Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: New thread: Hummingbird SUPER PLANT #4

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 23, Views: 618
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HBJoe
Jetersville, VA

August 14, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6944171

Good evening, my friends!
Hummingbird SUPERPLANT #4 was originally a native of Mexico, as are so many of our colorful plants. By the time the Conquistadors completed their systematic looting and genocide of ancient civilizations in Mexico, this plant was probably well established in our arid Southwestern states. It is especially abundant in Texas.

Classified as a "xeric," meaning they need little water, this woody bush is best suited from zone 10 through 7. Three plants grace my property in Southern Va. (7b) and they constantly bear tubular red to reddish-orange flowers that are loaded with nectar, tiny spiders and insects. This is one of the few plants where one may often observe 2 - 5 hummingbirds feeding on the same plant at the same time. When fights occur, other hummers quickly zoom in to feed. This plant loves sun. Planted next to the South wall of your home, where stored heat creates a micro-climate, this 5' x 6' bush will explode with color. Year after year, you can consistently watch hummers go nuts over this plant. It is certainly one of my favorites. Identify the plant. Yes my photos may intentionally be tricky.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6955214

?????
HBJoe
Jetersville, VA

August 17, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6956422

Sorry about that! Photo was posted separately. I don't know if the problem was cyber-gremlins or my stupidity, but the browse button would not appear and photo would not download. The plant is found all over Texas. Please check out the photo under SUPER PLANT #4.

I love Texas folks, so I'll just have to tell you: Texas Firecracker (Anisacanthsu wrightii).

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6957672

Love the Flame Acanthus! We see hummers buzzing it every morning.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60921/

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HBJoe
Jetersville, VA

August 18, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6958832

Yep. By whatever name this plant is known , the old saying sure applies. "Build a better mousetrap and---"-
"Build a better hummingbird plant and the hummers will come. And they do!
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6966065

Once I had my first Flame Acanthus, I loved it. So did hummers and butterflies! Easy to propagate from seed. Too easy sometimes...they appear where I don't want them, so I pot them up and share!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2009
4:11 AM

Post #6967290

I will have to watch for the sprouts.
maggiecowgirl
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #7062775

My 'Rubies' would rather sip from a Flame Acanthus than the feeder! Wow! Any Hummingbird lover has just GOT to get one!

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 15, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7067464

I love a plant that I can put in the ground, ignore completely year long, and get rewarded with beautiful orange blooms! That is my kind of plant!! :-)

Carla

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #7107299

I guess it wouldn't make it thru a Georgia Winter.?? Sure is a nice plant.
I'll have to look it up.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7108191

In the same zone why wouldn't it?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #7109021

Want to trade for some seed, send me a d-mail.
Thanks Charleen

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #7110014

I haven't collected seeds on it, but will give it a try.
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #7504572

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any of these seeds for trade? I have some Scarlett Milkweed seeds, and maybe a few other hummer favorites. Thanks, Jennifer
dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7505955

Look what I have hanging in the window above my computer. I also have a wooden one that I whittled years ago. We use it as a decoration for our Christmas tree.

Don

Thumbnail by dgal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7506025

Those are so cute.
I have some Christmas Decorations very similiar to that.
i paint some too.
sphinxmama48
Oklahoma City, OK

February 19, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7572300

Hi, I'm new to DG. I got some seeds of Flame Acanthus and will wintersow them soon. It is hardy to zone 7 if anyone is wondering.

I first put in a butterfly/moth garden and the hummingbirds began to show up, nectaring on the same plants I put out for the butterflies. So, I started hanging a feeder as well. Then over the last 2 or 3 years, I started hanging a fruit feeder for the butterflies that nectar on rotting fruit (e.g., bananas, peaches, oranges, watermelon). I noticed the tiny fruit flies,,,and so did the hummers! So, they have plants, feeder, and fruit flies now, too.

Anyway, I decided to expand my front bed to include some special hummer plants in the form of Salvias, and intend to start winter sowing these next month: S. regla, S. darcyi, S. greggii, and tons more).

Am so ready for spring after this cold, snowy winter!

Susan

P.S. Am also a Monarch Waystation

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7573512

That is great Susan, I hadn't thought about the hummers getting the flies. We always learn something from one another on Dave's. Nice to have you as a Monarch Waystation also.
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #7575936

I've got some fruit out now, Susan. Not for the hummers, of course, but I saw a Red Admiral flying around, so am trying to keep it around for a while. I raised fruit flies years ago in genetics lab. I remember I was too much of a softie to kill them after the experiment was over, so I took them home and released them all. At the time, I didn't know about the hummers eating insects, but now I prefer to think the hummers had a feast that week!
sphinxmama48
Oklahoma City, OK

January 8, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8298599

Resurrecting this thread from last year, I've been gone for awhile and now I'm back, thank goodness! I have a question about the Flame Acanthus we discussed here. I planted my seeds and had 3 nice seedlings I planted in the ground last spring. They got fairly big and bushy. I am sure they'll get bigger if they make it thru the winter. However, they did not bloom and I'm wondering if they are typical perennials that will bloom this year. Anyone know?

I thought I ought to mention another plant that was just a HUGE attractor for the hummers and the big butterflies, e.g., Cloudless Sulphurs, Monarchs, and Gulf Fritillaries. It was the Dwarf Red Porterweed (Stachytarpheta 'Red Compacta'). Not hardy here - I think it is only hardy to Zone 10 - I am willing to replace this one yearly because it certainly does double duty in the garden. Porterweeds, if you're not familiar with them, produce flower stalks that resemble wands. The "wands" only produce a few flowers at a time, but the plants may have 20 or 30 wands at a time. The flowers grow in a circular pattern around the stalk, and it's so funny to watch the hummers circling the stalks when feeding. They just go round and round and round. Almost makes one dizzy just watching them! LOL!

Susan

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 8, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8298608

Susan...mine die back but will come again and be bushier next summer. I don't have the porterweed but understand it was a butterfly magnet for nectaring.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

January 8, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8298713

Susan: Once your Flame Acanthus starts flowering you'll soon have other seedlings popping up. It's never invasive (at least, it hasn't been for me, and I've got plenty of them) but they do offer volunteers with some regularity. And I agree with you about the Porterweed -- they're all great as butterfly nectar sources. And they're very easy to propagate from cuttings. A must for the butterfly garden.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
http://www.dallasbutterflies.com
sphinxmama48
Oklahoma City, OK

January 8, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8299570

Thanks everyone for responding! I have been butterfly, moth, and hummingbird gardening for some time now. Started with the butterflies and moths about 10 years ago, and eventually began to notice the hummers were attracted to most of the plants I grew for the butterflies, so started hanging feeders out for them as well.

The hummers' feeder is next to the rotting fruit feeder (I use a suet feeder) and they have another meal of the fruit flies as well. Great combo!

I was just concerned because the Flame Acanthus hadn't bloomed last year, I know that is typical of most perennials, but since this particular plant had some tropical tendencies (even tho hardy to my zone), I really expected it to bloom last year. Great foliage, but no blooms yet.

So anxious for spring...sigh.

Susan

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8333628

Are there Hummingbird SUPER PLANT #3, 2, and 1? I just acquired a Hamelia patens, or Mexican Firebush, I was wondering if this is one of the Super plants for hummers. :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America