Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plumerias: Rooting long stems

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 6, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6949723

I have several over 6 ft now,that have long stems,and the plant is in the 6 to 8ft range.
I can hardly get a picture,I have to hold the camera over my head and just shoot!!!!
So If I can't see the flowers I can't smell them either.
Most of the plants have 3 growing points,on single stems of over 4ft or more,so if I make the cut halfway up the 4ft stem,how difficult getting 2 ft or more stem with 3 or more growing points to root?
Some of been in flower since Xmas ,they just keep putting out the flowers.
I don't want to cut if flowering ,but then again if I don't I won't have the summer warmth for the cuttings to root!
What say you,on what to do?

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 16, 2009
7:36 AM

Post #6952121

Cut away, my friend. The two-foot three-branched cuttings will root fairly quickly. Remove all the leaves but not the inflo's in my opinion. The yellow/whites seem to root really fast for me this time of year. The other two-foot cuttings may seem like they are taking longer to root because they will have to push out branches once rooted. If you decide to wait, you could root them on a heating pad in the greenhouse this winter. I don't think you will experience rot with that one.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6952416

Thanks Clare
I have the heating pad,so I will wait,don't want to lose the flowers!!!
Do you find when you prune like that,the plant takes longer to start blooming again,after all it will send out new branches first,then they will have to grow somewhat before they flower?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 16, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6953512

Hi Don, yeah, most people prune la third or half of the branches at a time so they don't lose flowers. The center cuts that will have to send out branches after they root will probably skip blooming the following season and just put on growth. The cuttings that root this winter could easily bloom for you the following season, especially if it is a reliable bloomer anyway. The yellow/white that I have pictured is a reliable bloomer for me and blooms every year no matter what.

I have a plumeria friend that told me that his mom has 30-year-old tree that she hacks mercilessly back to the ground every year. This keeps the branches and flowers low to the ground where she can smell them, and she gives the cuttings away. I love it.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #6955193

Thanks Clare
I have grown these for quite a few years to get this big,I couldn't wait until they got that big,and now thinking of cutting them halfway back,don't know if I have the courage!!!LOL
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 17, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6956923

It's a tough thing to do -- no doubt. I may waiver when and if I ever have to do it. They are truly resilient trees though. Many people in the hurricane-hit areas were left with only stumps after a tough season, and the trees came back fine. Here's a good link about pruning: http://www.theplumeriasociety.org/spps/ahpg.cfm?spgid=26
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2009
6:39 PM

Post #6957380

Good info,says best to wait until spring,so I might wait,can't hardly make myself when it it is flowering,but it has since Xmas!!!LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America