Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

August 12, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6938713

We live in Az and Hubby has been offered a job in Pueblo, Co. We have seen alot of Colorado but, have not visited Pueblo.
Does anyone live in or near this area? We would greatly appreciate your input.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6938852

Wishing you well, Sunny. It seems there may be several of us that are transitioning from AZ to CO. If you do move to Colorado, I think you'll love it. It is truly a fantastic and beautiful state.
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

August 12, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6938936

Thanks Brenda. We have lived in Az and in our currant home for 12 years. I know that with all we have it will be ALOT of work.
I've googled and found alot of information on Pueblo but, would love some first hand info.
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6943955

Sunny AZ,

I have always found the following website to be extremely informative. http://www.city-data.com/city/Pueblo-Colorado.html

If you do move to Pueblo, you might want to check on the outlying areas.

Pewjumper
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

August 14, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6945996

Thanks Pewjumper. I'll go and check out the website. : )
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6949174

I drive through Pueblo from time to time on my way to Denver, but haven't spent much time there. It looks like a nice enough town and seems to have become a center for government operated institutions. The biggest drawback for many people is that it isn't in the mountains. But it isn't far from mountains and many other recreational areas.
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6956582

It's on the Arkasas River. It gets pretty hot there and tends to be very dry (even drier than Denver). Coming from the Pheonix area it will still seem cooler to you! It's a smallish city with a strong industrial base. It's not far from the mountains (situated kind of like Denver - on the plains right in front of the mountains).
demographic info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo,_Colorado
city web page: http://www.pueblo.us
chamber of commerce web page: http://www.pueblochamber.org
main local newspaper: http://www.chieftain.com
skiekitty
Parker, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6957957

Please, do yourself a favor and, if you're moving to Pueblo, move to Pueblo West. It's a sister city that grew up near the reservoir and is a beautiful little community. I see too many things on the news about Pueblo itself that wouldn't hearten me to move there, but Pueblo West? Definitely. But, very hot & dry for Colorado. Also, I don't know where in AZ you're from, but realize that Pueblo is a LITTLE town. Little - like around 50,000? So if you're from one of the burbs of Phoenix or Tucson, realize that. :)
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

August 17, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #6958172

Thanks for all the great info.
Skiekitty thanks for the Pueblo West info.
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #6958334

I ditto the Pueblo West recommendation.
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6958529

SUNNYAZ,

I echo the sentiments above about Pueblo West. Pueblo itself was a steel town, union blue collar that has been down on its luck, but I hear that has been changing over the years.

If you love your gardening like all of us do, think about the topography of your new place! Get up off the river bottom, good soil, but very cold air that comes down the Arkansas River Valley.

Also, I wrote about "island neighborhoods" when I was in college. In a nutshell it deals with the lack of crime in areas that are "isolated". These neighborhoods are usually small, they are located along roads that do not connect major destinations, (Like shopping centers, recreational areas, airports, government centers, interstate highways.) and there is only one way in and out of your location that is hedged in by natural or man made barriers.

Good luck with your move!
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

August 27, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6995507

Thanks again for the info. Looks like if we move it will be sometime in Oct.
It's nice to get first hand info.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 28, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6997556

Please keep us posted about your move SunnyAZ.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #6998787

Then you might have to change your screen name to SunnyAZinCO!
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

August 28, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6999231

SunnyAZinCo thats perfect Brenda. : ) I'll definately keep ya posted.
Lillyz
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6999767

Hi, I'm mostly a lurker but wanted to put my 2 cents in. Pueblo West is nice enough but it doesnt have many trees, the wind howls out there but you do get a great view of Pikes Peak. Lake Pueblo state park is nearby, so if you want to go boating or fishing or water skiing it can be fun. The mountains are not that far away, maybe 30-45 minutes. The Arkansas river above the reservoir is a great place to go white water rafting or in some of the pullouts to go fishing. Below the reservoir and through town there is a kayak run. Up on the mesa there are alot of farms, and there are farmer's markets this time of year. For me, I think that autumn is the best time of year. The summers can be so hot, I dont usually go out and garden in the middle of the day. The winters are mild here, comparing to the Denver metro area. Spring here is like alot of areas of Colorado, very tempermental. Sometimes going up to the 80s and then down to the teens, all in the same day People are friendly here. The cost of living is a lower here compared to the bigger metro area such as Denver and Colorado Springs. thats about all I can think of.

Lilly
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #7000340

Great to hear from you again Lilly. Glad to know you are still around.
Lillyz
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2009
7:58 AM

Post #7000528

Pajaritomt, i've been lurking for awhile, I let my subscription lapse. Im glad to be back.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #7001348

Well, glad you are back -- we have a lot of fun here and learn things, too.
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

August 29, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #7002157

Lilly...thanks for all the info. I hope you don't mind but, I will probably have alot of questions for you.
What areas of town do you suggest when looking for a house?
Was just looking at Pueblo's currentt temp... 80
We are 109. : (
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #7002193

You will think you moved to Alaska, SunnyAZ! Comparatively speaking, that is.
Lillyz
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2009
11:11 AM

Post #7003896

well it depends on how far your hubby wants to commute. Belmont is nice, its very close to the university as is University Park, Northridge is new too. The mesa area is nice too. From what Ive been reading in the paper they are going to develop an area near St. Mary Corwin Hospital that has a small lake,that might be a nice place its on the south side. When the wind tower plant is finally finished it will be on Pueblo's south side too. You can get around Pueblo in about 15 minutes from one side of town to the other. Pueblo West is a little farther out and the commute into Pueblo takes a little while longer and its Pueblo's "rush hour" oh and something I forgot to mention is that Pueblo doesnt have watering restrictions like some of the other areas.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #7152041

I am in Pueblo West. If you are thinking of buying a house, this is a good time to do it (re: the economy). Belmont has some bentonite soil (you don't want it) in some areas. Yes, the wind can howl in Pueblo West - and it can be a hot wind, too. But I've never lived anywhere that the wind didn't howl now and then. I have lived here long enough to complain about, and avoid, "the long commute between Pueblo and Pueblo West" just like everyone else.
But the truth is: it averages only about 20-30 minutes to most of Pueblo, but it is a small town and we're a bit spoiled. Also, Pueblo West is sprawled over about 50 square miles, so there is quite a bit of variation, even in the weather.
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

October 20, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #7190934

Well, it is official we will soon be residents of Pueblo, CO. A couple weeks ago we visited the area and loved it. : )
Hubby officially accepted the job last friday and will start work middle of Nov. His job is at the airport.
We drove around alot of areas and loved Pueblo West and noticed there where a lot of homes for sale.
We have been busy busy busy getting ready for our move.
Hubby will go first and look for a place to buy or rent. I hope to be able to get there sometime in Dec.
Thanks everyone for your help. : ) We are very excited on our upcoming move but, very busy getting ready for it.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 20, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #7190988

Welcome to the Rocky Mountains SunnyAZ ^_^
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #7191066

Yes, welcome to colorful Colorado, SunnyAZinCO!

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #7191909

The Pueblo County Extension Service is moving to new offices around December. After you both are settled, I recommend the Extension Service for advice on Gardening/Landscaping in Colorado. Also check out Pueblo West's new green-built Library. That is where I work. For gardening books with plant lists, I recommend regional authors.
And Welcome to Colorado!
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

October 21, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7192008

Welcome to the Rockies, Pollengarden!
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #7194730

Welcome to Colorado!
Lillyz
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #7195025

Welcome to Colorado! Hope you like it here.
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

October 23, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #7199376

Thanks for the welcomes. : )
We are busy getting ready for the move. Boy, we have sure accumulated alot of stuff.
Moving is not fun! But, We are really looking forward to after the move and living in Colorado.

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #7230195

Welcome to Rocky Mountain living. You can tall that all of us love it. Gardening can be challenging here, but has its rewards as well -- fewer bugs and weeds than in wet and warm climates. I second Pollengarden's suggestion about contacting the county extension service. I use the ones here quite a bit. It is their job to help you learn to garden in your area. It is my experience that they are very helpful and call upon the local agriculture college for research relevant to the area.

BTW, welcome to the Rocky Mountain Forum, Pollengarden as well. I haven't seen your posts before --- so I assume you are new, but pardon me if you are not.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7231925

I'm new to Dave's Garden - I was using "Plantfinder" so often that I decided I may as well sign up and make it my homepage (so much better than news headlines). I am not new to Colorado, my family has been here since the Pikes Peak gold rush. We settled in Pueblo nine years ago, after my huband finished his 20 years in the military. While he was in the military I've gardened (or tried) in various places including South Carolina, North Dakota, and Sicily, Italy. I have allergies, & I picked "pollengarden" because "no-pollen-well-I-guess-that-isn't-realistic-so-lets-try-for-less-airborne-pollen" was too long.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7232369

I used Plant Files so much that I finally signed up with Dave's Garden. It just kept coming up in my google searches for information on stuff that I wanted to grow.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2009
5:42 AM

Post #7232559

If I haven't said so already, welcome, Pollengarden!
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

November 2, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #7234111

Pollengarden...my hubby just retired after 20 years in the military also. His retirement date was just this past Saturday.
Of course, we had no idea Pueblo would be our home after retirement but, after visiting the area I know we are going to love it.
Hubby is leaving in less than two weeks boy, it sure came fast.

Lillyz
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2009
4:28 AM

Post #7258752

welcome to the rocky mountain forum pollengarden. hope to see more of your posts :)
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

November 16, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #7279390

Well, the move has begun. Hubby arrived in Pueblo yesterday. The roads were not good and he hit a bad snow storm thankfully, he arrived safely.
Today is his first day at new job. He called this morning and said the temp was 17. Our lows at our home in Az was in the 40's.
Even though the weather is going to be so different I'm so looking forward to finding a home and making the move.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #7279418

The tradeoff is that you won't ever see 120+ in Pueblo. Not a bad thing.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #7279455

We had to drive through some serious snow the other night, too... coming back from Grand Junction. Hoping you find your new home soon!!
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

November 16, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #7279473

I agree. We have lived in Az for 12 years and the summer's have not been fun. We have been so ready for a change and then this job offer came along.
I'm kinda wishing we could have moved before winter but, oh well. Hubby and I both grew up in Idaho and loved it so, hopefully we'll adjust quickly to the cold temps.
It's time to go and buy a coat and boots. LOL
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #7279496

And some sweaters!
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7279873

I'm a fan of wool sweaters. Those big, bulky, nylon-covered things are not nearly as nice.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #7279987

I am a big fan of fleece! Soft and warm and easy to launder. But wool sweaters are nice, too.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #7280741

Fleece is my favorite too!
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7280855

Fleece is nice. I find wool comfortable over a wider temperature range.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7280884

Fleece can get too hot. Wool breathes better.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #7281179

The sheep know what they are doing. :)
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7282577

^_^
Lillyz
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #7283684

I dont think that you will really need a heavy coat, maybe once or twice during the winter. Most of the time you can get by with wearing fleece and/or a sweater. But I do recommend sunscreen and sunglasses, it is sunny here :).
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 17, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #7283811

Don't forget mittens SunnyAZ. Mittens are very important for making perfect snowballs.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #7284136

So Lillyz, is it pretty mild in Pueblo then? We get very cold here and often quite a bit of snow, but I don't know much about Pueblo. (An assortment of winter coats seem necessary here... one light one for mild days, one medium heavy one for typical winter days, and one very heavy duty one for waaaay cold and snowy days). And, as we have to walk 5 dogs 4 times a day, we use every one of that assortment of coats, LOL!

Brenda
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #7284331

I don't own an actual winter coat and haven't in decades. I have a wind-proof shell parka (uninsulated) that serves fine 90% of the time and also a thin down vest that can be worn alone (sunny but chilly days) or under my shell for the few really cold, wet days.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #7284481

Really, DenverJude? You get some big snow up there, don't you? We have friends in Arvada... maybe you are just way hardier than me! 16 years in AZ tends to thin the blood...
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

November 18, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #7284751

We are now enjoying "2 sweater" weather here in Southern AZ...You need a sweater to wear to work...then it warms up so much that you forget to wear your sweater home that day...so tomorrow you need the 2nd sweater! Eventually you have to remember to bring them home from work. LOL Jo
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7284768

I like the layered approach too. A thin nylon shell for when it is windy or rainy or super cold. Other than that it is either a light wool sweater or a medium wool sweater or, when playing soccer or similar, a cotton sweatshirt. Gloves and hats help too, and wool socks.

I also notice that conditioning yourself to the cold helps. I don't like to go out for an all-day outing in the mountains without going out for a shorter time or two first. Doing something in the yard for a couple hours on a nice nippy day in late November or early December makes a difference. The people who only let themselves out in the cold for 5 minutes at most never adapt and suffer more overall.
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #7284937

We get snow off & on (usually big dumps sandwiched between warm dry weather). It doesn't often get much below 30 degrees except once in a great while. And it generally warms up into the 40s or 50s or more within a day or two of a snowstorm. My down vest over long sleeves with a wind/rain shell over it keeps me plenty warm on the rare super cold days. And I'm not likely to be out at 4 am when the night time lows in the teens or negative digits happen on the few nights of the year it happens. On Thursday it was around 70, Friday afternoon through Saturday afternoon we got 8 or so inches of snow (it dumped the usual dry fluffy snow), the sun came out Sunday and by yesterday it was back up near 40 and today was in the 50s. All the snow has melted.

Thumbnail by DenverJude
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2009
6:42 AM

Post #7285491

Huh! I thought Denver was much colder. See how much we learn on DG!

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #7286267

"May you live interesting times" is supposedly an old Chinese curse - and driving over Raton pass can get really interesting in the Winter Months. You and your hubby please be safe and careful SunnyAZ. Most storms seem to hit everywhere around us but skip over Pueblo, but we have made up for it this fall with several storms that have dropped more precipitation here than the surrounding area. Your Husband ran into one of them. Weather-wise, we have higher highs and drier dries than most of Colorado in both summer and winter. Although Pueblo is known for its hot summers, winter is still our longest season. I lived in North Dakota & winter there was very different from Colorado (I don't know how similar Idaho weather is to North Dakota). In North Dakota, it slowly got colder and colder and colder and we were able to adapt and get used to it - we ignored the thermometer and kept an eye on the wind and windchill. Colorado weather is so variable night to day, day to day, week to week; that cold nasty weather still manages to be an unpleasant surprise. When we left work Monday night (the day after the storm) at 9 PM, I wore a medium weight Parka, another coworker had a jacket, and another was in short shirt-sleeves. I might have been able to get by without the parka, but not without the driving gloves I keep in the pocket. To sum up, the dry cold of the Rockies feels better than the damp cold of the rest of the U.S., and the hot summers in Pueblo (similar to Grand Junction, bsavage) shouldn't bother someone from Arizona.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7286545

As we're talking about hot summers, I would mention that I was a bit surprised to find that I really need my a/c in the summer!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #7286577

Do you? We don't have one and haven't even felt the need. Must be a little cooler here in the summer.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #7286591

Yes, well our home is upstairs from the RV Park office, laundry, lodge room, showers. When they built the residence, they insulated the heck out of it (which is great for the winter!), but in the summer the hot air rises and it stays very warm in the house. Our summer temps can get into the 90's. So, I just have a window unit but that does the trick.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2009

Post #7286724

That's what counts!
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #7286757

We've got a whole house swamp cooler. It works great!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #7290734

Swamp coolers work great in the west. But we don't even have that. Since our bedroom is on the second floor and we have good cross ventilation we stay pretty cool even on the hottest nights.
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2009
8:08 AM

Post #7292077

Yeah - unless it's miserably hot for days on end, we can cool the house down nicely before going to sleep and don't need to run it at night. It's a godsend during the day. We also often use it as a whole house fan to move air through the house (fan on, pump off).
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2009

Post #7293096

We had swamp coolers (plus a/c) in our house in AZ, during spring and fall they worked great. I would think they would be just about perfect here in CO.
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2009
6:32 AM

Post #7295425

Yeah - it struggles on the few 100+ days we get. I can only imagine how hard it would have to work in AZ heat!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2009
6:48 AM

Post #7295450

When I was a kid in New Orleans my father's office building had a swamp cooler with a cooling tower about as tall as the office building. I remember thinking how cool it was in his office building at the time, but looking back on it, how on earth did they ever get enough water to evaporate to cool anything in that damp climate? At home we didn't have anything but fans but when I was about 12 we got a room air conditioner. Sigh. That was the most wonderful invention ever.
Now in the South, everyone has air conditioning and they seek to make their houses as cold as Alaska in Winter. I guess southerners all have had lots of traumatic experiences with heat and want as much cold as they can get when they can get it.
Though the plants love the South, I am quite happy in the Rockies -- with occasional trips down South to quench my homesickness.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #7296309

We moved here in 2000. My realtor said that one Evaporative/Swamp Cooler used to do it. But then house sizes, the relative humidity, and peoples cooling expectations have all gone up. Now it takes a minimum of two big Swampers. My realtor recommended central air, and we got central air. With my allergies and my husbands medications (he feels too hot), we keep the windows closed and the AC running more than most people. Since then, various neighbors around us have had to re-roof, and decided to change from roof-mounted swampers to cental air at the same time. They all visited our house first to check out our central air, and they all didn't like it - it felt too cold and too dry - but in the end they all got it. I guess they decided they didn't need to keep their house as cold as we keep ours, and they could open windows and/or run ceiling fans between times.
On the bright side, we don't run the furnace much - we usually turn it off if the sun is shining, even on cold days.
Lillyz
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #7315071

sorry for the late reply, Ive been busy with preparing for Thanksgiving. Brenda, yes it seems like the weather is milder here in Pueblo. At least during the winter. Ive lived here since Sept of 2000. we have had a drought and it seems like not too much snow and rain. I lived about 35 miles north of Denver before that. It seems like we got alot more snow there than here in Pueblo. The winter nights here are colder, I guess because Pueblo is in a valley.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #7315574

Thanks for sharing the info, Lilly. I know Nancy will appreciate any insight on Pueblo and surrounding areas.

Brenda
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #7381299

Hi Nancy, I'm wondering how the move is going?? Hope all is well...

Brenda
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 19, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7382010

Me too! Hope you are getting all snuggled in to your new home for the holidays ^_^

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #7383873

If I remember right Brenda the movers were here last Tuesday, so hopefully she is getting settled in up there as we speak...
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

December 22, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #7390495

The move has been made. We arrived last Saturday morn. We are exhausted and still have a gazzilion boxes to unpack.
Animals did great and are beginning to get aquainted with their new aurroundings.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7390540

Yeah - glad you made it safely!

Enjoy Christmas in your new home, hopefully with a little snow!!
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

December 22, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #7390553

Thank you...snow in the forcast today.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #7390596

Glad you're getting settled in and the animals are, too! Though I'm sure it's a bit crazy right now, I do hope you can find time to enjoy the holiday. And it only seems right that your first Christmas in Colorado is a white one (hopefully!).
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 22, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #7390624

Welcome to CO SunnyAZ and fam ^_^ Ya what Brenda said.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7390908

Welcome to the Rockies, SunnyAZ. You will find Pueblo pretty sunny, too, but no where near as hot.
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #7391196

WooHoo!
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #7391639

Ditto what everybody said. I'm in Denver, like DenverJude, and we're excited that you've decided to join us Coloradoans!

Merry Christmas! And happy unpacking... Having just moved twice in the last three months I can sympathize :-(

Judith
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #7391650

Oh, no, revclaus! Did you move all of your plants? You had so many.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #7393534

Hi paja! Yes, I had to move out of our very large apartment with a 9 x 12 balcony. Too big and too expensive. I'm now in a senior community with huge gardening limitations. I gave away almost everything . But my DG friends are helping with that. Feel free to join us at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060779/.
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

December 23, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #7393946

Thanks for the welcomes. : )
This pic was from our home office window this morning.

Thumbnail by SUNNYAZ

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 24, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #7395587

That would be Wiley and Mrs Wiley methinks.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 24, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #7395782

Yup. Sunny, you'll have to change your handle to sunnyco. Did you get much snow down there? I woke up to about 8 inches. Quite a change from AZ.
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

December 25, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #7396788

We got just enough to blanket the ground. All is pretty much gone now. My teenage daughter had a blast playing in it. : )
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #7396795

Snow is a wonderful blessing unless it comes with massive wind or other disasters.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 25, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #7397151

O hello Ms Bearer of Good Cheer Paj. Snorkel.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2009
5:02 AM

Post #7397170

Merry First Christmas in Colorado, Nancy!
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

December 29, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #7407726

And Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

December 30, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #7409634

Thanks Brenda and Roybird.
Things are going good. I have to say though I'm looking forward to summer.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7409644

I understand, LOL! You will LOVE summer up here!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 30, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #7409735

Spring is very prettiful too!
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

December 30, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #7409990

Summer and fall are my favs.
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2010
1:52 AM

Post #7507038

Helllooooo!?

SunnyAZ come out, come out, wherever you are?

Did you get everthing settled into the new home?

When will you send pictures of your new garden?

Did'ya have to go shopping for the cold weather clothes yet?

Hope all is well!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 29, 2010
2:25 AM

Post #7507171

YA what Pewjumper said.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2010
10:14 AM

Post #7507943

Nancy, come share with us! Everyone in the RM forum wants to see your recent pictures too!
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

January 30, 2010
2:04 AM

Post #7510618

I'm sorry...here I am! : )
We are getting settled in. We decided to rent first until we get to know the area. The house we rented there is not a single tree, bush or plant. The front is rock the back dirt. : (
I brought alot of my potted plants with me and surprisingly they have done well in the house. We had an extra room that we have designated the plant room.
I sure miss not having any trees though.
This is my Iochroma that seems to be very happy indoors.

Thumbnail by SUNNYAZ

SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

January 30, 2010
2:22 AM

Post #7510672

Yes, we did have to shop for some cold weather clothes.
Although, we have been out on several occasions and I seen quite a few people wearing flip flops. Brrrrrr. I miss wearing my flip flops but, I couldn't deal with cold feet. LOL
This is one of my favorite Oxalis that is blooming. I'm so glad I brought several of my potted plants with me.

Thumbnail by SUNNYAZ

lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7511258

What a cute little oxalis - very pretty!
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7511598

You & your DH probably did a very smart thing by renting a place until you got to know the area better. It will give you a chance to check out the fine details and let yor DH get settled into his new job.

There are several federal incentives if you buy a house, some of these incentives will be going away very soon. I would talk with a realtor and confirm the deadlines for these programs. If the realtor can't explain these programs, you are talking to a dummy. Find another realtor.

The writing on the wall? When you look for a house, keep your eyes peeled for grafitti on street signs, buildings, trash cans and even plants. This is a tip off that there are less than desirable individuals in the area.

Call the police? Call the police on their business line and ask them which areas get the least crimminal calls. Any policeman with a few years under his belt can tell you about areas that are good & bad.

Also, I wrote about "island neighborhoods" when I was in college. In a nutshell it deals with the lack of crime in areas that are "isolated". These neighborhoods are usually small, they are located along roads that do not connect major destinations, (Like shopping centers, recreational areas, airports, government centers, interstate highways.) and there is only one way in and out of your location that is hedged in by natural or man made barriers.

Good luck with what the future brings.

Praise God that Spring is almost here!

Sonny

DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2010
2:47 AM

Post #7514018

I was just wondering about SunnyAZ as well, Pewjumper!

Sunny - renting is good. You'll be able to explore the area and find the kind of place you'll like best.
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

February 1, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7518598

We have enjoyed getting out on the weekends and exploring Colorado. I love old barns and buildings. Here is a pic from an outing a couple of weeks ago.

Thumbnail by SUNNYAZ

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 1, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7518763

Sounds like you're settling in quite nicely SunnyAZ. How exciting to have a 'plant room'! ^_^
greenjay
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #7518807

You are not too far away from the Serenity Springs Big Cat Refuge (http://www.serenityspringswildlife.org/index.htm)

I have been there, every spring they try to have a volunteer day for local gardeners to come and plant stuff around the enclosures. It is absolutely incredible.
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

February 1, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7519186

That is awesome. Thanks for the website greenjay. : ^ )
Yes, I'm loving my plant room. It is really has helped me get through the cold days in CO.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7519192

Nice place greenjay.
greenjay
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7519413

that is an EXTREMELY cool place to visit, as a volunteer or a "tourist".

The farmer across the road apparently has a sense of humor. There are several dozen Big Cats in the refuge, including siberian tigers and a barbary lion. They make loud noises all the time, roaring and chuffing and whatever. The farmer across the road has peacocks. So when you are sitting in your car waiting for the gate to open, you hear ROAR ROAR Heeeeelp! ROAR CHUFF Heeeelp!
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7519496

Oh, that's FUNNY about the peacocks!
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2010
11:19 PM

Post #7519964

I'll bet he has freaked out a few people! LoL. And they say its quiet in the country.
ineedacupoftea
Denver, CO

February 3, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7526780

Welcome to sunny Colorado, and the gardening community.
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2010
9:42 PM

Post #7642283

I hope you like spring in the rockies! It's our snowiest season.
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

March 22, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #7648186

Boy, one day the weather is beautiful and the next snowing and cold. Very unpredictable!

Thumbnail by SUNNYAZ

dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7648335

That is Spring in the Rockies.
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7648589

Welcome to the spring roller coaster! We'll have another ride in the fall.
Lillyz
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7648835

I was checking for signs of life besides the lawn getting a little green. My tulips and daffodils are coming up and so are the ice plants, daylilies and clemitis(?). Its such a beautiful day, Its days like this that make me happy to live in Colorado.
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

March 22, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7649213

It was a beautiful day today! We ate dinner out on our deck. (=
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7650137

Nancy, this is the time of year when our AZ friends are dreading the upcoming heat, while we are celebrating the beginning of a beautiful spring and summer!
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7651309

Not me! ^_^ Sorry to butt in, but our weather conditions up/down here are more like those in CO than in the Phoenix Valley. And yes, you never know exactly what the weather will be like in 24 hours, it even surprises the weatherman! I love it!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7651496

Ok all you northerners - quit bragging! LOL It rained again here today believe it or not.
Lillyz
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7653307

5,000 people were stranded at DIA yesterday. and the power went out last night during the height of the storm. We even had thundersnow. and Sunny sorry for hijacking your thread.
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7653488

We had "thundersnow" here yesterday too, and something called gropple...
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

March 25, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #7654656

Not a problem Lillyz. Yep...thundersnow...we thought we were crazy thinking we heard thunder during the snow storm.
I'm so looking forward to our first summer here! (=
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7657120

I love thundersnow!
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #7657929

Me too, Jude!
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7658172

Thundersnow is brand new to me... we had some a week or so ago, very cool!
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8516086

Sunnyaz,

It has been a while, how is your family & garden doing?

Sonny

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rocky Mountain Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies? pajaritomt 166 Jun 25, 2007 3:26 PM
Invasive for the rest of the country still invasive here? MQN 33 May 28, 2007 6:36 AM
Milkweed - Asclepias seeds? hello85 3 Aug 14, 2007 10:15 PM
Greenhouse GMan13 126 Mar 5, 2007 10:48 PM
This might brighten you up......(continued) ginger749 162 Jan 3, 2012 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America