Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: In Such A Pickle! Pickle History and How to Make Pickles: Fascinating history of pickles

Communities > Forums > Article: In Such A Pickle! Pickle History and How to Make Pickles
bookmark
Forum: Article: In Such A Pickle! Pickle History and How to Make PicklesReplies: 10, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6960902

Enjoyed the quote from Thomas Jefferson and loved the story of Amerigo Vespucci's pickle making. He was a really innovative guy.
Pickles that preserve veggies but that are consumed soon after they are made are a common side dish with Korean and Japanese meals. They are generally not canned and are quite delicious. This is a way of preserving cucumbers, radishes, scallions, napa cabbage and many other garden goodies that don't keep all that well.
I am going to make an effort to make such pickles after my weekly visits to the farmers' markets.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6960947

Once you start making pickles, you'll never go back to 'store bought' the variety and flavor are without question superior.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6961059

I am sure of that. I made pickles years ago and loved them. My best was Corn Relish. Yum!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6961065

Yup, love corn relish...and any type of pickles with a bit of corn involved.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6961130

The fresh corn season is so short, that this is an ideal way to lengthen the time we can enjoy it. Same with the other veggies we pickle. The think that is so nice about pickling is that it needs no freezer room and is something that is hard to render poisonous if one makes a mistake in canning. The worst thing that can happen is that the pickles won't taste good -- thanks to its acid nature.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6962247

Paja, any chance you could share your corn relish recipe? And what do you serve it with? I've never had that... and we get the awesome Olathe corn here.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6962274

A version of corn relish can be made with the basic pickle recipe that I posted in the article...just use corn instead of all of the other stuff, although some nice red pepper strips would be visually nice. Actually, onions, red (sweet) pepper and corn ...with the basic recipe would make excellent corn relish...although, I'm hoping tor paja's recipe as well.

Corn relish can be used as a side for meats such as pork. We, here in the South use similar concoctions as a side for cooked dried bean dishes. Black Eye peas, corn relish, cornbread along with a pile of fried okra and maybe a bite or two of a pork chop...ummmm!
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #6963455

Yum! Thanks, Melody!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6977210

Sorry it took me so long to get around to posting the recipe, but I had to find the book and copy it. Here it is at last. Betty

Corn Relish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 quarts whole kernal corn ( Use 16 to 20 medium
ears of fresh corn or 6 - 10 ounces of
frozen corn)
1 pint sweet red peppers, diced ( 3 large)
1 pint green peppers, diced
1 quart (one large bunch) celery, chopped
8 to 10 small onions, chopped or sliced
3/4 cup honey
1 quart vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons celery seeds
2 tablespoons powdered mustard
1 teaspoon turmeric

For fresh corn:
Remove husks and silks. Cook ears of corn in boiling water for 5 minutes, remove and plunge into cold water. Drain and cut from cob.
For frozen corn: Defrost overnight in refrigerator or for 2 or 3 hours at room temperature. Put containers in front of fan to hasten defrosting.
Combine green peppers and red peppers, celery, onions, honey, vinegar, salt and celery seed. Cover pan until mixture starts to boil, then simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix dry mustard and turmeric and blend with liquid from above mixture; add with corn to mixture. Heat to boiling and simmer for 5 minutes , stirring occasionally.
Bring to boil, pack loosely while boiling into clean, hot pint jars. Allow 1/2 inch headspace. Seal.
Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Remove jars and complete seals if necessary.
Makes 13 pints.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : My experience is that it needs 1 1/2 of the recipes for the liquid above in order to cover the corn.

Adapted from "Stocking Up" by the staff of Organic Gardening and Farming. Carol Stoner(ed.) Emmaus,Pa: Rodale Press, Inc, 1973
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6981070

Thank you Betty!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6981078

Hope you enjoy it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: In Such A Pickle! Pickle History and How to Make Pickles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
OK, I'm hungry now! KyWoods 9 Aug 18, 2009 2:29 PM
Pickles GardeningGramma 0 Sep 25, 2007 3:34 PM
This just popped up in FunRandom Article Bookerc1 1 Aug 8, 2009 1:04 PM
Is there a way to make pickles w/o salt? bolino 6 Aug 18, 2009 8:22 PM
pickles in a barrel? DiggerDee 2 Aug 18, 2009 10:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America