Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Tips and Tricks on Keeping Pests Out of Your Houseplants: Overkill?

Communities > Forums > Article: Tips and Tricks on Keeping Pests Out of Your Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Tips and Tricks on Keeping Pests Out of Your HouseplantsReplies: 0, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gsteinbe
Trenton, NJ

August 13, 2009
11:28 AM

Post #6941581

Isn't all this a bit of overkill? Maybe I just haven't had a serious enough infestation of anything yet. I've only gotten serious about houseplants over the last five years or so, but I *did* have whiteflies pretty badly at one point, and I had a minor aphid infestation last spring, and the gnats get bothersome at times. But I survived all that, and all my plants did too. I just think that this article seems a bit overly obsessive. If a person is only going to minimize risk by doing all this washing and sterilizing and quarantining (not even cure or guarantee pest-free plants), then is all the work worth it? I guess I just don't believe in babying my plants. If they don't survive a whitefly infestation, then they weren't worth having. That which does not kill them makes them strong. I do a few things to minimize problems (such as keeping most of my houseplants on a cool sun porch during winter to keep the insect population down), but houseplants are enough work without having to sterilize my potting tools after touching each plant or keeping careful watch not to touch the tip of my watering can to any plant or pot. Of course, I don't have any touchy, sensitive plants like orchids. Maybe if I did, I'd be more paranoid about pests and diseases. I *do* have a lot of houseplants, however -- well over 50 different species, counting those that go outside for the summer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tips and Tricks on Keeping Pests Out of Your Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What a great piece of input! Horseshoe 0 Mar 30, 2007 12:56 AM
fungus gnats budhead 5 Sep 13, 2007 1:06 PM
outstanding article! gessiegail 0 Apr 29, 2008 10:17 PM
So great to know... eponagrrl 0 Jul 29, 2008 1:17 AM
fungus gnats sharizma 1 Nov 13, 2008 7:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America