Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: Hackberry Trees, etc, #6

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 199, Views: 854
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2009
5:31 AM

Post #6944721

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1014920/

Talking about invasives, zonal differences, kitties, and we're hoping Carol does not have a broken wrist, and that LouC gets all the rain she needs.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2009 12:34 AM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #6945463

No rain in the forecast for the forseeable future. Had a nice surprise yesterday evening. Sheila (DG'er) and her husband were on their way home from a two week trip. They live in Ft. Worth which is about 40 miles from here. Anyway, their route put them within 5 miles of here so they stopped by. She has been here a couple of times before and we were both invited to a luncheon earlier this summer at Planolinda's (another DGer) where she gave a little talk about butterflies and gifted me with a small cage. Sheila raises butterflies and has taught me a lot about this fascinating area of our gardens. I have been collecting caterpillars of the Giant Swallow Tail, and the Black Swallow Tail for a week or so. I had ordered a cage from Discovery.com and it came while she was here. Precipitous, don't you think? I gave her all but the first and biggest cat I have been watching and feeding. The rue plant is absolutely covered in eggs and teeny-tiny cats. Looks like I am hooked. Another wonder of nature.

Mike is in a BBQ cookoff tomorrow so we will busy with all the pre-prep today. Hope it is a good day for everyone.

Christi
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6946484

I love butterflies, just love them, and my fennel serves as food for the larva, it's fun to watch. I think I grow fennel just for them.

Glad you had visits, Christi, I know how fun that is meeting DG friends face to face. Good for you.

You'll have to let us know how Mike does in his cookoff. That's done around her, too, the last week in August at a Summer Festival on the riverfront in Paducah, pretty near here. Lots of fun, and if one eats BBQ, lots of good food. I enjoy the roasted corn, and sometimes they have other roasted veggies that are smoky and delicious. And there is one restaurant that always has shrimp kabobs, my favorite.

Charlie, what has this day brought to you?
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #6947043

Hi Sharon and Christi,

It has brought heat. Not as bad as Christi's, but the gardening is warm work.
Can only do a couple of hours a day in this, but happily the heat seems to be good for my arthritis. Think both of you had said that cold and humid is worse, for arthritis, than hot and humid. It's an ill wind that blows no good.

Sounds like both of you are doing good work with butterflies. Saw the first Monarch butterfly ( in our front garden) yesterday. We just see them migrating south in later summer and I think early fall. Think I read two generations make the trip to or from Mexico in one direction and one in the other.

One of our good friends does fabulous shrimps on the barbecue. Tod's an American living in Canada. I always thought "shrimps on the barbie" was an Australian thing. Keep meaning to try it myself. Going to before summer is over.

Thanks for starting the new thread, Sharon.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6947053

Then you need to try it, Charlie, delicious way to have shrimp.

Hot here too, but a good day to declutter inside.
Back later, and you're welcome...
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #6947919

Before I forget to say, having ongoing computer problems again. Daily problems now, with starting. Computer has so far always eventually started, but it usually takes five or so tries each time. Particularly irritating, it now sometimes requires restarting after we have got it started.

As said have had it in several times, but the problem has not been solved.
I don't think even Tim wants the computer, free.

Had quite a few expenses recently, so intending to wait till next month to buy a replacement. Think we will get a Dell: a major reason - Tim has moved out and with the Dell, there's a geek squad available to help you with computer problems.

If I don't appear one day, the computer did it. Think that will push us to buy sooner.

Sharon, love to hear from you (and Christi) - if it's OK with this computer!, but please dont reply now, only when you've finished your writing.

Charlie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6947953

Purchased an iMac just around the 4th of July. After I made the list and compared all the apples and oranges...surprisingly the mac was less than the Dell. Have worked for 3 days to get rid of an awful virus on the old Dell PC as Mike has decided he wanted to learn. Took to it immediately. Like you, Charlie, will be waiting a bit before we replace the one he is using. Have an appt with our financial advisor Tuesday and hope he has some sort of good news for our future. Stock market has done a number on us and changed our plans considerably.

Did not sleep at all last night so going to bed now and try to catch up.

Christi

This message was edited Aug 15, 2009 7:01 PM
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6948029

Thanks for the info Christi.
Think you and Mike are a lot more computer literate than Carol or I.
Will follow this up.
Stock market not so kind to us also!
All the best for Tuesday.
Nite, Christi.
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #6948156

Been a long day, and I have used up all my words.
Computer problems are painful, I know very well.
Like Christi, I love my iMac.

Be well, both of you...

signed,
Wordless in KY
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6948241

Nite wordless!
Rest and they'll be back.
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #6948252

^_^
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6949003

Good Morning...

Sun is shining and looks to be a beautiful day out there. My neighbors trimmed my tree of a few of its drooping limbs and now I can again see my blue garden. It was well hidden for a little while since after the ice storm the maple limbs looked like they were well into weeping. So now, it's even getting a bit of sunshine throughout the day...only problem is, it is not as cool as it was earlier, but it is nice to be able to see it again.

So, here are the only blooms I have to share on this day...well, a few roses, too, but not quite as showy as the morning glories.

Hope your day is good..

Thumbnail by Sharran
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6950471

Hi Sharon,

Interesting about your trees: good or bad? or both? My personal taste is always to light, but then I think of Christi's weather.

Good to see some blooms. Very pretty colors.

Tim came back for a flying visit today: to pick some stuff up, do washing and use the computer (which I had finally got going an hour or so before he came). Think his training and testing with TTC is going very well.

Don't think this is an exaggeration, but tried computer about twenty times over several hours before it would start. Have cleared some stuff off it, though probably it wont make any difference. Will take it in next week and if it's not correctably, speed up purchase of another. I know as you and Christi say MACs are good, for instance I have been able to get useful on-line help in other matters. The problem is starting and being able to get on line. A real problem for us is that there is only one business in Aurora that will deal with MACs (MAC dealer) and you have to wait several days for any major work to be done. Oh well, the matter will be resolved one way or the other.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6950707

Sure hope it works for you, Charlie, no matter what kind you get. Nothing worse than being without a computer.

It's been pretty hot today, so I have stayed inside and worked diligently on my book. I really need to get it off to the publisher. Set myself a deadline for November, but I am such a slacker, and get involved in so many things I get behind in all of them.

Glad you got to see Tim.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6950814

Yay! Yay! Yay! Just got home from the cook-off and Mike won best in ribs. No surprise to me. He and his partner should have won even more but they had to pass it around. Mike did the ribs himself...no partner. Sold out and I didn't even get a bite! Now what do I do? Guess we will have grilled cheese for supper. Bummer.

Actually, that's ok. I am soooo proud for him.

100 degrees and everyone is worn out. Standing over a smoker all day..150 degrees.

Hate to say it but church is probably out tomorrow. Once he lays down...
Had to be at the park today at 4AM to get started. Barbeque is definitely hard work.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6950838

yay for Mike, and yay for you to withstand a day in the heat!
Tell him KY is proud of him.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6951851

If Sharon can speak for Kentucky, I can speak for Ontario.
That means Ontario is proud of Mike.
Yay Mike.

Great to hear you're working on the book, Sharon.
Know how easy it is to get distracted with so many things one can do.
Replies to me can always wait!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #6951952

Got the first package ready to go, whooohooooooo...
This is not the real deal, but the real preliminary deal, so we will see, I guess.
Lots of preliminaries go into books.

Anyway, my fingers are numb, my mind is blank and my eyes are dimming.
Does this mean i am old and out of shape?
Yep!

If it weren't so late, I might just celebrate.
But not tonight.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2009
4:22 AM

Post #6951959

Sounds like good work, Sharon.
Time to rest.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2009
4:28 AM

Post #6951971

Yep...you have a good Sunday, all of you.
Talk tomorrow.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6952864

Is this the book about you and Aunt Bett? Would it be bad luck to give it away before it is published? I'm currently in the middle of Pat Conroy's "South of Beach". Just released on the 9th and I had it on pre-order. I have read all of his books including the cookbook. Earlist ones were mostly biographical. This one I think is pure fiction. Hasn't written anything for 14 years and I was waiting very impatiently.

Sharron, I can hardly wait for your book too.

May go to the movies today. Very unusual for us. We always wait for cable.
Julia and Julie is calling my name.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6952940

I love Pat Conroy, will have to get his new book.

I try not to count my chickens before they hatch, Christi, but yes, that's what I'm working on.
Thanks for encouragement.

Nice day here, but soon to be too hot to breathe out there. Dog Days of Summer, I think.
I hope your day is good, too...wherever you find yourself.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6953549

Movies sound fun, Christi,
We usually need Tim to push us before we go, but we always enjoy a movie (particularly comedies) when we go.

Sharon's book sounds very exciting. Her charming writing is so readable. It documents a time and a place through the eyes of a child and the intent of an educator. Very clever.

Know what you mean, Sharon, re 'to hot to breathe'. Working out there, you get the feeling there's not enough air to breathe. Mind you, find it's great for my arthritis. Air to breathe or joint mobility? It's so nice to have a choice!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6953605

Charlie, that is such a lovely sentence about my writing. I hope I don't ever forget that, never heard it put just that way before.
Thank you.

I love the heat as it radiates from my deck, so yes it is good for old joints...early morning and late afternoon are not so bad, not as humid.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6953719

Decided to wait till tomorrow for the movie. Mike is watching Tiger Woods and resting his body from yesterday. That's ok. Something to look forward to on a Monday instead of washing, cleaning, etc.etc etc.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6953963

Thanks, Sharon.

Heat from the deck reminds me of the Pebbster (little Pebbie) who had traumatic arthritis from an accident with a car before we got her. Three years after she passed, we still talk about her every day. She loved to lallygag (maybe loungue around) on the hot south-facing deck, leaning up against a even hotter ceramic pot. That girl/cat knew how to relax.

Something to look forward to, Christi.
So happy we're retired too. Can go to the movies, not go to work, on Monday. Not that we do nothing. We just tell ourselves what to do. I've got to shut up!

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6954461

Our garden:
Lots of phlox.

Thumbnail by SunnyBorders

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6954467

Main helenium coming into bloom:
Rotgold.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6954474

Monkshood coming into bloom:
Spark's Variety.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6954482

A bit of this and a bit of that.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6954511

A detail of Echinacea Sundown in previous image.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6955270

Oh my goodness, Charlie, and here I am at the end of summer with hardly any blooms left. How very beautiful. Makes me want to sit down with a paintbrush and canvas. Glorious pictures. Thank you.

So you and Carol tell each other what to do, hmmmmmmmm, how exactly does that work?? Do you take turns, or maybe on Monday Carol tells you what to do, and Tuesday it's your day?? Sounds like a plan to me!

It is good not to have to be up and going to work on Mondays, that's for sure. Don't think I could do it anymore.

Well I have written myself into oblivion tonight, and for the life of me can't keep my eyes open. You all have a good evening and we'll talk tomorrow.

Take care Christi, hope you and Mike had a good day of rest.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #6956230

Carol and I have our own spheres of influence (as they say). In our own garden, Carol does the grass (cutting and trimming, and weeding of grass) and annuals in pots. I do the perennial beds. Carol's standards for the grass are rather high. David just doesn't bother about the grass (e.g. his sign: 'Please Walk on the Grass'). Biggest frustration, for Carol, are weeds coming from our closest neighbor's property (his grass is cut but is full of weeds). And I don't like his trees (shade, roots and hackberry seedlings!). Other than that, he's a very nice man. Oh well, you can't have everything!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6956294

chuckle, Charlie!!
Life is good, always a good balance.

I have been watching this young cardinal, trying to get food from the finch thistle feeder.
He is really quite frustrated, and he has been known to tear a hole in the little seed sock, I have lost 4 to him recently. So I am watching him, not sure why he is so enthralled with thistle seed, there's other seeds out there for him.

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6956304

And another, this has been going on for about an hour.
Persistent little guy!

Hope your day is beautiful.

Thumbnail by Sharran

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6956566

There's those hackberry seedlings again...
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6957557

Somebody needs to talk to the young cardinal.
Hackberry seedlings take much more than a good talking to.

Gardening is very warm today. Is quite a high humidity. Have come back for a break. We do have air-conditioning on, but the computer's in the basement level and it's particularly cool down here.

Door.

Just delivering a new bed for Tim's room. Got Tim a new bed for apartment and now replacing the one in his room here. Room still "Tim's room" and is going to be decorated "in masculine colors", but it's also going to double as a second guest room. In another life, Carol would have been an interior decorator.

Carol's brother (John) and family coming from B.C. on Wednesday. John is 'off the wall' and very entertaining. Weather permitting, they're intending to
take 6-year old Emmy to Canada's Wonderland (rides, etc) and then go up to cottage. Great that there's enough adults for outing, without me. Hate rollercoasters and the like, though did not mind using them to teach physics. Still remember the time we took Tim to that place and he wanted to go on a rollercoaster. He and I were sitting in the ride car, just about to roll forward, and he said to me "I want to get off." It was too late, but he, at least, actually did enjoy the ride.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6962679

Hi Sharon and Christi,
Things a bit hectic here.
Yesterday, was so hot and humid here that had to go and come back three times to be able to finish part of large garden. That put things behind.
Shades of Sharon's guests: today we're rushing around trying to do things like shopping and room preparation for guests on Wednesday. Having to water our garden because it's so dry that we think the flowers will be wilted when guests arrive!
Not very charitable, but almost feel like putting a sign on the door: "Not at home. Have a nice day". We need to chill out a bit.
Hope you both having a more relaxing time.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6962703

Stormy weather here...and we so need the rain, but don't like the electrical storms.

Charlie, I hope you all have a great time, and I am sure they will just be happy to be there and enjoy the company of you and Carol.

Sit back, relax and enjoy. Your gardens are wonderful!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6962821

We had very busy and unusual day for us. Early morning appt. at the bank to reorganize what little is left since the stock market crash of 2009. Then went right out and purchased a Dell laptop for Mike. The old Dell tower was over 7 years old and wouldn't even work for a novice. After all these years of begging him to let me teach him...he is in love with the internet, email and google. Finds the barbeque, golf, travel and all the things that he is interested in. He's worth it. No need to put it off as we never knoaw if there will a tomorrow. Aaron has been on both of our minds for days now. Went to see Julia & Julie and highly recommend it. A very feel good movie like the old days. Twice used an ugly word and it didn't add anything. Then we went to Chili's for their new $20/appetizer, 2 entrees, 1 dessert. I brought home half of the appetizer and half of my entree and all of the dessert. Very generous servings. We get out so little these days other than Sunday morning that it felt really strange. It has cooled down a little here and if it remains I will be in the garden tomorrow as it is really suffering.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6962836

Glad you got out, glad about Mike's Dell, and glad it's cooler.
Yayyy for you, Christi.

Stormy here still...yet again.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6963096

Thanks for the calmness, Sharon - we need that!

You seem pretty busy, Christi. Thanks for the film recommendation, Carol and I were thinking Julia and Julie would be a good movie. Your meal out sounds substantial. Used a computer (main frame) a long time ago for stats in the university. Much, much later, learned that home computers are much more fun. Wish I was more computer literate. Glad it has cooled down a bit.

Hope your stormy weather at least brings you needed rain, Sharon. I find watering our small garden to be quite time consuming. Tim is very good at it: he loves any kind of gadget, like sprinklers, and seems to have a knack of placing the right kind of sprinkler, in the right location. Me - I'm concerned that every inch of surface won't be covered and Carol - is concerned that some water will get on the potted geraniums. What a pair!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #6963257

Opposites attract, don'tcha know, Charlie.

Storm has passed, I hope, for the moment anyway.

I have decided I need to make some changes, was feeling pretty lousy over the end of last week and the weekend, lots of self imposed pressures and deadlines. Ran to the doctor on Friday for just a checkup, and he did a couple tests, some blood work. Seems to think now I have an ulcer brewing. Again. Had one a couple of years ago, and another many years ago. So...meds start tomorrow, and I have to really slow down, watch the veggies, and get some rest.

I do this to myself every single time. Been stressing and living on fresh vegetables, need a bit of cheese, maybe some more protein...lotsa yogurt, I think. And fewer raw veggies, no tomatoes...dang it. I love tomatoes.
And need to work on my weight.
No, nothing normal for me. I am to try to gain maybe about 5 pounds in the next 3 months.
I don't even care much about eating. How can I gain 5 pounds?

And sleep. I have to rest.
I have been up since 5 this morning, so I really am going to try to go to bed in the next hour. I stuck to a better regimen when I had a family, so yes, I do this to myself.

Anyway, that's it with the moaning and whining. I am going to do better. There now. I said it right out loud, so you both better make me stick to it.

Sleep well, see you tomorrow, and Charlie, relax! I'd hate to have to send you this blasted aciphex that I guess I'll be on for ever. Enjoy your company!!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2009
4:11 AM

Post #6963397

Sharon,
Talk to you tomorrow.
Sorry to hear about possible ulcer.
Like cheese and yogurt a lot myself. Think cheese omelette is my very favorite food. We do like tomatoes. Very sorry to hear you have to avoid them. We do eat chicken and fish. We make sure the salmon is wild and not farmed.
Kind of reasonable that we all need enough sleep. Used to have to play vocabulary games in my head to get myself to go to sleep, but am able to get to sleep without them now.
Would say, Sharon, you're a very enthusiastic, energetic, interactive and dynamic individual, which makes you a very attractive person. But for goodness sake, look after yourself. We'll still love you, even if you don't keep up a frenetic pace!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6964390

Oh gosh, sharon. I can't imagine in my entire life being told to gain weight. In my darkest hour I gained. Burning the candle at both ends takes the candle down in size real fast. Sounds like it is time you took some time off. What remedy would Aunt Bett have for this malady?

Love you a lot. Please take care of yourself.

Christi

Charlie, I love your garden. Temps have dropped under 100 here and the Angel Trumpets are blooming. Have a plumeria that I have owned for 5 years and it is blooming! YAY!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6964470

Aunt Bett was not quite the spinning top that I am. I see a day in front of me and for the life of me, I don't want to waste a minute of it. I find myself outside in the middle of the night with my camera, taking pictures of a leaf with light, without light, low light, high light, back light...and why in the middle of the night? Well, because all neighbors are asleep, and there are no lights on out there to mess up the photos. All this when I should be resting in bed. And this morning...I was up before the sun, and outside on the deck, camera in hand. But, things have to change, so I am working on it.

No more moans coming from this direction. You both have a lovely day.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6964541

Christi, advice very well put.

Sharon, tame that creative spirit.
Am a very undisciplined person myself and this makes me a big hypocrite: but
we need more self-discipline! Wonderful that you're 'working at it'.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6966449

Guests about to arrive and just finished getting garden ready by cutting 2 1/2 branches off neighbor's hackberry tree. Lots and lots of berries now in composting bags. Gardening can really give you a sense of achievement!
Back tomorrow.
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6966461

Forgot to ask about Carol's wrist.
Enjoy your company and relax, Charlie.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6966592

Not arrived yet.
Seems OK Sharon. Nothing in X-rays. Hasn't bothered her much for two days and she actually went to yoga today. Was very careful with wrist there. I'm thinking it would still be a good idea to get a bone scan to look for a hairline fracture. Know the particular little wrist bone she hit very well from my anthropology. Apparently a hair line fracture in it can leave part cut off from it's blood supply and the part dies.
Know we must not talk politics on Dave's, but been following the health care debate in the U.S. quite closely. Very interesting!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6966817

agonizing subject that we can't talk about.

Best wishes to Carol, and again, relax and enjoy.
Stormy weather here...barrels rolling across the heavens...crazy light show...
See you later.♬
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6974149

Hi Sharon & Christi,
Guests gone and back to catch-up gardening.
Was actually several tornados not that far from here yesterday. In one, unfortunately, an 11-year old was killed by flying debris as he went to take cover. Tornados are unusual here.
A week or so ago, a lightning strike on a metal fence went through the ground and injured two children on a sports field.
Has been very unsettled weather this summer.
Sounds like we're all having strange and extreme weather for our areas.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6974375

Heard about your tornadoes last night, Charlie, worried about you.
So sorry to hear about the little boy and the other two.
Weather is no longer a laughable subject, is it? Scary. It has been a year since the craziness started for me, and it seems unending. Since last September in my tiny area, we have lost 11 trees, and have many more that are very nearly scalped. Not to mention the damage to homes. But fortunately no deaths, except for one electrical worker some miles from me.

I had 4 days without electricity last September, hot hot hot, following the sweep of Hurricane Ike through the mid west. Then in January we had the Ice Storm of the Century, with no power for 10 days, no heat, cold cold cold. Then in May, a sudden wind storm/tornadoes close by, lost more trees and limbs (I only lost limbs)...so yes, it is strange and extreme seemingly everywhere.

Hope you enjoyed your company, nice to have your house back, though, no doubt.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6974682

Did enjoy the company, thanks.
And surprise, surprise, Buddy did too!
In fact, he made a little friend.

Carol's nephew has one child, a daughter, who has an elderly and apparently rather unpredictable cat called Dante.

Buddy and the little girl really hit it off. Photo shows close to the beginning. At first Emmy was rather alarmed by the vigor with which Buddy, still lying in his basket, swung at the toy on the elastic band on a handle. But as his energy level waned, the thoughtful Emmy slowed down herself. I think they paced each other rather well. Eventually, Buddy ended up flaked out on the couch, while his friend played with Tim's lego. Periodical Emmy came over to talk to him or give him a pet.

I think a bond developped. Buddy had that benign and tolerant look on his face, the one he has around Tim, who he really likes. And Emmy's eyes filled with tears when she heard she would be leaving Buddy to go to the cottage.

Living several thousand miles apart, it possible that Buddy and Emmy will never meet again. Whatever the case, I hope Dante is as nice as Buddy!

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6974690

Oh how sweet, I love that picture. Gorgeous cat, beautiful little girl.
Thank you, Charlie.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
4:44 AM

Post #6974929

Jazz says Good Night...

Thumbnail by Sharran

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6976759

Hi All,
And a special Hi to Jazz who looks quite the country sophisticate.

A few current pictures of our back garden; maybe some repeates: includes chaotic mixtures of phlox, purple cone flowers, heleniums and others.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6976765

continues:

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6976789

more:

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6976834

I planted the pillar clematis too close to the front, before I realized how tall it grew. Mrs Robert Brydon.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6976840

close-up:

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6976850

Helenium: Rubinzwerg (a dwarf).

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6976862

Helenium: Chelsey (salvaged from an abandoned garden).

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6976870

Echinacea: Double Decker.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6976895

Echinacea: Vintage Wine.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2009
5:25 AM

Post #6978269

Wow, wow, wow, and wow! I have not seen flowers like that since June. Glorious, Charlie.

We had wonderful weather today, sunny and 70-ish. I kept my windows open all day long. Now that was glorious.

But very little is blooming aside from the usual MG's and other vines, phlox and althaea. Purple and pink, and a few black eyed susans.

Too late to say much tonight, and I am in a reading mood tonight anyway. Deep in the middle of To Kill a Mockingbird. Again. Must have read that book a dozen times.

So good night, have a great tomorrow.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6978971

Hi Sharon,

Carol also loves To kill a Mockingbird and has taught it many times. Last week, read it's being taken off a high school curriculum, in a school district near here, as containing a racist epithet! Not read it myself, but seen the Gregory Peck film. It's amazing how ignorant many of our supposed leaders (in education and other areas) truly are.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #6979078

Ignorance is quite often bliss, Charlie.
Good Morning.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6981154

Currently our best front bed:
Must reduce amount of Goldsturm.
That daylily (Mint Condition) is still going strong.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6981188

left side (towards street), best side of that bed:
Very typical flowers in bloom now:
Echinacea, helenium, Lobelia siphilitica, balloon flower, coreopsis and phlox.

(Lots of deadheading and cutting things back: waste bags)
(overflow heritage iris cut down)

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6981250

Garden #3 is a very good helenium garden:
Find helenium a relatively high maintenance perennial, but love it.
With all the rain, this is a great year for helenium.
(Rote Töne)
The false sunflower is getting close to needing deadheading (for appearances).

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6981301

The only perennials in this garden when I took it over were creeping phlox, yuccas and two japonese anenomes. I would never have used japonese anenomes myself because they are so invasive. I periodically chop them back (not always sucessfully).
Have just staked this one, because the flowers flop.
Quite showy and blooms for quite a long time.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6981359

Annual area of that garden:
Wet summer, small dahlias doing well, ageratum growing spectacularly and geraniums doing poorly (just deadheaded them). Elsewhere, small tuberous begonias doing very well.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6981399

I love the JA's in front of the blue spruce (I think)...serenity there with the color combo.

Amazing Charlie, at the difference in there and here. Your gardens look like mine in early June. So beautiful.

And whether you planned it or not, your color combinations are perfect. It just surprised me the feeling the spruce and anemones evoked.

Gorgeous.
Can you come down here and do mine??
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6981705

Must admit, Sharon, that the color combinations are usually fortuitous.

Maybe what comes up, when, sometimes indoctrinates gardeners. The pastel spring plant colors seem to fit together and the hot plant colors of high summer (yellow, orange and red) also seem to go togther.

Do like as much blue or blue related color as possible, but now that's mainly only balloon flower, frikart's aster and monkshood, with fall monkshood and some New York type asters to come. Also like pink: there's lots of pink all the time.

I know David doesn't match colors, but it sometimes seems that the more different colored plants you have flowering in a bed, the less any particular color doesn't fit in.

Suspect it also takes the eye of an artist to see the the JA - blue spruce combination.

If you lived around here, my friend, I'd love to contribute to your garden.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #6981714

Well, dang, Charlie, I'm not likely to live around there, but your photos inspire me. Maybe I'll copy them and have them in hand when I plant next spring, or even maybe this fall. I don't have a blue spruce, though and that is really striking.

I do have red cedars, and I took a chance on planting crocosmia beside it. Looks stunning, but red and deep green are always eyecatchers.

I just fell in love with the pink and smoky blue.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
4:41 AM

Post #6981789

Sharon, like the sound of your color combinations.

One thing that bothers me about photographing gardens is that you only get to see what the person taking the photograph wants you to see. I've heard David making basically this point in relation to gardening magazines. In the case of gardening magazines, the intent may be to mislead prospective customers into paying the money and then expecting guaranteed effortless success in their garden.

When I take the time to think, I really think that getting all of a perennial garden to look equally good all through the growing season is like chasing an impossible dream. And the smaller the garden, the more impossible the dream.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #6981804

I worked last for an apparel designer. Often involved in "photo shoots" for one publication or another. You wouldn't believe the tricks they play. Learned then to never believe what I thought I saw in a photo. The tighter the lense pulls into the subject, the less you see of surroundings that do not enhance the subject. (If the camera is tilted from a position looking up at the subject, it appears taller)

Night. night.

Christi
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #6981807

We can't make changes in the changes that Mother Nature throws our way, Charlie, and getting a perennial garden to look good all through the season is not something we can do very much about, you know.

Nice to be able to dream, though...even imossible ones. We might as well hitch our wagons to a star anyway. Otherwise why bother to plant.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #6981813

Hey Christi...
Nite!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
5:14 AM

Post #6981855

Very interesting, Christi.
And also appreciate your sentiments too, Sharon.

I'm going to have a few words with Mother Nature.
But whatever the case, I'll still be on course for that star!

Nite lovely people,
Charlie
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7000258

Hi Sharon and Christi.
Back from cottage.
Emmy's made hats and rings (and a toy for Buddy) for a surprise 40th wedding anniversary party for us.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #7000260

Blowing out the '40' candles.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #7000266

Computer games.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #7000267

Computer games.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
3:56 AM

Post #7000269

Card games.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #7000275

Canoeing.
Chris (a favorite sister-in-law) is a breast cancer survivor and has dragon boat raced in Australia, Hong Kong and elesewhere.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #7000278

Learning to water ski.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #7000281

Kids find a dock, broken loose by winter ice.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
4:07 AM

Post #7000287

My kind of place:
the garden centre at Dwight, Lake of Bays.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #7000295

Hi Charlie,
Happy Anniversary! And what a great surprise from your family. The pictures are great, looks like everybody had a great time. I really like your crowns, and after 40 years, no doubt you deserve them! You both have earned every star in them.

The cabin also looks very nice. I am glad you had a good time, and the lake was calm, I can see sunshine, so surely it was an all around good time.

I do like surprises.

I have my little guy tonight, and we have painted rocks, read stories, and made a list of things to do tomorrow. My son brought him about 8, Ethan didn't want to go on to the boat with is dad, he wanted to stay with me. So we sat down and made a list of things we could do, and painting rocks was at the top of the list. I had told him I was writing an article about stones and he wanted to help. So we painted stones. Had a good time too, and we had very little mess to clean up. He is serious when we have a project to work on. Then we read till I nearly fell asleep. I think he finally did too.

Glad you had a good time, and good to see you back. Thanks for the great pictures. I might not be around tomorrow, but will check again tomorrow evening to see if you have left more.. Take care...

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
4:26 AM

Post #7000322

Thanks for the congratulations, Sharon.
Love the comments about the crowns.
Weather was great and everybody got on with everybody.
Great to hear Ethan with you and enjoying himself, as usual.
You sound like a couple of soul mates.
Enjoy tomorrow.
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #7000388

I tell you Charlie, this child is priceless.

We were in the floor playing with something, and he said: "I have two Grammas (he's including his step dad's mother) but you are my only Nana. How old are you, Nana?"

So I told him. And I said that I thought I was the oldest one in all his family.

He said: "Wow! Nana, when I get old as you, then I'll still play with you just the same."

Sheesh. Made me very nearly cry.

Nite now...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #7000959

They can certainly lift your spirits. We have been keeping our little Erin for a time every Friday night. Sometimes she stays the night but she is never ready to leave. We watched "cars" for the umpteenth time yesterday and her facial expressions are priceless...it is always as though she has never seen it before.

Happy Anniversary, Charlie. Glad your family honored both ofyou with a party. We passed our 48th this past June. I used to think people who married 25 years were really old. hahaha

Hope this is a super day for everyone. Starting well for us as it has cooled down some and we are on the deck. Wonderful!

Christi
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #7003482

What a nice grandson, Sharon. A very cute little guy.

Thanks, Christi. 48th! Wow.
Very happy, you've got Erin. Sounds like Sharon, you and Mike are all popular grandparents!
Hope your area's not cooled down as much as ours.
In evenings, it's really feeling like fall here.

Back gardening. Also, went to see David's to get some weeds identified for a friend who just moved to a house with an established garden.

A few pictures from David's and Garden #3.
Little flowering in the alpine garden at Merlin's Hollow, but lots in the perennial garden.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #7003487

Clematis at David's.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #7003506

Love gentians.
Gentian pictures from our garden have not come out well,
so here's one from David's.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #7003533

Garden #3.
Helenium, phlox, Goldsturm, turtlehead, Chrysanthemum serotinum and white Echinacea in flower. New England asters not out yet.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7003563

Close-up of helenium (sneeze weed).
As said am very fond of helenium
and with all the rain, it's a great year for it.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7003571

Still lots of echinacea in flower.
Saw second migrating Monarch butterfly of the season today.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #7003575

Find wood aster a very useful plant.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #7004618

Gosh nearly everything I have is fried. Gone to seed. Shut down for the year.
Except the tropicals and they will last until first frost and then they just fall in a heap on the ground. Charlie, yours looks like spring.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #7006498

Amazing, Christi, how different gardening is in different areas.

Would say, for our area, gardens I do have perennials selected so that there will be perennials in bloom throughout the growing season. That means colour (at least in many places) from more or less late April to late October. Also means a lot of work in staking, deadheading and cutting back.

On the other hand, location is everything. It seems clear from your entries on this thread, that you just don't have the climate for the kind of extended-season, layered perennial gardening David or I can do. Know you were saying this has been a particularly hot year, but I'd certainly think the problem is the general climate.

As said, we've had an unusually wet summer, but the main significance of that to me (at least) is that I haven't had to do so much watering. The time gain has been offset by even more weeding. The weeds have also had a great summer!

Fall is probably the nicest time of the year here. It's not too hot. There's more water (rain) available to the perennials over a longer time. Also, for gardening, it not typically humid and there's few or no mosquitos. Our long fall is typically a long comfortable Indian summer. Though the mainstay of fall gardens here is non-hardy fall mums (often in pots), it also makes sense to extend our summer perennial gardening into fall with plants like New England asters, hardy chrysanthemums and fall monkshood.

It's a lot easier to do this though if you're retired (e.g. me), or if you pay somebody else to do it (e.g. my few customers)!

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #7006529

Beautiful gardens, and it's over for me too, except for phlox and roses. I do depend a lot on nice foliage right now, and I am not as hot consistently as Christi, so I still do have a lot of green as opposed to brown.

Can't linger tonight...got too many things going on here, but did want to stop by for just a short minute.
Take care and have a good new week ahead. The beginning of fall here for sure!

Will talk more tomorrow...I had a fun weekend with my little guy, but left other things undone...so..no rest for the wicked or something like that.
See you.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #7008305

Smells like Fall this morning. Considerably cooler than it has been since early last Spring. The greenhouse is a disaster area as it has been way too hot to do more than just pitch things in the door. Have been dead-heading all along and have collected tons of seed. Think I will empty the greenhouse and get the seeds a little more organized today. The mosquitos are still very active. I have my new laptop on the "veranda" and had to spray with Off just a bit ago.

Sharon, tomorrow would have been Aaron's 26th birthday. It has now been 4 1/2 months. Hard to grasp the reality.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #7008308

Smells like Fall this morning. Considerably cooler than it has been since early last Spring. The greenhouse is a disaster area as it has been way too hot to do more than just pitch things in the door. Have been dead-heading all along and have collected tons of seed. Think I will empty the greenhouse and get the seeds a little more organized today. The mosquitos are still very active. I have my new laptop on the "veranda" and had to spray with Off just a bit ago.

Sharon, tomorrow would have been Aaron's 26th birthday. It has now been 4 1/2 months. Hard to grasp the reality.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #7009283

Hi Sharon and Christi,

No rest for some of the wicked, plus some of the good. The workaholics!
Guess the best combination for us would be good and inert. Pity we find it easier to be good than to be inert!

Interested to hear you have a greenhouse, Christi. We had one in England.
My Mum used it extensively and it was nice to sit in it and think of warmer weather.

Also you have mosquitos. We get them with wet conditions and humidity. The area we live in was formerly woodland with wet areas, prime mosquito terrain. They really like the cedar hedge at the back of our garden. Of course, they're the kind of wildlife we just don't like.

Went to see Tim this Sunday. Tim's apartment, like his former room at home, is very 1960s 'retro', a style that became popular again with some students and others. Tim's also quite an antique collector. The pictures are some of Carol's Mum's early oils. Tim was quite close to his late Grandma.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #7009288

Walked past a huge block of Goldsturm in a church garden.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #7009326

Golden dew drop in a local public greenhouse.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #7009334

Downtown park wildlife.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2009

Post #7009335

Downtown park wildlife.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #7009352

Sorry about the repeat, but there really were a lot of roosting pigeons!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #7010691

Well, my "greenhouse" lacks a lot. Purchased it from Costco on-line last year for a clearance of $549. It is only 8X6 so it barely fits the name.

Since I was married in 1961 it is hard to realize that my wedding gifts are now considered antique. Oh dear me.

Christi
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7010768

Re ' antique', know how you feel, Christi.

If I had all of what was around when I was a kid, think I could make a bundle now. Even what we called antiques then, e.g. Tudor pottery and antiquities, e.g. ancient Egyptian figurines, were much cheaper in the 1960s.

Actually, reason I ended up in Canada was I came here dealing in antiquities, but found though I sold everything I bought, I couldn't do a large enough volume of business for viability; too specialized a market.

Ended up living in a fraternity house, liked the parties, went to U of T (Toronto) to join, applied for immigrant status in the country (could do that then) and got citizenship after five years. How's that for careful planning!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7010769

Re ' antique', know how you feel, Christi.

If I had all of what was around when I was a kid, think I could make a bundle now. Even what we called antiques then, e.g. Tudor pottery and antiquities, e.g. ancient Egyptian figurines, were much cheaper in the 1960s.

Actually, reason I ended up in Canada was I came here dealing in antiquities, but found though I sold everything I bought, I couldn't do a large enough volume of business for viability; too specialized a market.

Ended up living in a fraternity house, liked the parties, went to U of T (Toronto) to join, applied for immigrant status in the country (could do that then) and got citizenship after five years. How's that for careful planning!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #7010798

Hope I can do this now,
but pictures from garden #2, worked on for a short while today.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #7010806

Continued.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #7010829

Not such a wide variety of perennials seem to be both available and useful at this time of year.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #7010855

So beautiful. Looks like Spring. Didn't mean to be secretive with Sharron.
Aprill 14th of this year our 25 year old grandson drowned. Tomorrow would have been his 26th birthday. I haven't done very good these last few months.
Cry a lot.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #7010857

Are annuals also in this part of the garden (I call it the formal garden), e.g. the celosia.

The blue is giant blue lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica). Apparently, the Indians and then early colonists thought it cured syphilis, but it's a nice plant anyway.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #7010989

Christi, please don't apologize.
I didn't want to mention it, unless you did.
I'm very sorry about your tragedy.

A number of years back, Carol had a somewhat similar thing happen.
She had three brothers and the middle one suddenly died in his early 40's
from a growth related obstruction to his windpipe. He had a five year old daughter whom he was very close to. He worked from home (was a labour lawyer). His wife had just had a son. Everybody liked Peter.

Apart from the obvious disaster for his wife and children, his death permanently changed the dynamics of the larger family. He was very sociable, lots of fun and a peacemaker (always worked to avoid silly conflicts).
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #7011013

Smiling at the lobelia, Charlie..yes, it's a nice plant anyway!! Beautiful photos, by the way, I am really enjoying them. Crazy how you all are posting twice so often, wonder if it will happen to me too.

Christi, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. You'll make it through this, I know you will.

Writing to do tonight. Again...I am so swamped this week. Goodness.
See you both later!
More pictures, Charlie, they soothe my soul!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7011020

Deaths change us all.
I know.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #7011031

God works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform. He has brought both of you to me and for that I am grateful.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7011039

Same goes, my friend.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #7011083

I am definitely not the same person I was on April 13th, 2009. April 14th changed me forever. I'm still trying to pull out of the mire but can't seem to catch hold of the branch.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #7011332

I think the branch is a long one, Christi, and it will be there for a long time. When you are ready just reach up for it and we'll reel you in.

Finally finished my story segment, now to get it where it needs to be.

You all have a good night if I don't get back.
I have some interesting things to tell you when I get a free block of time.

Now if that doesn't leave you hanging without a clue, nothing will...
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #7011382

Further to Sharon's comment:
Same goes, my friends.

You're still close, in time, to the tragedy, Christi.
You'll catch hold of the branch.
You can be sure that your grandson would want you to.

Will also, of course, be thinking of you tomorrow.

Your friend,
Charlie.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #7011393

Nite Sharon. Nite Christi.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #7011406

Goodness! I wish there weren't so many miles separating us.
Good nite.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #7018788

Hi Sharon and Christi,

Carol's brother, John and wife, Chris, here overnight on way back from cottage to B.C. Tim came up from Toronto, after work, to see them.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #7018794

Sitting in the garden, today.
Evening flight.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #7018960

He reminds me of my brother, but looks as if he's wearing your crown in that first photo, Charlie.
Glad you are enjoying your family this week.

Your home is lovely, inside and outside.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #7019170

Houses are great. But they tend to be money sink holes.

Carol read recently that a home owner should expect to spend $3,000 to
$5,000 on average, annually, just to attend to routine house maintenance.

The way the houses are being built here certainly doesn't help. This is an area of very rapidly disappearing farm land and very rapid construction of housing developments. We fortunately live in a part of town which was developped about 25 years ago, when house lots are a bit bigger, and where there is woodland which can't be developped.

As to the quality of house construction, one of our neighbours went into a house under construction to ask a bathroom tiler a question. The workman replied "I don't know. I'm just an unemployed fisherman (from Newfoundland)".

Developpers are quite powerful here. David has been very active politically in trying to retain some wild areas around local wetlands (with migrating birds in mind). David, the Mayor and Council were unfortunately recently overruled, at a higher political level, in favour of developpers.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #7019252

Now that I hate to hear. And you don't want me to get on my soapbox about it. Where will we be when we have no vegetation and no wildlife. We won't be, that's for sure.

OK, I don't want to rant and rage, but still...
$$$$ for developers...and what a cost to our environment.
Sheesh.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #7019373

We're on the same page, Sharon.

Also: We've been told that the land, for about 100 miles north of Toronto, is the best farm land in Canada. Now year after year we have fields of houses and box stores, under construction, to replace fields of corn.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #7019468

Hurts my heart.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #7023291

Hi Sharon/Christi,
Working on own garden today. Pulling part of one of the beds apart.
Hate to disturb a bed that still looks OK, but know that next year, without a hachet job, it'll be overgrown.
I now know that cheddar pinks can compete very well against irises and that a ten-year species culver's root requires a spade to chop it up!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #7023328

Hello Charlie,
I have an article on culver's root coming up, so I know very well about their roots. It is an interesting plant, and at one time was thought to provide strong medicine.

I need you here to revamp my beds. My daylilies have exploded into a profusion of madness. A couple of years ago there were about 2 feet between plants. No longer. And there is bindweed weaving everything all together so I can hardly tread safely there anymore.

I do have a gorgeous patch of the old old plant that is much like spiderwort. Can't for the life of me remember its botanical name. The bloom is very light blue and tiny. Anyway, it is quite prolific at the moment.
Aside from that and the roses, no blooms. Sigh. Oh...forgot the balloon flowers, and one butterfly bush.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #7023573

Sharon, would certainly help you, but you'd have to move A LOT closer.

Know bindweed is a difficult one. Have a bit of it, I think, which I've been fighting in the large garden for two seasons.

Spiderworts are Tradescantia. Once planted Tradescanti commelinus in our back garden. Seeds like crazy. Has got behind the air-conditioning unit and I've been pulling it out ever since. It frightened me off spiderworts, but I've found Zwanenberg Blue to be so well behaved that I'm now moving it around. It blooms a long time.

Have said before, but think a mixed perennial bed is good for about five years. It's best in the third ear. Needs to be pulled apart in the fifth. A Victorian approach! Think this is too labour intensive for people with jobs or people with varied interests ( = normal people!). I tend to think I cut "avenues" into large mixed perennial beds and renovate these portions each year. As you know, avoiding invasives is crucial and intensive ongoing cultivation can handle almost all problems. Nevertheless, it's still a bit like the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #7023615

Great analogy, Charlie.
You nailed it that time.

Going to look for a picture of Tradescantia...
Back in a minute.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #7023641

I must be wrong.
I thought this was the wildflower, but if it is, it isn't listed in PF.

I'll get out and take a picture of it tomorrow.
But like spiderwort, it loves to grow around the airconditioning drip.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #7023832

Am unlikely to know what it is, Sharon, but will certainly be interested to see the picture.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2009
4:41 AM

Post #7031088

Hi Sharon and Christi.

Still lots of colour in the garden, but not enough variety of plants.
Am now getting Boltonia in bloom:
Bottom centre is a hybrid: Jim Crockett.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #7031114

New England Aster in centre is not in bloom yet, but the tall light pink (looks white) Boltonia to the right is claspingleaf doll's daisy. Got two of these about six years ago and soon lost one. Very pleased the other settled in. It's a Mississippi floodplane wildflower, which only occurs in Illinois (where it is threatened) and Missouri (where it is endangered).

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #7031120

Picture does not do credit to the colour of this new hybrid gentian (True Blue).

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2009
4:55 AM

Post #7031126

Oh. That Mississippi floodplane wildflower is breathtaking...so's the entire photo. How beautiful, Charlie. You captured so much beauty in that shot.
Made me smile out loud again.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #7031136

My little friend.
Any tones you note in the carpet are his work.
As implied Buddy subscribes to the Roman orgy concept;
eat - bring it up - and then eat some more.
We won't be buying new carpets until Buddy passes on.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2009
5:07 AM

Post #7031144

Seems odd that this wetland type wildflower that is threatened by habitat destruction grows well in our garden. Can only think it to do with our watering.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2009
5:46 AM

Post #7031194

'Little Friend'...

Somehow Charlie, I think you are not seeing Buddy as I am seeing him.
Ummmmmm, little is not the word i would use exactly...

Exhausted again .
Going to have to call it a night.
Tomorrow maybe I will wax eloquent about something...but not tonight.
Talk with you tomorrow...my friend.
You take care.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #7032175

I am asleep by 9 PM almost every night. Never around when you two are chatting. We have a little Schi-Tzu that has the same habits as buddy...Roman style. Several years ago we put ceramic in almost the entire house because of the dogs. Have an area rug in the tv room. Guess where Mattie chooses to be "sick".

Yesterday we cut down some 15 Castor Bean plants that had reached 10-12 feet. Trying to get to them before they explode the seed pods. Have a beautiful Lady Banksia Rose that has almost demolished the arbor/trellis it is on so we have started cutting it way back also. Odd how we work so hard to encourage something to grow and then it gets huge and has to be pruned or taken out.

Hope it is a good holiday for all.

Christi
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #7032318

Good to see you, Christi,
Been a while and I missed you.

We have clouds and cool here today, I already went to the grocery about 5 miles away and across the lake, near the marina where we boated. They had a craft show going on in that little town, so that was fun for a few minutes, then I shopped. Now I am home again and it isn't even noon. I could be out weeding, but I got this wild urge to do something different to my living room. I never use that room, and often forget it's there. If I could only move the piano, sigh...

Anyway, I can move every thing else, though, and think I will.
Holiday weekends are a tough time to be alone, so I think up projects that will wear me out enough so that I don't think. Hence, the living room.

If y'all don't hear from me for awhile, it's because I decided to tackle the piano.
Maybe I won't, because it would win for sure.

Later...hope your day is beautiful.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #7032391

Careful with the piano. I have been moving them for almost all of my life. Back surgery last year to show for it. I'm lots more careful about what I tackle these days. I have always loved to move furniture and rearrange all the do-dads. Am a fan of Mary Englebrite and have all of her books. One is of her home with one room done 5 different ways. Not just for the photo shoot, taken over a period of time. She moves some little thing on every trip through the house. I'm not quite that bad anymore. If something is moved, it disturbs the dust and causes a lot more work.

Outside I go. 92 and humid
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #7032586

Hi Sharon and Christi,

Buddy goes in a two week cycle: first week fine, second week is sick every day. Did it after dinner last night and twice after breakfast, this morning. You can't image how many times we've threatened to send him to the knacker's yard, but it does not work. The truly annoying thing is that he pesters you for more food very soon after he's been sick. Thanks for the advice Christi (ceramics and area rug). We're now thinking along those lines, but Buddy doesn't seem interested in paying for it!

He used to be 28 lbs, Sharon, now not the man he was. He's dropped many lbs on the diabetic diet that really seems to be good for his (if not our mental) health.

Carol has several strong interests in common with you both: loves home decorating, staging, etc. and loves craft shows. I wish garden centres were more than five miles away so I wouldn't buy so many plants. Mind you I don't mind driving two and a half hours to get to the cottage, because Dwight has a wonderful garden centre.

Interesting point Christi makes about planting the stuff, encouraging it to grow, then cutting it back, removing it and the like. Think that makes us gardeners! The stork dropped us one too many times on our heads in a garden. Sound like Mike's a gardener too.

Sharon, don't do too much. Sounds like Christi's better at pacing herself than either you or me. My pacing mechanism is probably to only keep one ball in the air at a time.

As Sharon said, would be fun to live closer. Obviously weekends would be the time to meet for coffee and the like.

Holiday greetings.
When is a holiday not a holiday? When you're retired. But it's certainly the best life style.

Charlie.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #7032713

Pacing...pacing to me only means moving a little faster than a fast walk.

We are only given so many hours in a day, gotta fill them up, don't you think?

Dreary and rainy, so I am playing in the living room, eyeing the piano, but so far it's safe from my efforts.
Back later.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #7034811

Feel exactly like you, Sharon, about using time. For me, the intent tends to be mindless, but beginning to think I should think about important physical mundanities more.

Example: the soil level in my flowerbeds tends to rise, over time, from the use of weedless compost. This means there is a rise to get into the bed. By summer the bed is crowded and many of the plants staked. Consequently, I've tripped several times in backing out of a bed. The beds don't have rocks in them, but they have lots of upright bamboo stakes.

Slowing down and taking time to think: I now always turn round in a bed, even if there's a tiny bit of trampling and come out seeing where I'm going.

I'm now finding the look-where-I'm-going approach also works very well on that little entrance slope when the clay-based soil becomes compacted and wet.

What I'm saying is fill your time, my friend, but do it carefully.

In my case, it would also help if I had a bit more self-discipline. I've still got to work on that one!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #7034969

I did not move the piano.
But I tried, I really did.
It simply would not budge. So I did very little to my living room.
Sigh.

I did fill up my bird feeders, and I did think seriously about weeding, but by the time I got all organized, it started the rain thing again, so there was no progress there either.

So I did an afternoon of nothing, which is very difficult for me to do. All in all, after grocery-ing this morning, then playing in the living room this afternoon, I guess it was not such a wasted day. Oh, then I played with Cupcake in her garage domain. That was fun.

And that's it for my day.
Hope yours was much better.

Oh, I have weedy vines in my daylilies, trip me every time!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2009
5:38 AM

Post #7035023

Sounds like a useful day, Sharon,
did something that had to be done and then relaxed.
Way to go!

And Cupcake's a cutie.

Got to be easier on ourselves.

Nite my friend,
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2009
6:02 AM

Post #7035051

Nite, Charlie.
Have a great day tomorrow.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #7036019

We have been working on the Lady Banksia for 3 days now and still not finished. I won't let it get this wild again. Although, the blooms last Spring were to die for.
shoot, can't find the picture
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #7036185

Find the picture, LouC...I wanna see.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #7036741

Me too, Christi.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #7038502

Having a really difficult time finding all of my photos since I changed from windows to mac, They are here someplace but danged if I can find them.

Christi
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #7038709

Don't worry about it, Christi, when and if you find them is great.

Are going to need to get a new computer ourselves soon, as said. Maybe as said, we'd feel a lot more confident about it if our computer literate son, Tim, still lived here.

Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7039101

Confidence comes with time.
My son gave me this mac for my birthday in November. After years of Windows I was ready to throw it as far away as it would fly the first day or two. But I was writing articles and my old computer was dead as a doornail, and for me it was sink or swim, so I learned everything I could learn by spending about 24 non stop hours, just me and my Mac. I learned, because I had to. Now I have problems using anything else.

This is not a laptop, though, and I do have trouble using son's laptop, also a Mac.
Goodness, I could not manage without this Mac of mine. Not a minute's problem with it, nor with my iPhone, and I have had it for two years.

As I said, sink or swim for me.

I am upholstering a chair tonight, so my DG time is limited...I might be back, but then I might find myself tangled in all this fabric, in any case...I'll see you later.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #7040248

I paid an extra $99. for lessons called One to One at the retail store and I have only been once. Think it is time to make another appointment. Trouble is, the pictures are in two different programs and I can't find a way to import them all into iPhoto. And when I would like to upload from HP Photosmart (old program from windows) there is no way to do it. Installed the new upgrade to Snow Leopard this weekend. This was already such a wonderful change from windows that I don't really realize the difference. I love the macbook just have a lot of tricks to learn.

Sharon, you are so talented. Is there anything you can't do? (besides move a piano)
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #7040304

You too are both so far ahead of me in computers!

Think I'm still at the stage of magic (and sometimes irritating) boxes.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #7040328

You do wonderful, Charlie. I'm irritated because I can't get the pictures to work. To top it off, quite by accident I uploaded 155 photos to Facebook and I don't even know how I did it. Certainly wouldn't have done it on purpose. You might enjoy that website. Sharon and I both are on it. It is mostly populated by we older folks.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7040340

Not exactly a spring chicken myself, Christi.
In fact, at times I feel downright ancient!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #7040355

I know I am further down the road than you are as I have been married over 48 years. Well aware of the fight with the body trying to make it do what the mind wants. Need to go read Sharon's article.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #7040878

Like the metaphor "further down the road" because a road leads somewhere.
When I was working, it was more like "up the creek". Sounds rather deadend.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #7040945

Charlie, I have a new interest for you. Picked it up quite by accident a couple of months ago. I have many host plants for butterflies as I know you do from looking at the pictures.
Sheila_FW has been here several times and showed me the baby cats of swallowtail on my citrus plants and the Rue. She gave me a small little cage she had made and just a quick lesson. A whole new world that has always been right beneath my nose and I didn't know it. Must clean the frass everyday and add new food. Everytime I find 5-10 more cats (caterpillars). Have already had a giant swallowtail and a black swallotail come out. Will have to study the sticky more to learn the terms. Just now went to get more rue and came back with at least 15 more. My eye has become accustomed to where to look and what to look for. (I know. Don't end a sentence with a preposition) Monarch's will lay eggs only milkweed. Frostweed (Josephine) brought me a start last fall and now it is a shrub 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Beautiful in itself and the swallowtail feed the nectar as do the hummers. Will work on some pictures.

Christi

Didn't intend to leave you out, Sharon. Just don't know how in the world you would work anything else into your day.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #7041744

Was thinking of creating my own calendar and making the days longer...
Ya think that'd work?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #7042055

Oh dear. I hope not. Can't get my list done now.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #7042238

I've had a couple deaths in my family this week, so I'll be going out of town tomorrow through Friday to attend funerals on the way to L'ville and back.

Distant kin so not too bad.
You all take care and have a great week, I'll be back to normal soon.

Hugs, my friends. Keep the thread going, I'll need to have something to look forward to when I return.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7042987

Sounds very interesting, Christi.

I really don't know much about butterfies and caterpillars, but should know more. Know David (Merlin's Hollow) has always said that you can't have butterflies without caterpillars and I've never used insecticides (or herbicides) in my gardening. Realize that in a chemical free environment overall balanced insect populations keep each other in check.

Know what your saying about learning where to look and what to look for.
Have always found myself in learning hands-on things that the personal instruction of somebody else, who knows, makes all the difference.

Know a bit about Monarch's, but almost nothing about swallowtails. I'll do some reading so I understand what you are talking about. It's always fun to learn and appreciate new things. Good for you Christi. Learning keeps our minds young.

Sorry to hear about the family deaths, Sharon.
We'll keep the home fires burning.

Had a fall over some rocks and a step a few days ago. Particularly wacked my shin. Lucky the tibia's such a robust bone, but don't need more than arthritis. Came back from three hours of gardening and was arranging the sprinkler as it was getting dark. Must have been tired, as Carol was when she did much the same thing. Got to remember my age and that arthritis really does affect your sense of balance.

Back tomorrow, Christi.
We'll hope our friend Sharon gets a bit of a break from all her labours.

Charlie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #7043912

Goodness Charlie. Rest yourself for a couple of days. I am very careful these days about climbing or reaching. MIL will be 92 next birthday and she broke her ankle 4 places back in March. Spent 3 weeks in the hospital and then used up her 100 days in the rehab center. She is confined to walkers and her electric cart. In our visits to the facility to see her it was painfully evident that 98% of the patients had broken bones. Take care of yourself, please.

Will be thinking of you, Sharon.

Christi
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #7044303

Before I leave, here are some of today's blooms...
Sedum...

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #7044305

Cardinal vine

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7044310

And this one just popped up, not sure what it is, maybe you know...
Pretty...

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7044315

And the tiny blues I promised...what is it?

Thumbnail by Sharran

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #7044570

The blue is like a weed here. Commonly called wandering jew, comes up anywhere a piece hits the soil. I planted cardinal vine seed this spring. Finally bloomed this week. I want it to cover a fence.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #7045020

Thanks for the cautionary tale, Christi,
I think I lack self-disciplie in knowing when to stop.
I just carry on happily and mindlessly.

I remember a cute and funny orangutan picture. The ape had his arms behind his head and the caption said "It took a lot of education to make me this stupid". Have to take note of not just what interests you (like friends like you and Sharon), but also what you need to note (how to not injure yourself, especially permanently).

Great pictures, Sharon. Very interested to see what's blooming. I do know that blue flower; looks like Christi does too. It's the one I mentioned, Tradescanti commelinus. Remember David talking about it once at a lecture. It was named by Linnaeus, for the three Commelin brothers. It has three petals, two blue and a tiny white one at the bottom. Two of the Commelin brothers became well-known botanists and the third was a wastrel who never made anything of himself. Linnaeus clearly had a sense of humour!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #7048415

Hi Christi, and Sharon when you return.
Same plants in bloom, though also now getting asters.
Though current pictures, hope they don't repeat previous ones.
Gdn #2 (big one).

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #7048419

More.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #7048430

Same place.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #7048445

Siberian mint.
It blooms lower and lower (gets shorter and shorter) as you cut it back.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #7048477

Down by my compost heap:
Even the wild flowers on the property are attractive.
Believe goldenrod cultivars are still more popular in Europe than North America.
The wild one is too much of a runner to use in a perennial bed.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009

Post #7048485

Gdn #3.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #7048501

The magenta aster is Alma Pötschke
and there's a no-name mauve New England aster behind.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #7048505

The mauve one.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #7048524

Frikart's aster Mönch.
Lasts six weeks: late summer into fall.
Nice lavender blue colour.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7049200

Everything is gorgeous, Charlie. The 2 months of extreme heat and sunrays made my asters look so bad I cut them down. Just now time to bloom. Had my car washed this afternoon for the first time in several months. Three miles from the house it started raining. Should have washed the car before.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #7049481

Hi Christi.

Problem now is that it's got dry here. Lovely sunny weather and not too hot,
great gardening weather. But just came back from watering some of Gdn #3. If I don't water it, it'll reduce the bloom time of at least the heleniums and the heleniums help to make that garden at this time of the year. There are sprinklers but they don't reach them.

With gardening, if it's not one problem, it's another, as all of we gardeners know.

Sorry about the timing of the car cleaning! You're also reminding me to get my van washed.

Have a van. Love vans. Need one for business, but use a van all the time. Besides safety going to the cottage and front visibility, it's great for arthritis. Neighbour told me his parents had arthritis, bought a van and then said they'd never drive anything else. Unlike Carol's small car, with a low passenger compartment, a van means you step up to get in and easily come down to get out. Guess if you don't need to do a lot of driving and you don't have a fair bit of arthritis, the ease with which you get into and out of a vehicle doesn't matter.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #7051121

We have had more than one van over the years. Currently (and probably forever) we have a Honda CRV that we purchased new in 2002. Just now turned 55,000 miles. Mike has a 2002 Chev pickup that we use for the heavy loads but it hardly leaves the driveway anymore. I love the CRV. As small as it is on the outside, it is amazing the room on the inside. That sentence doesn't even make sense but it is true.

9/11. This day will go down in infamy as has December 7, 1941. As I continue to grieve for our grandson, I have a true empathy for these people as their lives were changed so drastically in the blink of an eye. Shall be a day of prayer for many.

Christi
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #7051485

Beautiful pictures, Charlie, I particularly love the Siberian mint. Wonder if it would grow here?

I drove too early and to long this morning to be able to make much sense, so will wait till I am more coherent to write more.

Yes, Christi, it is a day of memories and tears. I am glad I am home.

Later, my friends.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #7051541

Interesting about the cars, Christi.

9/11 - very sad.
- many similarities with Pearl Harbor.
- watched, on TV, the memorial ceremony in New York City.
- as said, you would really know the effect on loved ones,
of good people dying before their time.

Charlie
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #7051597

Nor forgetting, Sharon, that you had a huge life altering loss, of a spouse, yourself. Am sure that before retirement, it was an outcome you'd not have thought of.

It's admirable that you handle it, even though you're permanently changed.
Christi's doing a valiant job in handling loss too, thinking about her beloved grandson, but also reaching out to friends, old and new. Guess you just have to soldier on.

Charlie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7051619

Sharron has been a great help to me. We have had several communications other than DG.

It is a privilege to know both of you. Sharron has a way of sparking the best in people. Lately, I haven't been the person I want to be. The pain of loosing a grandchild has been so traumatic, I don't how I could stand loosing my spouse of 48+ years. Sharron gives of herself in so many ways...that is the secret.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #7051698

Let's go here so we have room to talk...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037317/

and we'll continue our conversation there...
Pack up your bags and hurry on over.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America