Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Market Growers: Savanna Hybrid Mustard (Spinach Mustard)

Communities > Forums > Market Growers
bookmark
Forum: Market GrowersReplies: 11, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
VegLady
Woodville, TX

August 19, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6962731

This year we have switched from Florida Broadleaf mustard to Savanna Hybrid. I planted six rows in the middle of July just to see if it could take the heat as advertised. It did, with flying colors, and is now ready for harvest. We cooked-up a batch last night - better than the Florida. I harvested some this afternoon to go to market tomorrow, but I'm having a little trouble packing it.

I've always harvested the whole plant while still young and tender, washed them and stacked them vertically, and tightly, in a laundry basket. But that won't work with this variety. The leaf stems are very crisp, actually "brittle", and break with a mere touch . So, I obviously have to pull individual leaves and tie them in bunches like we used to do - but that won't work either because the stems break so easily. They break when I put the rubber band on.

What I finally did was break the stem off high, where the leaf starts, washed them and simpy tossed them in the baskets. I guess people will have to take the loose leaves by handfuls and put them in their bag. Trouble is, I can't get much in a basket - the leaves are also very crisp and I'm afraid I'll break them all up and ruin them if I pack them down tight in the basket.

It's great mustard and the crispiness is a virtue. I just need to find a system for handling it since my old one won't work with this. Any advice will be appreciated.

Jack

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Market Growers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sat., June 21 Markets CountryGardens 40 Oct 5, 2010 5:25 AM
Odor-free Bone Meal? Will wildlife still uproot plants? PlanterRik 8 Jun 24, 2009 2:31 PM
Question on growing food for sale (organic) hczone6 28 Oct 1, 2007 7:52 PM
water melons,cantaloupes CricketsGarden 8 Sep 1, 2007 8:39 PM
Backyard nursery TXSWETIE 183 Jul 2, 2007 9:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America