Photo by Melody

Plumerias: Intersting Seed Sprouting Method: EGGS!

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 2, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6946632

Haven't posted much due to time constraints-- but I do still read the posts-----thought however that someone here might benefit from this:

One of my local, regular customers named Sharon H. told me her trick to germinating seeds this morning. She buys lots of seeds and germinates them to give to friends and various childrenís organizations as gifts.

Whenever you cook eggs---when you go to break them out, tap off only one end of the shell to leave a quarter (25 cent piece) sized opening and empty out the egg and yolk. Using a very sharp ice pick, make a hole in the bottom of the shell (for drainage). Fill the shell with cactus potting mix and plant a seed right into the soil at the top of the egg opening. Place damp sphagnum moss into the Styrofoam egg crate and press it inónot too tightly so you can still place the eggs with their seeds back in on top of the moss. Water each egg and only water again when it looks dry. You can save your empty shells for a few days before planting them if you want to do several seeds at once.

She said the seeds germinate like crazy and grow rapidly. I would guess the moisture given off from the moss below helps keep the top from needing any misting. (You should also make sure the moss is kept moist). Oh--I almost forgot, when the seed is big enough for a pot--GENTLY crush the shell with your hand--or chip it away in a few places and plant the egg shell with its plant in a pot--the egg shell is recycled into the soil as the roots grow through it.

Just thought I would pass this on as I have never heard of this before, and, you canít argue with success. Here's a website I found after the fact that verifies you can start other seeds as such: http://www.ehow.com/how_4478710_grow-plant-eggshell.html

Brad
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 14, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6946841

Sounds neat kids would really get a kick out of this. And you could save a few bucks on peat pods.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 15, 2009
5:04 AM

Post #6948353

Thta does sound cool. I might try this.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America