Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hibiscus: Hibiscus coccinea Chatooga Gold?

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 6, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
onalee
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6945538

Hi all you hibiscus enthusiasts! Can anyone tell me if they have ever grown a YELLOW/GOLD texas star hibiscus? I see this advertised (Seeds) in a couple of places, BUT none of them have any photos of this elusive yellow Texas star HIBISCUS.

There is a plant called a yellow texas star, but it's NOT a hibsicus:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55468/

Does anyone have any direct knowledge of a yellow Hibiscus coccinea?

Thanks for any advice or input!

Onalee
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6966079

I have never heard of a yellow Texas star hibiscus. I would be very leary, even if they did give a pic...Photoshop can do all sorts of things!
Barb
onalee
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #6980989

Yeah, I think I've come to that conculsion, too.

thanks,

Onalee

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #8029845

I know this is an old post, but just in case anyone is still curious, this is Chatooga Gold. I bought the seeds last year but did not grow them out until this year. The blooms are more carmine red than scarlet as in the species. There is a good deal of variation in color on the same plant, with some blooms being almost purely pink as in the one pictured. Stems are carmine with carmine veining in the leaves.

Thumbnail by poisondartfrog
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #8030062

Very nice! I can just imagine several of the red and these grown together. hhmmm...
onalee
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2010
11:40 PM

Post #8030596

Thanks for the post! I had someone looking for a Yellow Texas Star ... he was wanting yellow blooms... so I guess that just because something may be called 'gold' doesn't mean the blooms are yellow ... or gold ...

Onalee

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #8031232

Onalee, when I bought the seeds I was thinking gold as well, but my mind's eye had conjured a vision of golden foliage so I had the wrong idea too.
Live and learn.
Alana

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America