Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: Advice on sowing seeds...I'm a newbie!

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 5, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #6954506

At the Dollar Tree I bought some large, not deep aluminum roasting pans with high, clear plastic lids. If I punch holes in the top and bottom, I assume they'll work okay? Milk containers are good, as are any type of container with a clear lid? Thanks!

This message was edited Aug 18, 2009 7:08 AM

Thumbnail by hanseycollie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sandstreet
Kinderhook, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6961803

That would work OK, but you might want it deeper for the roots. Sometimes you don't end up planting ASAP and they sit and sit ... :) Just today I threw out the very last milk jug that I never planted. Oh well, overall, it was a huge success for me.

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6961885

I tried the lasagna pans once and didn't like them much. They worked OK, but I don't think you can beat gallon milk jugs. I also use some 1/2 gallon ones and 2 liter pop bottles for things where I don't wan't too many plants.

Welcome, hanseycollie. Pretty dog! I love collies.

Karen
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6961991

Good to know! I'll just start having my friends save their milk jugs and won't invest in the others. Thanks for the compliment on Han - he's a great collie! He's a nursing home therapy dog in his spare time, ha!

Thumbnail by hanseycollie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6969225

I had really good luck with milk jugs. I put potting soil in the bottom about 3 inches deep. I topped that off with about an inch of Jiffy Seed Starting mix. I have found this works better for Rudbeckias and Echinaceas because it drains better.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6969449

Wonderful - I will use the ones I bought for some other seeds, but definitely use milk jugs for the Echinacedas and Rudbeckias. I can't wait for this winter ... heck, I can't wait for tomorrow to be outside and work in the yard. I bought two new pink coneplants today - no clue what kind but they're pretty. Will add them to the new garden in the front yard. Thanks Clint!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America