Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: how to make PVC pipe climable for vines

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 2, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marzissa
Irvine, CA

August 13, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6943482

Hi, my goal is to make a trellis support out of PVC pipe. First I have to make sure the vine will be able to grow up to get to the trellis which will be about five feet up.

Any ideas? I think I need to texture it somehow. Maybe I could cover it with netting, or us a textured paint?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6943853

What sort of vine are you trying to grow? If it's the type that twines around things then the key is for the PVC pipes to not be too wide so that the vine can twine around them. If the pipes are too fat, then you'll have to help it out by tying it on or something until it gets tall enough to catch onto the trellis above. With vines like that I don't think texturing it is going to do much, and if your vines are the ones that stick to things I think they'd be able to stick to the PVC without any help so I'm not sure you need to do anything to the pipe.
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 17, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6957621

Whatever vine you're trying to grow, if you feel the pipe needs some texture to help the vine cling, you can use a wire wheel in a drill. (assuming you don't have one on a bench grinder in your shop) The drill version is available at Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace hardware for less than 5 bucks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America