Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions: Party Pooper

Communities > Forums > Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutionsReplies: 17, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6938506

Where is the fun in that plan dear Carrie?!? Where would we be without the heart palpitations associated with fall placement panic as we try to find just one more spot to tuck in more bulbs before the ground freezes? And the excitement when yet another box of bulbs arrives that we forgot we ordered? Wouldn't we miss accidently digging up bulbs in the spring that we forgot were there? And what of the joy when something springs up from a patch that surely we didn't plant last fall? I am a hopeless case. I am incurable about spring bulbous things. I have printed your article to read over and over and over in hopes that I might be helped ^_^

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6938689

Oh, dear Dahlia, some of us cannot be helped! For the rest of us, however, we can endeavor to injure fewer bulbs by digging them up accidentally, to have only pleasant surprises (it seems I have frequent UNpleasant ones), and for my husband to put off getting that pacemaker as long as possible. I do enjoy serendipity and a casual randomness, but I would like to feel I choose it rather than have it thrust upon me. Good luck and please, don't let your eyes glaze over on my account!

Thank you for your kind comment. ^_^
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6940602

LOL, Dahlianut - did I ever laugh when I saw the title of this post!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6940674

Well digger I am the nut who plops into the TX forum in January to see if their spring bulbs are up ^_^ Glad I gave you a giggle. Good thing Carrie's great article is reminding me to curb my passion. like that's ever gonna happen snort

This message was edited Aug 12, 2009 8:22 PM

This message was edited Aug 12, 2009 8:30 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2009
8:28 AM

Post #6941385

Dahlia, I don't expect you to ever curb your passion. I didn't write this for NUTS, but rather for the sane 20% of DG readers! LOL! ^_^
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

December 7, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #7344796

This article just came up on random and it couldnt have been more timely, however a little too late. I just (10 minutes ago) ordered some sale bulbs since the temps are so warm and I really thought I was keeping placement and color in mind, but the pretty pictures and the sale price got me :-)

Hopefully they will bloom at all, if the ground is not yet frozen and if not, in the Spring, I won't remember I spent all that money for blooms I'll never see ...sigh.

Joyce

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #7348428

hi Joyce! At least you're digging more organic material into the soil, right? Let us know if they bloom!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #8096926

I'm sorry, but as a true plantaholic, I guess I will have to continue in the group therapy sessions much longer, as I cannot resolve myself to agree with these terms :)
how on earth could I ever promise not to order another bulb I don't have anywhere to put!!!!!!!!!!!!!
huh?

That would mean I was healed LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #8097286

I have to confess that I myself have not been true to my own, published, resolutions! And sadly, last year I spent a LOT of money for one big display of tulips and only one tulip came up! :(
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #8097794

moles? I can't plant tulips either. Never see them :(

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #8098776

I dunno. Lily, are you the one who plant them in tubs? Who is that? Brain fog...
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #8099213

nope not me. I can't grow a weed in a tub LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #8100424

Hmmmm. Must remember. Note to self: remember tub-bulb planter! Or bulb-tub?
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #8100458

ok, so do you put them in the tub in the fall and then just sit the tub out side somewhere? Does it have to have moisture? or do you keep it under the porch roof to stay dry until spring? Oh someone tell how to have tulips in pots LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #8106939

I think she chills the whole thing, tulips tub and all, in her garage until the right moment, then produces said tubs, which bloom according to the normal schedule. She lives, I believe, too far north for tulips to survive, at least the kind she likes. And she has big fancy metal urns or something. If I ever remember where I saw her posting, I'll try to post it here.
rroyce
Hillsborough, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8843185

I planted tulips in huge galvanized tin washtubs. They came up great the first year and made a wonderful dense show. Too closely planted for the next year though. All in all, it was a good solution for bulbs I had purchased on sale and had not already prepared a bed...
avenir
Terrace, BC
(Zone 4b)

October 10, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8843467

Hey Carrie ... Great article! I think I have committed all the bulb misdeeds that you describe, and am working on improving my approach. Self-imposed rules that I have already broken this year. 1) I'm not allowed to buy more bulbs until I have planted the last purchase. Excuse: The weather was bad and if I don't buy the others, they'll all be gone! 2) Always have your space ready first. Excuse: The other thing blooming in the space still looks good outside and hasn't been brought in (or died) yet ... and the weather is awful. 3) Plan the companions for each bulb planting. Excuse: There's a spot open and ready elsewhere, and anyhow, nature always looks good together. I have overcome ONE of my flaws, however. Since digital photography arrived, I take copious photos of my gardens and store them in a folder on my computer. As digital photos keep their "created" date, I know exactly WHEN the photo was taken, where things were, with what, etc. For new bulb plantings, I also use photos, make them opaque, and type the bulb name on the location. It works for me.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8864436

Good rules, and even better excuses! Thanks for your wonderful comments. My old computer and my old camera worked that way ... things are all different now,and things are labeled (by moi) with ridiculous titles like "some photos from Fall 11" which might have kids, grandkids, flowers I saw and liked, flowers I grew and liked, flowers I grew and didn't like, what XYZ looks like in the fall so I won't pull it up next year... not terribly handy.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yep! the1pony 3 Aug 12, 2009 2:52 PM
Every bit my Mother! NEILMUIR1 5 Aug 13, 2009 1:24 PM
Good advice Hemophobic 10 Aug 13, 2009 12:54 AM
now if we'll only listen... DiggerDee 7 Oct 26, 2011 8:12 AM
spring bulbsI daphnep 1 Aug 12, 2009 9:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America