Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Judy's Hot & Sweet Tomato Relish

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 4, Views: 114
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #6958386

Every "gardener" finds themselves with too much fruit or vegetables and if they are prudent will attempt to "fix" a dish or relish to used the produce. I had a bag of sweet onions about to go bad (sweet onions don't last as long as yellow or white) also we had plenty of tomatoes, wonderful sweet tomatoes given to me by a friend. I remembered cooking a delightful sweet and hot relish years ago which went so very well with peas and beans or on hot dogs so ... First off I fixed BigDaddy fresh Salsa which he will eat on everything from tacos to omelets, but it won't last long without going bad in the refrigerator so the remainder of the produce had to be cook using vinegar to preserve it. I don't do "canning" if I can keep from it therefore my aim was for a couple of pint jars of relish which could be kept in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. BUT it had to be good enough so that we would actually use in that length of time. Here is what I did ...

Judy's Hot & Sweet Tomato Relish

Tomatoes - ten or so BIG ones

Jalapeno pepper - one medium size, depending upon you fancy for the hot stuff

Sweet Onions - 4 medium

Brown Sugar - about 2 cups, kept adding a tad, to offset the heat of the Jalapeno pepper, so I can't say exactly

White Vinegar - about a cup or two, again I went by taste

Sea Salt, black pepper and cumin to taste

The tomatoes were too juicy so cooking down was taking a long time. My back was hurting therefore I started thinking of ways to thicken it without a negative impact on the taste ... CERTO, used in making jelly, jam and such. I had some on hand so I added an envelope, then boiled it for 3 minutes. The texture was exactly what I wanted, thickened up the "juice" nicely. I hope it doesn't turn into Relish Jelly over night. lol lol

My motto in reference to cooking is: get creative, if I mess it up the rescue dogs or "strays that came to stay" will eat it, but that doesn't apply to tomato relish. I can just imagine what their attitude toward tomato relish would be. lol lol lol

Have fun and be creative while cooking!!!

Judy
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #6979768

It did NOT turn into "Relish Jelly" the texture is great, since then I've cooked up several batches and into the freezer they went.

Judy
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2009
10:09 AM

Post #7016412

sounds good i will try it , he had asked me can't make salsa or something with all tomatoes nevr made it either.. i did make some delious banana muffins though..
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7034426

Twyla,

I've had so many tomatoes that I've been experimenting ... I made a tomato dipping sauce (use with chicken nuggets or just about anything) by putting the tomatoes through a food processor, put them in a colander in a big bowl to drain the juice. Put the juice in a heavy pan, added both brown sugar and white sugar need lots cause it's kinda like making a syrup. Cooked until it thickened then added the tomatoes, cinnamon and pumpkin spice. I know you can't eat it but maybe he would like it.

Wish you the very best,

Judy
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #7038633

thanks Judy.. i have 2 bags tomatoes froze up to use for something . would like a marina sauce i spelled it wrong for dipping.

take care.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America