Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Gardener / Masochist: I rearrange little trees like furniture!

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardener / Masochist
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardener / MasochistReplies: 7, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

August 17, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #6956044

Oh dear, you got it down perfect! HOW DID YOU KNOW! Oh, yeah, you are crazy enough to think a ball bat beat'n will do something! I am going to try it on a sour cherry that died this summer, then put at a leaf at the bottom and then it died, and when I told my husband to run it over with a mower, he informed me that the twig was still green. It deserves a beat'in!

* This year I planted and lost three expensive apple trees- Last year I planted and lost five expensive apple trees. I CAN NOT raise them around here, there is too much cedar rust. I just don't seem to be able to get the POINT! I should know better than anybody though. After all I am the one that sprays the fence rows on our farm and I see the cedar trees all coated with a layer of dark yellow jelly that looks like something from outer space, in a movie called the "BLOB"! But it has not stopped me yet! I dare myself to get enthused this winter and order more! Please pray for me!

I have a long list of things that I am going to move this winter too. That is right; winter is just about as busy as the summer for me! "BECAUSE I MOVE LITTLE TREES LIKE MOST PEOPLE MOVE FURNITURE!"

* I am moving a scarlet maple out back (poor thing, this will make the fourth time), but I found a better place, Where it is now I decided I wanted to keep that area open so I can see my arbor from my window! I have moved it in the past because I needed a place for a pool, and then it was too close to the garden, and then my husband ran over it with the tractor on his way to the hay field. What he is doing in the yard, beats me?

* I am moving a yellow oak (poor thing, this will make the third time) . Have not found a better place for it yet, but don't want it next to the blackberries I put in this spring! The year before I did not want it near the Asian pear tree I planted.

* I am moving a persimmon tree that almost died of drought last summer, but made up for it this year and really grew big - it is going to be a real effort to move - but I put a strawberry patch next to it this year, and besides I have a better, wetter place for the persimmon - but it is big!

* .I am moving six hazelnut trees this winter too, I planted them this spring and they are too close together. I have been slowly preparing a very long bed for them this summer - four times the size it is now! WOW! it is big! I bought them from a local buyer (about two hours away by road) 20 minutes by way the crow flies. We made it a all day family outting -because it took all day. I sneaked 150 dollars out of the bank account to pay for them. It was insane, after all how many hazelnuts could I have purchased at the store for 150 dollars?

* I am moving a highbush cranberry too, I moving it up next to our metal building so the geese can have some shade, besides it does not match in my row of hydrageas and snowball bushes.

* I am moving a little pecan tree away from a long row of verburniums and roses ; over next to the other pecan tree, because I found out that pecans give off a poison like a black walnut.

I just hope the winter will be long, but not be too cold this year!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6957315

Thanks, Liquid! Glad you liked the article. Sorry about your fruit trees. I am the same way. Hate to give up on them and don't really want to saturate them with chemicals.

Good luck with the moves.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6964441

Wow, Liquid! You were right about the tree-moving, like moving furniture! Oh my gosh--- that's alot of work! How do you get your family to keep on helping you...time & time again? My family members would look at me and say,"You wanna move what, where? Can't...it's too big." Ha! Did you draw out a little plan on paper to make sure that this is where you want each and every tree, so you will notice if a tree will still be in the right place when it is fully grown?...like, how later they tend to shade lots of garden space which was formerly sunny? (such as our Live Oak tree, which shades too much of my garden now. But it's huge, so I'm not moving the Oak; now I have to grow plants which take less sun, or dappled shade in that area). Good Luck on all the moves! =)
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

August 19, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #6966166

PetalPants!
No! Nobody helps me! I would not even ask! I may be a woman and thus it gives me the right to change my mind as long as I am willing to do the work!

No, I did not map all this out, I went and stood for hours and decided. I have been in the past very good at this and can just see how it all will fit together.

It is just that when I moved in I was not a masochist gardener yet!

It also helped that I was wore out from a big cross country move, and to move into our new house I also had to do some very hard jobs like putting down wood floors, finishing them, and putting up the doors (husband travels in his job a lot and gone a lot) to finish our new house kept me very busy.

. SO, I thought a few maples and a couple of oaks and I was done. BUT That is not meeeee! I should have know that once everything was settled down I would want it all! The blackberrys, hazelnuts, persm -- not the maples and certainly not two oaks. I still have time to cut down the pin oak it is only 12 feet tall! It is close to the garden and the blackberrys - what do you think? By the way Would you want the yellow oak it is still small -- you know it stays small if you move it regularly like.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6968305

Liquid, I don't know how you can personally dig all those big holes! Is the soil where you plant them fairly good soil or do you have to amend it while planting? Our dirt here is hard clay, difficult to dig, & you Have to add compost & stuff to make it suitable for anything to grow. I change my mind Alot on where I want shrubs & plants, which is why I have so many in pots ---because I couldn't decide For Sure where to plant it, which means I have to water more often. I have tried to draw plans, which might be usable if our yard was about an acre, and not just a city backyard! Ha!! (No, my plans are never really to scale!) I would like your Yellow Oak, but don't know where I could put it, maybe near the front street...I don't know anything about Yellow Oaks actually, even if they grow down here. You can probably find someone nearer you who has the same environment that might need some shade...How big is your yard or acreage by your house? ...Wow, a 12 ft. pin oak; bet it has a long taproot! Let me know how it all goes; I'll be helping you dig & move in spirit! (I know it doesn't Really help, but it might lend a little moral support! ) Don't know if you remember or ever heard that old Helen Reddy song, " I am Woman, hear me roar... I am strong, I am invincible, I can do Anything!" ---always made me feel so courageous...gosh, I'm going to have to go find that song, as I feel like I could use a boost! (or could it be that I'm using my husband's laptop, which I have never done before, because the wireless keyboard on the reg. computer is ...weird & not working...hate that thing! Anyway, this thing gets so warm on your lap; I 'm actually sweating because of it!) Take care & keep me update on your 'furniture-moving'! =)
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

August 25, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6985075

I might should amend the soil but I figure I might as well let God some thing!. I do amend for the blueberries though because God tells me he made the soil clay and he made the blueberries for sandy soil, and thus it is my problem. I have probably about two acres around the house and then a very long driveway which is probably another long acre (and I landscape that too). The house before this one had five acres and I landscaped it all, and then the house before that had three acre and I landscaped all that too. I am tired! I swore I as going to be good on this third house, I really meant too, but Victorgardner is right, we all are just out to really be (best word) Masochist!

BUT I am cutting down that pin oak this winter, well maybe I will get my son to do it!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

August 25, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6985218

PS
The reason I will try to get my son to cut the 12 foot pin oak down is because I asked my husband to do it the other day. My husband thought on it for a minute and he said, "Maybe I can move it down to the end of the drive way!"

Oh dear!
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6986729

Liquid, I'd tell my husband, "Go ahead...I'm busy that day!" =)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardener / Masochist Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Living life on the edge! chrissy100 31 Mar 16, 2008 2:31 AM
I'm not alone! lindanat 3 Mar 5, 2008 4:40 PM
funny flowAjen 11 Aug 17, 2009 7:01 PM
Confessions of a gardenaholic jsw45807 5 Aug 19, 2009 2:56 PM
Observe do not suffer Noturf 0 Mar 3, 2008 11:19 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America