Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Grapes dying on the vine

Gloucester, MA

Does any one know what we have going on? The vines have been in for three years. Very few grapes last year. The grapes look like they have blossom end rot. The grapes stay quite firm feeling until they are all brown. Too much water? Soil imbalance? ???

Thumbnail by North_of_Boston
Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

North, do you know what kind of grapes they are?
We have blossom end rot on our tomatoes.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

here is a link on black grape rot

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r302100111.html

Gloucester, MA

A seedless concord. The other three vines on the same arbor appear to be fine at the moment.

Gloucester, MA

Thank you for that link. Last year we did remove leaves. And of course this year we have had rain and more rain. RE:Damage control - Do you think the best thing to do now would be remove the bunches with damage, prune back some of the leaves on the north facing side of the arbor and use a fungicide?

I don't see how that could hurt at this point. you want to minimize damage as much as possible.

Gloucester, MA

Thanks again

you are very welcome

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

I always cut my grape vine way back after a couple of years growth. It never interfered with next years growth and produced more fruit. I think by doing this you are also getting rid of anything that might have latched on to it causing long term problems. Weather has a lot to do with size and abundance of fruit. I'm certainly no expert but got a lot of jelly out of that vine here in NC.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.