-
AuthorContent
mcgper1
(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6962341

I am looking to make a hypertufa strawberry pot to plant my Sempervivums in. I couldn't find one locally that had cups large enough to allow them to grow. I want to make one with large cups but can't figure out the process so I can remove the mold from the pot. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank you
Warren
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #8272346

Did you ever figure this out Warren? I've been trying to imagine how to do this too. I picture a pile of sand with pots stuck into it. Pour the cement or hypertufa over it.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8342947

balls for the cups. pop them when your done
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8344765

Susan, I'm trying to picture this. Have you seen it done?
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8344865

Not on a strawberry pot but on the large concrete balls that people are making. See some of the other concrete threads on DG.

You would have to connect the balls (to give you the pockets in the location you want them) to whatever you will be using for the inside mold.

Another option might be to use mesh to build the general shape of the pot and the plant pockets. There are some examples in DG were people are using it to make concrete chairs and vases.
greyma
Mukwonago, WI

February 2, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8345779

susanKC...you're idea is a good one. use metal lathe to form the pot you want, then cover it with cement, or hypertufa if you want.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

February 21, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9014960

SusanKC wrote:Not on a strawberry pot but on the large concrete balls that people are making. See some of the other concrete threads on DG.

You would have to connect the balls (to give you the pockets in the location you want them) to whatever you will be using for the inside mold.

Another option might be to use mesh to build the general shape of the pot and the plant pockets. There are some examples in DG were people are using it to make concrete chairs and vases.

What about incorporating tea cups from an op shop. Cut them down the middle - if you break a few on the way, it doesn't matter. If you make the hypertufa shape you want but have openings on it, then cement the half cups over the holes? I have seen the same thing done using a terracotta pot - but they usually mosaic the pot adding the half cups around it. I will try and find a photo.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America