Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gladiolus : Crooked spears

Communities > Forums > Gladiolus
bookmark
Forum: Gladiolus Replies: 3, Views: 159
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
belledonna
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6962859

I have been staking up my flowers but apparently not enough. What causes the crooked spears, other than lack of staking? Some of them look rather unique in flower arrangements. But I assume they aren't supposed to turn at the end?

Thumbnail by belledonna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #6965393

not planting the bulbs deep enough may cause that. I don't lift my bulbs in zone9 so mine settle downwards and the following years no crooked stems. If you lift them, then you'll have to make a note of planting deeper next season.

ColumbiaViewGlads
Colville, WA

August 21, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6974003

The primary reason for stems crooking is high temperatures during the day the rate of transpirattion is greater that the ability for the roots to take up enough water. The result is the new tender spikes wilt or tip during the day. then when the night cools and the spike becomes rigid it begins upward grwwth. The result is a "designer" glad.

It's possible that our friend in Texas by planting deep has the corms in a moisture layer of soil and his spikes do not droop.

The depth to plant can vary with your soil conditons

Good Growing,
lowell
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #7046013

belledonna, that's a beautiful arrangement -- great colors -- and I love your wallpaper!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gladiolus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gladiolus planting CountryGardens 48 Jan 11, 2010 11:27 AM
The Glad show has begun! wallaby1 156 Mar 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Possible plant support coop - perhaps for Glads? 4paws 58 May 30, 2007 7:12 PM
Brent and Becky glads bbrookrd 17 Mar 25, 2007 12:22 PM
Photos of Glads in the house 4paws 23 Apr 14, 2007 12:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America