4-H helmet rule

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I know this is a serious subject, but I feel this needs to be passed on. 4-H in Ohio added a new rule this year. Helmets must be worn while riding or driving by members 19 and younger at any 4-H event or activity.
Our county read this to mean the county fair as well. We are very glad we did. A 15 yr. old member is alive now because of this. Her horse bolted during a funshow at the fair on Fri. She landed head first into a gater, the helmet saved her life. We saw the helmet yesterday. It was badly cracked and the inside is fine. She is in the hospital with neck and back injuries, but is talking and texting her friends. The family and the kid hated the rule, but followed it anyway. They now support it . Her aunt says she won't ride without one now.
The kid is in my 4-H club, and the doctors are allowing the kids to see her later this week. It was scary to watch unfold.
We are now are working on fundraisers for the family.
I felt the need to pass this along, thanks for listening.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I'm all for it...

Which reminds me, I need to find a white one ... This black nogging protector I've got is *killing* me when I ride hunter...

I've gotten more lax about it lately, unfortunately. It's hard to convince myself that I should have it on when it's black, and the heat index creeps near 110F when I'm starting out the ride...

Helmets are insurance - better to "pay up front" than be in a hospital bed drooling on yourself for the rest of your life from an accident.

South Hamilton, MA

Could you find a white cover for it?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I can't imagine covering the thing - those little vent holes are already limiting air flow to my brain... Covering them,, argh. :)

South Hamilton, MA

I asked because our grandaughter has a sycadellic (sp?) one she uses when she rides western. Usually not as hot in Ohio. the family has always required helmets. According to J-2 the injured girl was riding western & when her horse bolted was thrown up onto his neck with her feet still in the stirrups & the horn prevented her from sliding back onto the saddle & she didn't have the power or position to turn his head & make it impossible to run. One of those freak happenings & the horse threw her head first into the machine which would have killed her if she did not have the helmet. A new person is in charge at the state 4-H & had enough sense to put the rule in.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Holy Holy OWWWWW.

Yikes.. up on his neck, feet still in stirrups... how the... horsefeathers?

Medina, OH

I remember how I HATED my father's rule. If caught riding without a "hunt cap" (am I dating myself?) , I was fined 25 cents. Big money in those days! He stuck to it; and I still wear one. S.

South Hamilton, MA

skeeler: how close are you to Huron. The accident was at the Erie county 4-H fair. They were going to take the helmet over to the Huron county 4-H to impress on the kids & unfortunately the parents how neccessary it is to wear one. We didn't fine our girls, just told them that if they didn't wear one, they could not ride. It was the norm here so not a problem. I don't know how the parents of boys worked. I think they probably took it as normal. there is a polo team in the area so they wore helmets as well. The new person in the state office insisted on it, luckily for the family envolved. I was never so glad to hear that a girl is texing.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I had hunt caps too. The helmets now are much better.
The girl broke vertibrea 2-9 and 12. Luckily it's the sides and not the middle and that the breaks are clean. It was scary to see the horse bolt. She was stuck in front of the horn with no way to stop. He broke throgh a vinyl fence and later she came off into the gater. The bed supports are cracked and need to be replaced because of the force she hit it with.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Glad she is gonna be ok!!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

DD and friends went to see her in the hospital. Things are progressing well. She sould be home in a couple of weeks and maybe back at school 2 months later. She still has short term memory loss, but she is going into therapy for that.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I thought I would update the girl's progress. She no longer needs the neck brace. They figure she'll be home in about 3 weeks. She will be back to school after winter break. She's mad she can't snowboard this winter and vows to ride again. She'll be in therapy for about 18 months for the brain injury to help relearn to focus her memory. It's still to painful to get out of bed, but she works on it everyday.

South Hamilton, MA

Good for her! Working can get her well.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Glad she's coming along well!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images