Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Handyman: cheap fun

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 21, Views: 292
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6962912

So, I had too much time on my hands today and took a tube from a roll or paper towels, wrapped it in foil and stuck it on a cheap tripod and put it in my yard. I added a couple of electronic gadets, including a dead phone, and watched lots of brake lights as cars drove up my street. This does nothing other than slow down cars. And it works like a dream. I plan on putting it out occasionally so people get used to thinking they might get popped by a speed trap but not get used to not getting popped.

(edited for syntax)

This message was edited Aug 19, 2009 10:36 AM

Thumbnail by MichaelZ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6964398

That is soooooooooooooooooooo cool!
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

August 19, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6964842

We have an old stop signal and have always joked about putting it out on our street with the red light on at all times and then laugh from inside when people stop, we have a remote control for it so we could make it turn green after a few minutes!
Great radar gun Michael!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

August 19, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6965352

Turn all the lights on and really confuse them, weegy. LOL

Around some neighborhoods I know, that "radar gun" would be stolen within an hour.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

August 19, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #6965375

That's a thought Bubba! Never thought of that!
Yeah, the radar gun would be gone within 5 minutes here!
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6965423

If that happened I wouldn't be out much. And imagine the thief's frustration when he or she discovered it was virtually worthless!

Reminds me of the story of the guy who didn't want to pay for garbage service and simply wrapped it up like a present and left it on his stoop.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

August 19, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6965440

How about the neighbor's that don't want to pay for trash service and then you catch them either late at night or early morning contributing to all the neighbor's trash cans!!! We have 2 like that. Really it's fine with me, just makes me smile.
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6965557

That reminds me of former neighbors (new age hippies) who would sneak around at night and take yard debris for their compost bins. Geeze, I would have gladly kept them supplied. (Not sure about Cucamonga, but here on the left coast of Oregon the county gives us bins to put yard debris in and collects it twice a month as part of our garbage service.) And when my recycling bin was stolen I just used my neighbor's with their permission until I was given a new one.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

August 19, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6965578

That reminds me of the old red-neck joke about the suitcase left out by the road, with the skunk inside.

Your imagination will supply all the details -- ROTFLMAO.
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6966259

Ohhhhhhh that is hilarious...hope it works in controlling speeders. In our old neighborhood there were some homeowners that stood in their yards with baseball bats to do the same thing.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6969668

I think I'll see if I can come up with something similar to slow down the idiots who drive so fast in front of our place. Had another bad accident there last week.
Clever Idea!
Thanks for sharing it!
WIB!
SW
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2009
10:01 PM

Post #6969785

Oh my gosh, that is fabulous! I am going to clip and paste your 'design' and send to friends. Assuming no patent on it yet????
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6969798

Oops, this has a copyright.
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6970017

You are welcome to use it as you like.

Z

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6971864

Put a flashing red light on it...
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6972701

Put on an old boy scout uniform. hold it and point out! I think this is an invention whose time has come!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6973355

He'd look very funny in his old boy scout uniform...
MichaelZ
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6973405

Hey, I looked funny in it when I was a boy scout. :-)
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6973438

Funny looking but projecting a real air of authority!
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #6993049

Was saving this one to show my DH.
Read the comments since my last post.
My DH says, we drove by some of them on a recent out of state trip, but they don't have 'em in CA yet. Then I read to DH what you made it of! ROTFLOL!
I hated my Girl Scout uniform. I had to wear a skirt, which doesn't make climbing trees easy, and looked funny on me too! ROTFLSM.
Thanks for the great idea, and the laughs.
WIB,
SW
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2009
5:07 AM

Post #6993110

Ok, we get MichaelZ, in his old BScout uniform, pointing the 'radar gun' in the direction of traffic & SW in her old G Scout uniform 'writing a ticket' to a speeding motorist, who is really a "plant".
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7023688

Seriously, we get too many accidents out there, several of which have been fatality accidents. Since, I'm usually a first responder and often there before the fire dept. I'm working to make the road safer for my friends and neighbors. People just drive too fast on this old rural road, which connects two freeways and one highway.
Besides, I'd be up in the tree aiming the radar gun at the speeding motorists. Forget the GS uniform, I could wear my old park uniform. Prefer levis and plain old tshirts, though. LOL! ; - )
I have called and reported unsafe drivers. The cops can only send them a letter, even with their license plate #.
Once, I caught a company car speeding, passing at unsafe speed over a double yellow line, and talking on his cell while doing so. I happened to get the name of the company and even though I didn't get the license #, since I was able to describe the time, and location, the owner of the company had no trouble identifying the driver. I don't go out of my way to make trouble, but that guy was an accident waiting to happen.
So anything that slows 'em down is all right by me!
WIB!
SW

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America