by Melody

Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions: now if we'll only listen...

Communities > Forums > Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutionsReplies: 7, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6937921

Hi Carrie!

Great article! Good advice, too. Now, will I follow it? In my head I know I should. In my head I agree with everything you say and know you speak wisely. Perhaps as those bulb catalogs come in I will stick a big post-it on the cover that says "Carrie!". That way I will be reminded of your good sense and try to practice it myself, lol! But so much temptation... :)

Thank you, Carrie!
Dee
nutmegnana
Adamstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6938109

Very good advice, indeed. Since Critterologist and I live very close to each other, we often share postage and combine our orders. We have really gotten into bulb ordering this fall and we seem to "feed" off each other. One of us notices a bulb and the other seems to really need that one, too. So we not only save on postage but we save even more money because we can order in larger quantities. . . sounds so good, doesn't it??? We really do try to know where we will plant them when we get them, more or less . . .sort of . . .

This is one of those articles that should re-run this time every year!
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6938248

"...This is one of those articles that should re-run this time every year!..."

Yes indeed, lol! It most certainly should! We could all use a regular reminder, lol.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #6938267

(chuckle) You're very welcome, both of you. This article was easier than most are to write because I just took dictation from one of those quiet, nagging voices in my head. You know, the one that says "now WHERE are you going to put those?" (If it was a loud, nagging voice I wouldn't have this problem.) I don't know whether I will be able to follow my resolutions this year, for once.

But thank you very kindly for writing and sharing.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6938563

I always have a plan when I order...but forget what it was by the time they get here...LOL!!!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6938701

Me too, but it's a different plan for each order, and I, too, forget them. Dave needs to make us a sad face! ^_^
quiltjean
North Chelmsford, MA
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8862992

Great article, Carrie! It should have run before I ordered my bulbs. I just put in 110 alliums and 10 'Sundisc' narcissus, and in half the holes I ran across the chionodoxa and scilla siberica I'd planted...and planted...and planted.
I have to put in a word here for the French Roman hyacinths. They have multiple stems of sparser florets and eally fill up the garden. I don't have to plant them any more because they multiply like pregnant dust kitties. All I have to remember to do is mark them and transfer extras to new places after domancy occurs. Yeah. To paraphrase Burns, the plans of mice and men gang aft agley.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8864340

Oh! I absolutely should have had those among my resolutions - plant deeper first and then shallower (ie the chinodoxa AFTERWARDS) and mark the position of bulbs when they're blooming so when they're dormant, you know where they are! Now I have enough bulbs here and there in my yard to need to know where they are for fear of chopping them up.

Yes, Rob't Burns was truly wise... thanks for your comment.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yep! the1pony 3 Aug 12, 2009 2:52 PM
Every bit my Mother! NEILMUIR1 5 Aug 13, 2009 1:24 PM
Good advice Hemophobic 10 Aug 13, 2009 12:54 AM
Party Pooper dahlianut 17 Oct 26, 2011 9:32 AM
spring bulbsI daphnep 1 Aug 12, 2009 9:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America