Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: August - What's happening in your garden? Part 3

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 113, Views: 747
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2009
11:16 AM

Post #6955700

All are welcome to join in the fun! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1025818/

E_B Your garden is beautiful! I remember seeing the erratics in Raccoon State Park. I didnt know what they were called or how they were formed. Great pictures!
Kelli Beautiful flower pics!
Ric LOL! Who is that doggie in the picture?

79.0 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 75 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 83 F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Partly cloudy with slight chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. Highs around 90. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Cosmos

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6956570

Hurricane Bill
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028021/

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6956873

I had a big post yesterday but I must not have hit SEND. (sigh)

MIL home is almost cleaned out. More boxes to go through but nothing of any significance. The house will go on the market next month. Finally.

69.8 F with 81 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 25%
Dew Point: 32 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 30.08 in (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 14000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

The owner of the house across the street has kindly let me take some sempervivum out of his front yard. He has had to clean and repair most everything in the house because the idiots who were living there destroyed it. These were the noisy ones. He has given us his phone # and asked if we would call him if we see anything bad. He rented the house to 3 people and ended up with 9. And a dog.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6956880

Several babies were thrown into the gift.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #6958281

I'm gone for two days and way behind again!
EB: love the black-eyed susans! I have a few this year but not nearly as many as you do!
Kelli: I'm with you on housecleaning--it would be so much easier if you didn't have to go around and pick up the clutter first--LOL
Ric: cute pup--what a face! The Illustris is looking great--it likes you! :o)) The Big Dipper likes it down here, too. Has about 15 or 16 leaves on it and it seems to be getting taller on a daily basis!
Rann: and I was complaining the other day because we are starting to get dark by 7:30 p.m. :o((

edited to add: well, I certainly don't know how it happened but half of my post disappeared when I hit send so I'll add it here:

Sharon: it's good to see you posting again--we were getting worried about you. pretty cosmos you have there
Celia: don't you just hate it when you've spent several minutes typing up a long post and you forget to send it!--LOL Stranger things have happened, though, as I mentioned above.\

I was going to add a photo of my DGS and Friday "surfing the net" together this morning but I forgot I downloaded the photo to my old desktop because DGS and Friday were using my new laptop! LOL

Here are two sunflowers for you to look at instead(along with "Farmer Bud")

This message was edited Aug 17, 2009 5:45 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6958370

Helluuu! We just had a monster T-Storm. Jack is following me very where! Poor guy really is afraid of thunder.
T-storms: 68F
Feels like: 68F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 68
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 4 miles
Precip in last hr: 0.01 in
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:42 AM
Sunset: 8:13 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Darius, I don't want it! :) Are you going to get to go to the fair? And have you found the persons for whom you were looking? LOL! How's that for proper English? :D
Thanks Ric, I am lovin' this job more & more every day. If I had only known that such a place existed before now! ;) I'm going to try & get some pics of a few of the large (150 gal.) salt water tanks. I don't know what the rules are for bringing a camera into the plant. In the show ponds outside some of the Koi are as long as my forearm!
Thanks E_B, Great Shots! Some of those rocks look like the ones I sit on when I hunt. It's called a 'birds eye view'! :D I could live in one of those cabins! And your kettle has my name written all over it! 'need apple butter!' :D It's about that time of year, too! ;)
Kelli, Love the Texas Ranger & 'Tunies' are one of my favorite annuals! ;D Are they annuals at your house?
Sharon! There you are! ;) Love the Cosmos..what a beautiful orange! :D And Sylvester! LOL! :D
Celia! I have got to get me one of those cameras! Or maybe it's just the picture taker... How do you get such good pics of your hummers!?
Mau, My Amaryllis still isn't blooming...it's growing taller, tho! LOL! About the 'alginated' water! :D And why weren't you in that 'bloomin' picture? LOL! Good Shot! :D
Bernie! Nice set-up! And what gorgeous produce & flowers!! :D Glad your efferts 'paid off'. ;)

Well, gotta mosey...
TTYL

saucer sized...
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6958507

Wow, Joey: saucer-sized is right! Your Amaryllis will probably bloom this next spring. I wasn't in that picture above because I was "manning" the camera! LOL "Pau" did take one of me with the kids, though. I can't believe that was two years ago! Time flies, etc. (even when you aren't having fun--it's already been nine months since Pau "went home"--it's hard to believe he's been gone that long.)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 18, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6958549

Celia, I feel your joy. Our awful neighbors moved out like five years ago and I am still thankful. (The Loud Woman is minor league stuff compared to those guys.)

Marilyn, LOL at the sunflower picture

Joey, I think petunias are short-lived perennials here. I'm not sure. I can't remember if I ever had any before.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on August 17, 2009
83 F
Clear
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 54 F
Wind: 8 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 29.82 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 F
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

little video of oak woodlands - the red is poison oak - the bird squawking is a scrub jay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STMf5jaLRaE

poison oak and purple sage

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6959048

Cool Oak Video!
Nice that the PO is in Fall coloration. I hate that stuff!
The Jay sounds like our local one but higher pitched.
Is that fire damage on the Oaks or just shadows?
Beautiful trees. Like a small Southern Live Oak.

Joey I was wondering if that T-Storm got you.
We could see it building all day but we maybe got 40 drops and a few rumbles.

Gonna be a hot one tonight.
Low 70's...
High 80's today and a blistering sun when it was out.
Nice to be wading in the pond most of the day...LOL!

We got SOME work done on the Pond.
First thing we had to go over to Lowe's for supplies.
Our formerly WAY too big pump is perfect for the new Pond.
I just had to get bigger tubing and some fittings.
We're running a smaller trickle fall at the far end so a 't' and valve, etc were needed.
Then move a bunch of dirt and wash down the rocks.

Then our son popped in to do laundry and of course that slowed us down.
We're used to working w/ no distractions...lol!

But the Falls are started and running.
This is by no means the final look.
Believe me from past experience I know this design will change.
And of course the water level will be higher, as will the rocks behind and beside the 'Falls'

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 18, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6959197

The black looks to be mainly shadows and some natural darkness of the bark, but there could be a touch of fire damage, too. The trees are old enough to have seen several fires in their life. I don't recall this area burning during the time I've lived out here, which has been 22 years.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #6959245

Kelli, I take it you aren't allergic to poison oak? I wouldn't dare get that close to it--I'm highly allergic to it. I've also heard that even the wind can blow the oils from the leaves from one place to another and you can be exposed that way--don't know if that is an old wives tale or not but I don't take any chances. LOL
Ric: the pond is looking good and the waterfall too. I can hear it now--how soothing that must be to hear it "close up and personal". . . .and kids do have a way of turning up when they need to do laundry, huh?
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #6959357

It's been nice catching up, again:) The projects/sales and posts have been great to read.
After a few days of rain, it's now sunny and nice.
We took a short drive to the Knik river where it flows into Knik Arm. It's a glacier fed river and the glacial silt makes it gray.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #6959406

Thanks Mau!
Yep the 'Illustris' like the place.

Kiska... BRRRRRRRRR!
Man that water has to be cold!

T-Storms are popping up all over around us.
NE Ohio is getting a pounding but that's 200 miles from us.
The one currently about 40 miles south of us looks like it will miss us.

Mau you CAN get it from the smoke.
I spent a day in the hospital and a week getting over PI gotten that way.
Lungs, eyes and throat and 80% of my body were involved.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 18, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #6959434

Marilyn, I seem to be immune to poison oak/ivy. I've never had it. You can lose immunity to it, so knock on wood!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6959471

Joey, you get good pics of the hummer the same way you get to Carnegie Hall. ^_^ This is from last year with the not-so-good camera.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6959988

Celia Going through your MILs house has been quite a journey for you and Darrell. Good luck on the sale of the house. Im surprised the sempervivum survives in the cold you get. Interesting. Renters can be destructiveI work for a long-term rental company. Did he get a security deposit? Make sure he gets a security deposit and to NOT consider it first or last months rent. If they leave the house in good condition they get it back, if not he keeps it to cover damages. He really needs to check into the UT laws.
Mau Cute sunflowers LOL!
Joey Gorgeous Hib!!
Ric Lookin Gooood!
Kiska I bet that water IS cold LOL!
Celia I bought a 4th hummer feeder. They love it LOL! Ive hung them all around the breakfast nook bay windows. It a constant source of entertainment to sit and watch the hummers and butterflies.

78.8 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 74 F
Pressure: 30.12 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 2500 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft

Today
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and afternoon thunderstorms. Highs around 90. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

Painted Lady Hib blooming

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #6960436

Sharon, he has a retired judge re-writing his leases. He owns 5 places so I don't know why it's such a problem for him. Shouldn't have a problem this time! LOL Pretty hib.

56.7 F with 85 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 40 F
Pressure: 30.04 in (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

My brother in OR sent me this a couple of weeks ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6960517

Kiska: that river really does look cold--wouldn't want to fall in!
Ric: I shudder to think about what you went through when you had the PI in your lungs! I suppose that took LOTS of steroids for you to get over it?
Celia: practice makes perfect--perhaps your photos will have their own "concert" in Carnegie Hall one of these days--well, maybe in an art gallery instead? LOL Nice jpic of the birds on the sand--they were probably looking for little crabs which had burrowed under the sand, you think?
Sharon: love the color on that hib! Gorgeous!

Here's that picture of Zach and Friday "surfing the net"--it's a little fuzzy but still good for a smile, I think.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6960526

Whoops! I forgot the weather:

Currently 80F and sunny--heading for a somewhat cooler 86F this afternoon. Hey, It's better than 90+ !
Daylahmnas
Chester, MA
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6960563

It is already a 85 at 10:30 a.m...can't breath outside at all...we have an air quality alert for ozone levels here and we are in the mountains at 1400 feet...I can't imagine what it is like down in the city. They have opened cooling centers down there for the ones who have no air conditioning. Our humidity level is indescribable...just step outside and the sweat starts pouring before you are off the threshold. The dewpoint is in the 70's of course...no wind... no clouds...and sun that is so bright it makes the eyes hurt...we have shuttered and curtained the inside of the house and set the mister on the plants for dispensing water every five minutes for 30 seconds or so...The plants survived yesterday so they should be fine today too but the larger garden is at risk today...The dogs are not let outside for more than two minutes even though the sheltie wants to lay in the sun...she has a coat on her that liz taylor would envy but she doesn't pant so we don't let her stay outside very often...it has to be in the 70's before she is allowed to enjoy the sun...Needless to say she is very bored when she can't lay with the chickens and geese. She likes to make sure they stay in their yard/pen. The turkeys are hot...they dehydrate so easily so we have set up a pool for them in a tupperware container as we did for the geese. the chickens dont know what to make of it...They just stare. LOL.

The picture is of how us humans feel right now...cuddled up inside with no sun. Thanks so much for starting this thread...I needed to vent.

Day

Thumbnail by Daylahmnas

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6960647

Welcome, Day. Where do you live that it's so hot? Sending happy thoughts to you, the gardens, the pup and the fowl. I know that chicken stare. LOL I do it, too. ^_^
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6960724

Welcome, Day! I take it you live somewhere in Massachusetts? It's hot and humid down here in the south, too. Sometimes people forget that our fine furry friends do suffer from the heat and humidity, too.. I don't let my little schnauzer out for very long during this heat and humidity, either. He thinks he wants to go out and play but when he gets outside, he starts panting really fast and in the meantime, the sweat is poring off me. I usually don't have too much trouble getting him back inside--LOL--although he does love to chase the squirrels around here.

The temp has moved up to 83F here. Still sunny--no clouds in sight. We could use another good soaking rain.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6961214

Nice and cool with scattered showers. We might hit 80 today but hoping not. LOL. I have a/c off and windows open!!
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6961217

76F with scattered thunderstorms passing through the area. It looks like our short stretch of hot "summer" weather will be ending by next weekend with highs only reaching 69 and 70 and highs in the 60's next week.

marsue...Cute photo. Fridays saying, woof, woof. Google Lassie. Please, please please Google Lassie!

Kelli...The sage and the red poison oak compliment each other well. Nice photo!

Here are a couple more photos from Clear Creek State Park. the first is an early morning trail scene.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6961223

Huge rhododendrons lined portions of the trail.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6961228

The Clarion River winds past the campground.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6961248

And finally, one last shot of the rhododendrons along the trail.

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #6961650

Celia nice jesture on your Brother's part but what are you going to do w/ a beach and a bunch of birds?

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6961653

Watch. Put up my feet and watch. After that...I'll watch some more.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #6961685

LOL!

Well we had a downpour this morning about 9 AM.
Of course there was a 10% chance of rain.
That took the humidity up to about 100% and made it great moving the last of the dirt.
It's raining about 40 miles north and south of us now.
Sunny here and 85. Nice breeze...

But we got the dirt moved and the Deck and Boardwalk and ourselves somewhat scrubbed off.
Then I plopped back in the Pond and continued the rock work.
IF it dries out enough tomorrow may see it done.

Day Welcome!!

Well off to scrub up.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 18, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6961793

[quote]The sage and the red poison oak compliment each other well.[/quote]

I said to DH, "Look how now nice that is with the red poison oak and the sage," and he looked at me like I was some kind of weirdo. LOL

Very nice today

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on August 18, 2009
80 F
Clear
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 58 F
Wind: 8 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.85 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 81 F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
UV: 11 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

A couple more videos, but they're pretty so-so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuC4epS0bIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPbbPoDcgLs

phacelia seed pods - I never thought I'd be showing you seed pods of the Santa Monica Mountains

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6962408

kelli~that's funny~can just imagine your DH's look after that comment. Seed pods are pretty, too.
60*F ~~mostly cloudy.
Welcome Day~ interesting reading about the heat; sounds just awful to deal with.
ric~have a great day tomorrow~wild weather in your part of the country would be difficult to deal with as well.
marsue~loved the computer pic of grandson and Friday.
kwanjin~looks like a great pic to sit and watch and dream of being there, too.
E_B~oh so pretty~lovely site and sight to see.
MySharona~how nice to have so many hummingbird feeders to enjoy the little birds~love the hibiscus blossom.
60 miles from Palmer~Matanuska Glacier. The headwaters of the Matanuska River.

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6962682

EB: funny you should say that about Friday "googling" Lassie-- He likes to watch the dog shows on Animal Planet--really! Lovely photos of the ferns and the rhododendrons!
Ric: you and Robyn have been busy--again!!
Kelli: interesting seed pods. LOL at your hubby!
Kiska: another lovely shot!
I think the weather people were all wrong on our temp. forecast today--it got up to about 93F--the temp. sign at the high school even said it was 100F later this afternoon but I don't think that was correct. We've had scattered thunderstorms all around the central AR area this afternoon but Cabot has only received a few sprinkles although the clouds helped to cool things off quite a bit.
I can still hear thunder rumbling in the distance--we might get some rain after all--hope so but I don't want any high winds or hail with it.

Everyone have a good evening!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6962818

It's cooling off a bit but w/ the humidity you'd never notice.
77 Dewpoint: 72 Wind: S 4 MPH Humidity: 85%
For once we're getting above average night temps so what few tomatoes we have are finally ripening.
Forecast is for rain again in the morning... but it wasn't forecast for this morning when it did...LOL!

e_b those are wonderful shots of a very pretty park. Thanks!

Look we have a deck again!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6962832

Rain tomorrow again and Thursday then it's supposed to be done for week. Still nice and cool all week. 70s and 80s. Is it really August?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2009
8:17 AM

Post #6963707

Wish I had more "garden" time right now, Been working a large side job (retail computer network). Do not think I have seen the garden behind the apartment for a few days but when a chance to make extra lands in your lap.

Been warm to hot and dry lately.

Care to all.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6964158

Good morning!

I was expecting wind and rain today ... but the sun is peeking through the clouds. Still mostly cloudy so it'll probably be a brief appearance. Slightly breezy, probably around 56F I'd guess.

EB - gorgeous photos! I especially like the misty river - just breathtaking!

Ric - lol! on Celias beach! The pond is shaping up nicely!

Celia - nice photo your brother sent you :-)

Mau - love the photo of Zach and Friday ... :-)

Kiska - beautiful!

Sharon - stunning color on the hibiscus!

Hello Day! - sure hope it cools down for you, sounds miserable ...

Anther photo from our trip last week ... in Gjin.

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6964784

74.0 F with 88 for the high. These days are perfect.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 39 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 F
Clouds: Few 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

My niece having a contraction at our house. I wish she'd hurry up and have this baby already. No word yet if she's gone to the birthing center. She had steady contractions every 10 minutes for 2 hours and then nothing. She did the same thing 1 week ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6965143

52*F~ highs to the low 60's; no rain so far and so we're going to drive up to Hatcher Pass for a hike.
Good morning all; have a great day.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6965192

Well, as know I went to IL and took some Cahokia area and Woodhenge also there is so much walking...

Woodhenge:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6965196

Woodhenge

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6965201

Cahokia Mountain:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6965204

Cahokia sign:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6965214

Other stand Woodhenge corner

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6965227

2 hill mountain Cahokia

Thumbnail by JuJu55

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6965589

I feel like a stranger.

74 and it's raining. Tornado watch till 7:00 pm. We're getting nice rumbles of thunder occasionally. I needed to mow today, but it was too wet with dew.

We had beautiful weather at the State Fair yesterday. Now, we'll have the boys over the weekend so DD can go to the fair.

Welcome Daylahmnas! I hear you on the heat and humidity. It'll pass, I hope!

Early, your pictures are cooling!

Kelli, laughing! I agree that the sage/oak picture was a beautiful combination! What neat seed pods!! They look frosty.

Kiska, another cooling picture for August. I love the that the clouds look like smoke signals.

Ric, same here with the tomatoes. We've picked exactly 3. Love the new pond and I'll bet it is nice to have a deck again! The glider looks very tempting!

Pepper, it really is! (Dancing) It has been a cool one for us with a few hot days thrown in.

Dyson, most of us have seen our gardens and I think we would take the extra too!

Rann, a big hug (((( )))) for you! I wish Iceland's troubles would be over. I can almost feel and hear the water in your picture. I'd just sit there and be hypnotized by it all.

Celia, having a contraction! That has to be the most unusual picture'' idea'' we've had here. I hope she goes soon too. Poor thing!!

Rusty, I'm sorry you felt sick after your reunion. It feels good to get back home doesn't it? Woodhenge and Cahokia look like very interesting places to walk around in. I didn't know Illinois had something like that.

My carrot harvest. All have been canned in a brown sugar glaze, and my hot pepper mix. I grew Nantes. Wireworms got a few, but most looked pretty good.

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6965815

Rusty, thanks for the tour. That was really neat.

BP, the carrots look yummy. Now I'm hungy again. LOL
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6966217

Celia Cool pic of the pelicans!
Mau Friday looks very studious surfing the net LOL!
Day Welcome! Wow sounds like you live here! Our humidity is terrible like yours instant sweat yuck. I hope you start cooling off soon.
Pepper I cant imagine the a/c being off in the middle of August.
E_B Fall so early? Im jealous LOL! Beautiful pics!
Ric - I had to laugh about the rain and heat and humidity {{sorry}}!
Kelli Pretty seed pods, is the plant a type of thistle?
Kiska- Beautiful picture!
Mau Hope that storm missed you! WX was talking about a storm in our area todayI kept thinking where?
Dyson Good to see you! I dont blame you one bit for taking more work. Hope you do get to check your garden soon though.
Celia - Any news on the baby?
Kiska Perfect temp for a hike! Did you take pictures?
Rusty Cool hike! How far was it? The pictures are beautiful!
Sally Wow your carrots are beautiful!

82.8 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 73 F
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 89 F
Clouds: Few 3700 ft
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Now
Through 8 PM...isolated showers and thunderstorms will remain possible through sunset. Periods of heavy rainfall and frequent lightning will be the main concerns. Activity will move northwest around 15 mph.

???? where?

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Happy Brom :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #6966265

The word on the baby is...nothing. (sigh) She saw her midwife this morning and there was a slight problem with orientation that is now fixed. The babies, not my nieces. Or something. The midwife said that next time the contractions start, we could very well have a new baby boy!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6966295

Rainy this morning, sunny at times this afternoon, then raining off and on since 4pm. Storms tonight. We are soaked out here but loving the temps!!! It's only in the high 70s right now.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6966302

living vicariously through my cooler friends :)

Celia- foot tapping impatiently for the baby to arrive
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 20, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6966359

Rusty, Cahokia sounds interesting. I've been to the mound at Moundsville, WV, but have never been to your part of the country.

[quote]Pretty seed pods, is the plant a type of thistle?[/quote]

No, it's just a phacelia. I can't think of anything common that is related to them. The flowers look like this http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/98637/

Another mild day for this time of year.

Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on August 19, 2009
84 F
Clear
Humidity: 41%
Dew Point: 58 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.81 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 84 F
Visibility: 9.0 miles
(Above Ground Level)

wand buckwheat

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 20, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6966373

golden stars seed pods

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 20, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6966375

some kind of grass

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6966393

Loved the carrot harvest and the thought of being canned/brwn sugar, sounds great, bp.
Rusty~what an interesting place to have visited. Thanks for the pics ~
MySharona~that's a gorgeous blossom~we just returned from our hike; the last minutes were in the rain, but overall, a great hike.
64* down here at home; a bit cooler up on the mountain. (wished I'd brought gloves:)
We continued on up from here~We'd already hiked uphill for several minutes.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6966410

kelli~that does seem like a mild temp for your area. The wildflowers/grasses are graceful and pretty.
Looking back down to the buildings where we began our hike. It's very steep and the elevation is about 4,000ft.

Thumbnail by kiska

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6966412

Here's the website of History of Cahokia Mound as used Indians build there...

http://www.cahokiamounds.com/

I wish to go back again and enjoy to take a long walk... I didn't walk that much this time when I was just got there first to see this place then I go get the motel last and took my dog out for short walk behind the motel oh just surprise to me ah! alot of poison ivys! I avoid and pull the leash Rusty away from them! I just don't want get on me for reunion next day... So, I did made there before the reunion start...
Not much this time so took some pixs of family... See my g-aunt still alive... Oh, I heard earthquake hit in Mexcio as that time I arrive there...

This pix is across the street that I was on parking lot

Thumbnail by JuJu55

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6966418

That's so pretty and green, Rusty.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6966422

That's long walk which I didn't go for that I just I took on parking lot that where the sign is..

Thumbnail by JuJu55

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6966432

Very pretty, Rusty. I wish my grass were that green again.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6966435

Forgot to mention the 5.0 earthquake this morning~no problems.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6966757

Bernie I hope everything's OK.
I heard there was an outbreak of Tornados up your way.

LOL @ Kiska . Oh BTW we had a 5.0 Earthquake.
Around here they'd be screaming in the streets!

Kelli that Buckwheat looks more like a spring bloomer...Cool!

Cool Rusty!
We'll have to check that place out.

There are several examples of Mound Builder Culture near here.
If anyone's interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Ancient_(Lebanon,_Ohio)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_Mound
http://ohsweb.ohiohistory.org/places/sw12/index.shtml

Fascinating how much earth they moved to create these places.
We've been to the Solstice ceremony at Fort Ancient a few times.

Well we moved some rock and washed the dog.
We're getting close on the Pond.
The Falls is basically done but we didn't have a Cap Stone.
We faked one for now.
Will need to make a few trips to the Hwy cut to get more rock.

Had a pop up shower this evening that lasted about 5 minutes.
SPLAT!
Just north of us they are getting pounded.
Plus that Tornado Storm that hit IL, WI, IO and MN are heading this direction.
Looks like it will stay well north of us but we may get a small piece of it tomorrow afternoon.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6966773

We plopped a few EE's in for a bit of color.

Thumbnail by henryr10

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 20, 2009
8:06 AM

Post #6967557

Hi, guys! It's been great reading your posts and seeing so many great pics! I've started cleaning the house after finishing a new dog house for the doggies. It was so heavy , but our neighbors helped us moving it outside , near our fence.
I had the biggest scare a few nights ago, when I was just about to go to bed...the laptop announced me I had to clean-up some of the folders because I ran out of space on the C driver...so I started to delete some photos I didn't need anymore. When trying to delete a whole folder with pictures the computer said it was too big and it will be permanently deleted...I said yes...arrrghhhh, what a fool!!!!! The next second I had NO PICTURES in my computer...they were ALL PERMANENTLY DELETED !!!!! I thought I'll have a heart attack, but I knew the photos still existed there, somewhere on the hard disk, but I didn't know where to find it. So I started to stick my nose in all the computer items, but I still couldn't find how to restore my deleted pictures. After trying for 2 hours...it was about 3 in the morning...sigh...I had the great idea to google the question"how to restore deleted items" in Romanian. And here it was...a program from Google, all free , called Recuva which I had to download and then run for recover my deleted photos. And IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yiiiiiippeeeeee!!!! At 4 a.m. I was selecting about 100, 000 pictures to be recovered. Thank God I could go to bed after half an hour, so happy I DID IT ! It seems not all the pics are recovered, but at least the most of it.
I still haven't recovered from this yet and even didn't want to sort the pics out...they are all disorganized...arrrggghhhhhhhh! Imagine I had photos taken since we moved in last year, all in daily folders...as much as I am happy I have the most of my pics back, I fell like crying when I think of how much work this will need, only to check each picture and delete those which weren't recovered and they're showing only the icons...ugh!
So you'll forgive me if i won't post any pics for now... deep sigh!LOL

Ric, the pond looks great and it was so wonderful and interesting watching it built up.
Mau, love your pics, especially the one with Zach and Friday which is priceless!
Kelli, wonderful wild flowers! The Texas Ranger name made me smile ...I am a Chuck Norris fan!LOL
E_B, great shots, love the Clarion River winds over the campground...amazing! Your garden looks more beautiful than ever! You are right about how nice is to live here after living in the city for all our lives! We are amazed everyday because we have the feeling we are on vacation...since we only stayed on a terrace outside in the open when we were on vacation!LOL
Sharon, great blooms! Sylvester is a cutie!LOL
Rann, awesome pictures from the hike, amazing falls! Again, so nice to see you with Hildur Eva...and you are both so beautiful!
Bernie, congratulations for the sale! With such fresh and good looking veggies, no wonder they sell so well! I couldn't see the price on tomatoes...just curious for comparison with ours! Here we have about $1.00 per kilogram which is 2.2 pounds.
Joey, your job sounds so interesting! I'm so happy for you!
Kiska, great pics from your trip! A 5.0 earthquake is pretty strong...we just had one a month ago which was felt on the seashore and they were scared of the tsunami...it seems they were some in the sea, but they didn't hit the shore. Only lots of algae came on the shore after that.
Sally, congratulations for the big carrots crop!
Celia, poor sempervivum, they were lucky to come to you! How's the pregnant niece? Did she see the doctor for those contractions?
Rusty, such GREAT plains and hills and so green!
Adina

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 20, 2009
12:02 PM

Post #6967816

Tomatoes are roughly $3.00 a pound.
Wild weather in MN yesterday. A tornado in Minneapolis. Mostly tree & roof damage. Scattered storms in other locations across the state. Very heavy rain in some areas.
We had about a half inch in the forenoon & a quick shower just after dark last evening.
MN drought is over!
I would expect the anticipated good corn & soybean crops will now be bumper crops!
Our watermelons should be ready to take to market today. Always a fun thing to sell.
Workers were picking onions on Tuesday. Got this big pile & still not done. I weighed a medium size one, 2 lbs.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 20, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6967820

Morning Glories taking over our arbor.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #6967929

Man that's a TON of Onions!
Literally!
Looks as if the MG's are happy! Very nice!

Clear here now. Rain moving in.

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #6967941

Kelli Well the flowers are pretty too!
Kiska Beautiful area for a hike!
Rusty Very pretty area!
Yikes at earthquakes in Mexico and Alaska.
Ric- The pond looks great!
Adina So glad you got all your pictures back! I would be so upset.
Bernie Glad the tornadoes missed you. Holy cow thats a lot of onions yummm and the morning glories are so pretty

77.7 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 73 F
Pressure: 30.06 in(Rising)
Heat Index: 79 F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft

Now
Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms will affect the northeast Florida and southeast Georgia coastline early this morning. The showers will extend from near guana river State Park to Jekyll Island in southeast Georgia. Brief periods of heavy downpours will be possible near the beaches in these areas...but most shower activity will probably remain just offshore of the coast through 830 am. Showers are moving north around 15 mph.

Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Locally heavy rainfall possible in the afternoon. Highs around 90. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

It was raining when I got up this morning. Just a nice rain for a change. Now it's steamy and muggy and humid. :P

This is what the skies usually look like during my drive home from work

Thumbnail by MySharona

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6967975

Well, as last night, Rusty really scared of T-storm again then no power for few seconds then back on...
Got raining good here yesterday and today... I hope storm will be over then get some warm around here sheesh it cold this early am... Get ready for winter soon and I have to stock up the foods for winter...

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6968393

38*F; thick fog ~
adina~I can only imagine how sick you were at deleting your photos; so glad you thought of the way to retrieve a lot of them; good luck with the rest, too.
CG~fantastic harvest; I bought one small tomato, 2 turnips, a small zucchini, a broccoli head and it cost $8.00. They were Alaska grown and so tasted really good:)) Otherwise, everything comes up from lower 48 by truck, barge or plane; but is less expensive.
ric~the pond is beautiful; it must be so nice to listen to the waterfalls and enjoy the hard work at this point.
MySharona~your drive/skies look great; the clouds give it a lot of interest.
Rusty~too bad about the Tstorms/poweroutage; glad it didn't last long.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6968523

Oh, Adina!!! I feel so bad for you! That must have been a horrifying 3 hours! So glad you found a way to get them back.

Rusty, give Rusty a hug from me.Storms are no fun when they're loud and scary.

Love the onions shot and the MG flowers.

No word on baby yet. This boy is definitely stubborn! LOL

77.0 F with 92 for the high.
Clear
Humidity: 27%
Dew Point: 40 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 F
UV: 2 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

August 20, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6968710

I'm still in shock!LOL I'm in the middle of a general cleaning and the kids are coming over tomorrow from Italy, so I didn't have time for any pics yet..but soon!
It's been hot here and we had a few showers last night...still hot today, but windy!
Celia, that is so sweet!
Bernie, love the MG on your arbor!
Sharon, great view!
Adina
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6970570

Perfect weather again!! LOL. High 50s in the early mornings then low 80s for high. Am just LOVING it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6970571

Adina I SO glad everything turned out OK!
Scary.
I have all mine backed up to a separate Hard Drive, another partition and DVDs.

Thought we were going to get hit and the rain went Poof!
We might get some late late tonight.

We got the runoff ditches around the deck side of the pond done.
And trimmed the rubber back.
It's attached to the deck forming a valley.
We'll decorate it as a dry stream bed.

Had an issue w/ the HT which turned out to be a 5 dollar fuse.
Whew! I thought we were looking at a major expense.

Well off to test the HT repair...

Here's Robyn's Brickroom repave.
Sanding it tomorrow.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2009
11:39 AM

Post #6971570

Kiska- Locally grown fruit and veggies are better!
Celia- Cute little birdlove the eyebrows!
Pepper You are killin me with your temps! One day LOL!
Ric - Wow looks great! I have a Maxtor external hard drive.

76.1 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 72 F
Pressure: 30.01 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

High surf advisory in effect from 8 am to 10 PM EDT Saturday... this is due to Hurricane Bill. He will stay 600 miles offshore.

Today
Patchy fog early in the morning. Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon with locally heavy rainfall. Highs in the lower 90s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent. Heat index readings 98 to 102.

Peanut playing

Thumbnail by MySharona

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 21, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6971761

On land hurricane for the last few days.
If you look at weather map, you will see a low pressure area, hurricane, stretching from South Dakota to Maine. Hard to tell how far south, but looks like at least Kentucky & far into Canada. Center right now is NE of Lake Superior.
There has been lots of rain around here the last week. Some areas had up to 4 & 5 inches.
So Minnesota drought is history.

We will be working in mud to get things picked today.

Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6972540

Thanks, Sharon. Darrell called them the "Brezhnev" eyebrows.

98 today and 100 tomorrow.

I go back for a checkup at the eye Dr. today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6972894

I had a long post all typed up and lost it when I hit the wrong button--grrrr! My fingers still aren't accustomed to the keyboard on this laptop. Maybe someday-----in the meantime, I'm just going to keep this one short.

It rained here all morning yesterday, a slow drizzle which we needed badly, and then the sun came out until about 7 p.m. and then we had more rain for a couple of hours. I did manage to get in about 45 minutes of weedeating before the rain started. It looks better around the flower beds but I still have more to do--will do that later this evening when it is cooler.

Currently sunny and in the high 80'sand slightly windy

crepe myrtles (one in front and another one in the background) which Buddy dug up from his cousin's yard a couple of years ago--they were just small "sticks" then--this is the first time they have bloomed for us.

Thumbnail by marsue

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6973638

Bernie Well, at least the drought is over! I hate it when it happens at one time.
Celia LOL at Brezhnev brows! Its so true!
Mau Yay! Its blooming!

75.4 F
Light Thunderstorm Rain
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 68 F
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 400 ft
Scattered Clouds 3600 ft
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft
Overcast 13000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Now
Through 645 PM...scattered showers and thunderstorms continue to move across northeast Florida. The heaviest activity will move through Belleview...Juniper Springs...Georgetown...Crescent City...Saint Augustine...guana river State Park...downtown Jacksonville...Northside Jacksonville and Amelia Island. Movement is east at 5 to 10 miles per hour. Expect brief gusty winds...heavy rainfall and dangerous cloud to ground lightning with thunderstorm activity.

High surf advisory in effect from 8 am to 10 PM EDT Saturday...

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. West winds 5 mph.

Looks a little more threatening than what we're getting. Taken at 5:20 this evening...still prety dark out, but the rain is slight now. It hasn't gotten crazy...yet.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 21, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6973707

[quote]The Texas Ranger name made me smile ...I am a Chuck Norris fan!LOL[/quote]
My sister had a thing for Chuck Norris back when she was a kid. Of course like any good sister, I teased her about it. I'm glad you were able to find your photos.

It was about 91F and then it clouded up. 20% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow (yeah, we'll see)

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on August 21, 2009
82 F
Overcast
Dew Point: 46 F
Wind: 12 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.89 in (Rising)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6500 ft
Overcast 18000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Most of the moisture will initially be confined to the mid and
upper levels of the atmosphere through tonight... with the lower levels
remaining fairly dry. This will result in the potential for dry lightning
strikes and gusty winds with thunderstorms through tonight... brining
heightened fire weather concerns to the region. By Saturday... the
air mass moistens... bringing an increased chance of measurable precipitation
across southwest California... along with the potential for brief heavy
rain.

This flow pattern is expected to bring a significant surge of
subtropical moisture with increasing humidities to the area through the
weekend. In addition... maximum and minimum temperatures are
expected to be significantly warmer over the next couple of days.

DH and grass and bushes (kind of looks like Africa)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 21, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6973712

purple sage seed pods

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 21, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6973714

California honeysuckle berries

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6974017

Perfect weather here. Nough said. LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 22, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6974071

Our poor cooler isn't big enough today!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6976065

84.9 F with 99 for the high. We hit 100 in West Valley yesterday. If it was supposed to be 98, it will be 102 today. Just my prediction.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 20%
Dew Point: 39 F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 12.0 mph
Pressure: 29.90 in (Falling)
Clouds: Few 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Still no baby at nieces house.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6976072

Another perfect day here. LOL. Going to state fair this afternoon and staying to see Brooks and Dunn tonight.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6976142

A perfect day for the fair sounds wonderful! Have fun!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #6976232

It will be great since the temps are usually close to 100 during the fair.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6977562

Kelli are those cattails in the first shot?
Is that a dry stream area?

I thought of your reed collecting saga today.
We have been searching for this forever... well I have anyway.
Robyn now though is convinced I was right.

Here's today's addition.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6977579

Cool and cloudy most of the day here.
We might have hit 70.
Supposed to be 59 by daybreak.
Back to near 90 by Weds...

This reed fence was made in China but it's probably the same stuff they were harvesting.
As I said I've been searching for an inexpensive supply for years.
HD of all places had it...
I think it really makes the 'boo stems POP!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2009
6:40 AM

Post #6978378

More rain today - needs to dry out a bit.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6978752

Mornin' Everybody! We're still rather wet here, too. It's a cool 68 & I think that in the next couple of days we should dry out.
Mostly Cloudy: 68F
Feels like: 68F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 64
Humidity: 88%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 3 mph NNW
Sunrise: 6:47 AM
Sunset: 8:05 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Bernie, Since you didn't have enough room in your freezer...did you get to take everything you wanted to the market? How did you do?
Ric! Looks Marvelous! Love the reed fence! Have you heard when you go back to work?
Sharon, Looks like Peanut is having a 'hoot' outside! :D LOL! Is it easy for her to 'get lost'? I hope things didn't get too 'crazy' for ya! :-O
Celia? Baby? I'm thinkin' I have to get me a new camera! Speaking of which... I need to go get mine out of the car & check out the pics I took yesterday...
Mau, How's it goin'? :D
Sally! What great lookin' carrots! Yummmmm... The tomatoes are finally ready here...must make sauce.
Kelli, The 1st thing I thought of when I saw your DH was 'Out of Africa'! :D Love the sage!

Well, BBL...gotta get the camera.
Joey

(we have Dora in one of the tanks at work)

Thumbnail by music2keep

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 23, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6978845

Beautiful day yesterday, high was 73.
Same today, a little warmer, high of 80 +.
Market was great yesterday. 5 of us had trouble keeping up. Biggest day ever in the history of Country Gardens. We sold out of a few things, but still had a good selection for the final shoppers.
Trimmed up a row of tomatoes this morning. Not sure what the rest of the day will bring. I need to mow the road ditch alongside the Gladiolus field. Rest of the lawn is getting long, too.
3 trees were cut down last Monday to make way for the electric upgrade. Still some clean up to do there. We are way small on our power supply, so it will be made bigger this week. Going from 100 amp service to 200 amp. Also new & bigger wires into the house. A new supply line to some of the out buildings will be connected. We buried it this spring when digging was easy.
We are hoping the whole system will reduce our electric bill by a bit. Only thing not electric here when we are done will be the greenhouse & wood shop furnace's which are oil.
Watermelons are super tasty this year.
This cooler summer weather sure is great for crops. Onions, peppers, & potatoes are huge, with bumper crop. Everything has great flavor, too.
Tummy is calling for food, so BBL.
Bernie

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6978910

Bernie, Glad to hear that the market went well! And it sounds like you have your work cut out for you rewiring & such. Good Luck!

Some of the pics from the fair...could any of you tell me what this is. It's a vine & Absolutely gorgeous. Yep, I want it! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6978916

And this is another one that was in a planter...haven't got a clue on this one either.

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6978922

Ric, there were all kinds of antique tractors...(behind the sun flower)

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6978926

Just one more...

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6978937

Joey Peanut sticks close to Prissy. Pretty much where Prissy is Peanut is about 2 steps behind her LOL! The waves at the beach are a little crazy, but no bad weaterh from Bill. Beautiful color on Dora! Clueless on the plants names, but I would like to know #1 too. Very cool vine!

76.3 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 67 F
Wind: 4.3 mph
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph
Pressure: 29.92 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 78 F
Clouds: Few 6000 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 f

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs around 90. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6978965

Perfect day here...if we were in Iceland (Sorry Rann).
63 and sunny... going to maybe 73...
WAY too cool for August. Heck to cool for most of Sept!

Ric

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 3:43 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6979729

Joey, your vine is a clematis but I'm not sure which one.

Sharon, cute birdie! LOL

Bernie, I've noticed the gifts we've been getting from neighbors this year are tastier than from other years, too. And larger donations.

We had some rain today for about a half an hour. 88 for the high.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6980031

Joey try Clematis 'Roguchi'

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6980038

That's also fun to say...roguchi. Sounds designer.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6980117

LOL! Celia! ;D and btw that's a great bird pic! :D
Ric! That's It! :D Now I'm going to have to get me one! I have the perfect spot for it! ;)
Sharon, does that mean that Prissy has a 'Peanut' shadow? :) Sorry I couldn't resist! ;)

I may have to experiment w/ sweet potato vines, too.

Thumbnail by music2keep

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 23, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6980361

54*F light rain~typical for this time of year; highs to low 60's, with luck.
The Alaska State Fair, held here in Palmer, begins on Thursday. My 15 yr old gdaughter is going to enter a "German Sandtorte" cake. It's a pound cake, but seems to be richer and more dense. It's a very old recipe; filled with eggs, butter, sugar and sour cream.
Fair time around the country, it seems. Love the flowers you saw at the fair, m2keep.
ric~love the look of the fence, too. It does make the bamboo "pop".
CG~sounds wonderful to have had such a successful day; lots of work ahead w/electrical, but also seems like a good idea.
hello to all ~ see you tomorrow.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 23, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6980581

[quote]Kelli are those cattails in the first shot?
Is that a dry stream area?[/quote]

It's some kind of grass and it's just a trail. Stream beds, even dry stream beds, get too growed up to walk through.

It wasn't cloudy and humid yesterday like they were calling for. I doubt that it rained anywhere.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on August 23, 2009
90 F
Partly Cloudy
Dew Point: 53 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.87 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 88 F
UV: 8 out of 16
Clouds: Few 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6980861

Perfect weather last night and today. Brooks and Dunn concert great despite all the crazy drunks (especially the really old ladies!! Who'd a thunk it?). Had a blast and because I parked in the back by the campground instead in front by main gate I had no trouble getting out and on the highway. I'm parking there next year!! LOL

I should hopefully get all my pics finally downloaded this week and can start posting from past events up til last night.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6981111

I've got to find some of that grass Kelli.
Looks like dried cattail w/ none of the marsh problems.
ct's a so pond agressive...

Cool day here.
We might have hit 70.
Down to 64 already going for 54. IN AUGUST?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6981180

I think the grass is either canary grass or orchard grass but I'm not so great at id-ing grasses. The heads are about two to three inches long. The picture at August 19, 2009
05:17 PM is the same thing.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6981404

Rained again this afternoon. Unfortunately I was asleep when it started - the sunroof of the Yarius was open (will require planning for the morning commute).

Nice pics all.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6981416

Ric, your Illustris looks taller than mine already! Do you keep all your EE's in pots? It looks like they are sitting in the water--do they like to be that wet all the time? My Illustris is in the ground and made it through the winter last season. I think I have mine in too much sun--no shade at all. I will probably move it this fall. I still have lots of Illustris babies coming up if anyone else wants some.

Bernie: congrats on the big day at the market! Hooray for Country Gardens!

Pepper: it's been perfect weather here this week-end, too. I heard on tv that the Canadian cool front has made it all the way down into the gulf of Mexico and brought cooler temps and low humidity with it. I 'm enjoying it while it lasts. Back into the normal August weather pattern by the middle of the week, though.

Joey: I don't have a clue about your mystery plants but they are pretty! Dora is electric blue!

Kelli: I wonder if they made Out of Africa in that area? --LOL (probably not)
Some of you folk are already having state fairs--ours isn't until October.

Sharon: does Prissy like having a "shadow"?

Celia: has the baby made its appearance yet?

As I said earlier--wonderful weather here this week-end. Everybody around here was out working in their yards yesterday and today.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6981441

I just talked to Jean. That's my niece. No baby yet. She said the only other lady in her group had her baby an hour ago. And that she hates being last! LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #6981624

Nice shots Joey and cool tractors!
Looks like a fun time.

Pepper there's always someone trying too hard at concerts! lol!

Bernie Congrats!
I know it's been a lot of work but it appears Mother Nature is smiling on you.

Kelli I'll have to check into that grass. Thanks!

Kiska Good Luck to your GD!
Looks like Fall is in the air there... YIKES!

Mau we grow almost all our Colocasia in water.
'Illustris' and 'Big Dipper' especially love it.
Plus they take so much watering that it would be impossible to keep up.
They won't winter that way though. They would rot as soon as it got cool.
We'll start weaning them to drier conditions in about a month.
Then we treat them like house plants or let them go dormant if the corms are big enough.
Next year (or this still) try building an earthen dike around them and flood it one a week.
LOTS of fert and water is the key.
I'll get a shot of our Alocasia tomorrow.
Potted it's got leaves at least a yard long from shoulder to tip.

Celia where'd you find that solar asian lantern?
Looks cool there!

Dyson don't forget your 'sitting' towel in the morning... ;-)

Hosta laevigata
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #6981861

Ric, we got those at Big Lots 3 years ago. And thank you.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #6982208

we moved here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1030733/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America