Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Question about hollyhock seeds

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 10, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Breeze1947
Milan, OH

August 17, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6958358

I was wondering when to put the hollyhock seeds in the ground can I do it this fall or should I wait tell next spring also how? I tried to winter sow some about 2 years ago with no luck at all winter sowing is not for me. I sure hope someone can answer this question.

Thanks Breeze1947
skimper
Greenwich, OH

August 17, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6958501

Hello:Breeze,
You can sow hollyhock seeds in late fall or early spring.
I have sowed hollyhock seeds in late september.
You will see germination next year.
2gonefishing
Milwaukee, WI

August 18, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6961179

Yes it true Hollyhocks can be sown as listed. However remember if you want the plants to bloom next season you must sow this year. Don't be scared win some lose some just try again and this time--remember to mulch. I found home compost material works great, just before it begins to show signs of frost I slowly begin to cover with the compost. After the frost first date begins I add a little more on top of the several already layers and finally when it is cold, cold the straw--ground is frozen almost to the touch. It is a matter or try try try--your green thumb should kick in--give it a try--plant now--fast-fall is approaching!

P.S. remember Hollyhock seed is not always true from last year plants--the hybrid are just that hybrid and can only be true if the plant is divided!

Good Luck--
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6961201

Hollyhocks will self sow if you do nothing. As soon as the seed hits the ground germination begins. The new small plants will usually not be far from the parent plant. They will be large enough to move by fall if you need to move them. These are the ones that are sure to bloom the following summer.

Birds will eat the seed therefore they get moved about and found at the base of the common bird perching shrubs. I have always thought Chip and Dale move them around also but have no proof of that opinion.

2gonefishing
Milwaukee, WI

August 18, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6961882

It is true seeds disappear--the chipmunk-definately, the field mouse-definately; the worm-definately; the birds-definately, the neighbors-definately, and the list goes on and on. All hollyhocks will self sow however the newer Hybrid will not sew true--they will and cannot look just like the parent. There are so many different varieties on the market-and the word Hybrid has stopped the hollyhock Hybrid varieties from self sowing looking just as the parent--hence divdie the plants if this is the case
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6961979

Thanks for catching my ommision...division is the only way to increase hybrids. I never cared that much thus I forgot about division.
2gonefishing
Milwaukee, WI

August 18, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6962013

Hey who can keep track--thank God for the computer era--still have so much to catch up on years of notes--I too still need to stop and think and think and think!

Happy Gardening,

"God's Garden" Wildlife Habitat Garden

For more Home brews, ideas how to help your gardens search categories-some of todays categories I hopefully helped or at least made you think: wildlife, birds, blackberries etc.. "God's Garden" Wildlife Habitat Garden (Celebrating 35 years)-user name 2gone fishing! I try my best to answer--to exchange ideas with other garden caregivers! Off to the Gardens--the wildlife, and domestics await!
Mincey1
Loris, SC
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6962691

Hay, Thanks For info . on hollyhocks I have tryed several times sowing hollyhocks and never had any luck. I think I was sowing at the wrong time Thanks
mincey1
Breeze1947
Milan, OH

August 19, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #6966156

Hi,

Thanks for the information I will try and get seeds going this fall you all said the last of Sept.. I sure hope they take off for me.

Breeze1947
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2009
11:11 AM

Post #6967685

When we observe what nature does without our help we discover the best time to plant anything not just hollyhocs. The best time is when they fall naturally from the plant. By delaying planting we take away from the benefits of getting a good start and nice growth into fall.
2gonefishing
Milwaukee, WI

August 21, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #6973727

Well spoken--could not agree more!

Gods Garden Wildlife Habitat in a City, 2gonefishing

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America