Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Goldenseal and the Boxed Pie Supper: Good old Goldenseal

Communities > Forums > Article: Goldenseal and the Boxed Pie Supper
bookmark
Forum: Article: Goldenseal and the Boxed Pie SupperReplies: 7, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2009
7:27 AM

Post #6959747

I used to make an ointment with Goldenseal and Comfrey for scrapes and such- it worked quite nicely!

Never heard of boxed pie suppers, seems like a nice idea, though I guess these days it would probably be considered "unsafe". :-/

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2009
10:01 AM

Post #6959857

nice article ... yes I would imagine it would be unsafe now ... amazing what didn't kill us years ago will today

:)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #6959992

Oh, it definitely was the prettily decorated box that drew the high prices! :)
I so enjoy reading your tales and have wonderful images in my head of all sorts of adventures.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 18, 2009
11:31 AM

Post #6960006

Fabulous article, Dear Sharon! I remember the Halloween carnivals we had at my elementary school and even though it wasn't boxed pie suppers, all the women made desserts which were available for sale. Seems like my mother always made my favorite pie, coconut meringue, to take to the carnival. They were great fun, those carnivals, for kids at our school. Each classroom in the school was turned into a special "event" but the only one I remember was the fishing booth, which was one of the classrooms with an area curtained off and behind the curtain, of course, was one of the teachers. The kids would go fishing with a long limb and piece of string, throw the string over the curtain and the teacher behind the curtain would tie something to the string, which the child "caught" on his fishing line. Don't even remember any of the prizes, only the fishing booth. Why is that? Must have been something special for me to remember that after all these years.

Life was so much simpler back then and your articles always make me remember something special from my own childhood. Thank you for all the trips down memory lane.

Angie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
11:38 AM

Post #6960015

I think 1pony didn't go to bed, and onewish is up before daylight! Good morning.

I thought as I wrote the article that such an event could not happen in these days, though I don't remember when it stopped. I only remember boxed pie suppers from my early school days, so that would be in the 50's. Lots of things changed since then. They were fun, though, and something entire families looked forward to. I don't remember a single person becoming sick from them.

On the other hand, I would not eat food from one of them now either.

Pony, goldenseal does make a nice ointment, very soothing.

Thanks for writing, it's always so good to hear from you.
Hope your day is good.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #6960124

Hi Jan and Angie,
Almost missed you...it's the memories that grab us, isn't it?

I do remember the 'carnivals' too, seems that when we graduated from boxed pie suppers we went right into carnivals. One time I remember a talent show in one of the rooms, and I lip-synced to "Poppa Don't Preach to Me" as a part of the talent. I can't sing a lick, Angie, which is probably why they had me mouthing the words. Got to wear a long gown though, one that was taped up at the hem and pinned to take it in, in the back. I was scared to death it would fall off while I was doing my great performance. And heavens, I got to wear lipstick!! Think I was about 10, maybe weighed 50 pounds. I say that because in my 'baby book', there is a part where mom wrote that she was worried because at 9 years old in the 4th grade, I weighed 49 pounds. Since the lipstick and gown didn't come along till the 5th grade, I'm just guessing. Fun memories.

Thanks for jogging another memory.
You all have a good day, looks a little cloudy here.
Kat_M
Merced, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6960289

Thanks for all the wonderful articles, Sharon! I really enjoy reading them. Although I grew up in CA, my parents were country folk, and my dad's family had origins in Kentucky, so believe it or not, I can relate to some of your interesting tales. I've used Goldenseal, and have long been interested in learning more about herbal medicines, so I've especially appreciated your "Aunt Bett" stories. Ah, the good ol' days, huh?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6960307

Hello, Kat,
Attachments to KY seem to stretch far and wide, so I am glad you can relate. Thanks for reading about Aunt Bett, I wonder what she'd think to know her name reached all the way to California.

Goldenseal is great, as long as it is used as a surface remedy ointment, as are a lot of other herbs. Good things to know about, so I am forever grateful to her and to my Grandmother Ninna.

Wonder if our grandchildren will look back and remember good ol' days? I sure hope so.

Have a great day, Kat, thank you for writing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Goldenseal and the Boxed Pie Supper Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
goldenseal daphnep 7 Aug 25, 2009 2:08 PM
I sure enjoyed this! Bookerc1 3 Aug 24, 2009 4:11 PM
Good phicks 7 Sep 3, 2009 12:35 AM
Does Bring Back Memories.... zhinusmom 1 Aug 19, 2009 4:03 AM
reminds me of... Dollykat 5 Aug 25, 2009 5:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America