Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: broken goose leg

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 9, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6943861

One of my spring goslings broke its leg today. I think my one of my goats caused the break by standing on the goose's foot.

There is no open wound, the leg is just flailing at the joint, looks disjointed.

Has anyone had any success mending/splinting a broken leg on (heavy) fowl?

I would like to try to save the goose, but I'm thinking it is going to be impossible.

Catscan
Lodi
United States

August 14, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6943905

If it is broken at the joint, I don't think you can save the leg. A lot of chickens do well with one leg--but I am not sure about a bird as heavy as a goose.

Maybe someone here has had an experience with this?
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #6943963

we can not save it :(
Catscan
Lodi
United States

August 14, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6944172

Who said?
Catscan
Lodi
United States

August 14, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6944182

If you google "goose broken leg" there are a lot of people discussing the situation.

This one probably doesn't apply--but it is cute:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/11/bionic-goose-happy-to-have-new-leg-disappointed-by-lack-of-retr/
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

August 14, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6944183

I know of someone who had a duck with a broken leg at the joint right where the leg starts. They tried to splint it but the duck got out of it. They finally just let it alone and let happen what would happen. The duck is now walking. The leg healed up. There is hope.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

August 14, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6944203

This is what you find if you google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=goose broken leg&aq=0&oq=goose broken le&aqi=g1

People claim to see one-legged wild geese doing well.
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6945281

Thanks everyone,

The leg was shattered in the thigh, you could feel grinding and splintering when moving the leg with your hand. I thought it was around the joint area, but wasn't. My husband moved the leg to see what could be done to help it, you could feel the shattered area. It was obvious that it was splintered. The goose also was showing hard signs of stress (not drinking or interested in its food) . It kept its head low.

I put the goose in a sling part of the day yesterday to help it. It wasn't as tame as my other geese and what little strength it had was pulled down quickly, I then took it out of the sling and put it on a bedding of fresh hay.

Years ago I saved a chicken with a broken leg by using a sling and it worked. By the end of the evening yesterday, I could tell the situation was going downhill. I was saddened because I enjoy my geese and it has been a long time since I lost one of them.
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6949985

So sorry to hear about your goose, justmelisa. :-(
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

August 16, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #6952009

I'm so sorry about your goose. It is true that with a break such as that there is little that you can do. That is not always true. I have splinted andy duck and goose legs. My favorite splint is actually made for fingers. It is soft metal and padded with foam. I can easily bend and reshape it as I need it. It even has little tabs that can be bent around the leg. I added velcro straps and then wrap the whole thing with vet wrap to stabalise it. I can easily take it off to check it or re do it as needed.

I've also used padded popcicle sticks and medical tape, but it is not as easy as the metal splint. (I even used this on a fawns ankle this spring)

The key to having an animals limb set successfully is age. The younger they are the better and faster it will heal.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America