-
AuthorContent
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6964327

I just wanted to show everyone my stem cutting of an Echinacea plant that is developing roots after less than a week. I slit the stem in the middle and make two prongs. I guess about 1/2 inch is enough. I then put the rooting gel inside the two prongs and pressed them back together. If you don't do the slit in the stem, you won't get roots quick enough before the cutting dies.

This cutting was placed in an EZ-Clone machine and lighted 24/7. These roots just sprouted overnight. I saw the small bumps forming, but the roots are really coming quick!

I just had to share this because I have been trying to root stem cuttings of these and finally got it to work!

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
Click the image for an enlarged view.

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6964397

Here's a picture showing how large the cutting is. This is the first time I tried a stem this large. I'm going to try the same thing with a smaller cutting tonight.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6964912

Wow, that is really success!
Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6966384

Great info. do you mind if I share with a thread I am running?
Dave
Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6966387

Do you think maybe rudbeckia would respond the same way???
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6966442

I think Rudbeckia would work too. They are similar but it might be more difficult. You can share the info. I have been told by so many people that you can't root cuttings of these plants. I want everyone to know you can if you don't take no for an answer! I've been experimenting for 2-3 years with Echinacea propagation. I just knew if they could root these in tissue culture that there had to be another way to do the same thing.
Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6967024

You are so right about never giving up. I always tell everyone to try it as the only thing you are out is time and a bit of rooting hormone. I wonder if that might work on astilby. Another person is asking how to root it. I do a lot of seeds as well as cuttings. I have abot 500 cells of cuttings and about the same in seeds.
Are you doing any trades?
Dave
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6967073

I did trade seeds this spring. I've never traded plants. I might next spring. I get a lot of enjoyment out of propagating!

I take 1-2 cuttings of every new plant I buy in case the plant dies. Lol.
Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #6967175

Please let me know if I have anything you might want. I have been building my stock up. Between the seeds I buy and plants I get it does keep me busy.
I love propagation and do as much as I can I do get carried away. I just hope it all works out and not end up with an overgrown weed patch...lol
Dave
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #7017039

Here's an updated photo of my stem cutting. I think it's ready to be planted now. LOL.

Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #7019659

I would say yes it is time to plant.
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #7106136

A big 'congratulations' on your successful rooting experiment! Were you able to duplicate it with the smaller stem?

When you mentioned your rooting hormone, you referred to root gel. I want to try a gel rather than the powder that I currently use. It seems like a gel would adhere to a cutting much better than the powder. Is there one you recommend?

Mary
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #7106926

I use RooTech cloning gel and Clonex gel. Both are good. I also buy solutions of IBA and NAA when I want something stronger.

Echinaceas are very prone to rotting so I now add a fungicide to the water. It is called Physan 20.

My small cutting worked. I'll post a pic later tonight.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7107069

Here's a picture of an Echinacea "Firebird" cutting. I cut the bloom stalk off and rooted it. It's rooting very nicely!

Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #7107206

Great info...I like dip-n-gro as my rooting hormone. I know some plants require their own specifics so I think I would stick to your gel on the echi's
Dave
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #7108776

Thank you for the update and for the additional information on the rooting gels.

The little stem cutting looks fantasic. Your stick to'itness has paid off big time!

Mary

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #7109034

Thanks, Mary!

I took a cutting of Echinacea "Coral Reef" yesterday. If this one works, that will be 3 different plants in a row that rooted. I never thought I would get them to root. Everyone told me they can't be rooted this way! LOL.
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #7120386

echinaceamaniac,

I saw on another thread that you had purchased a plant of Asclepias Variegata red ring Milkweed. Since it is so difficult to find seed or plants of this variety, have you tried your method of propagation with a stem cutting from this plant?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this plant could be propagated by stem cuttings?

Mary
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7120464

That asclepias plant died down in July. It never bloomed or anything. It's not a very strong grower here. I'm hoping it'll come back from the roots next year, but I don't expect much. I was very disappointed in it. It could just be the location I planted it in, but I will wait for them to sell seeds of it next time.
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #7120732

well, fiddle, how I'd love to know if your clever method of propagation would work with this plant. We'll just have to try and get a plant growing and then give it a try.

Mary
Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7164961

Mary:
do you have the plant you want to propagte? if so why not try the method yourself? I try anything an everything. I like to read everyones attempts so I know what has een tried so I can skip the unsuccsessfull methods.
Just a thought
Dave
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #7167791

Dave,

I do have one little plant that I recently transplanted from a commercial land development but it's only put up one tiny stem since I transplanted it (this is the only green stem on it right now). I'm going to leave it alone as it appears this is a difficult plant to keep alive. I want to give it a good chance to settle in. As soon as I have confidence the plant is strong, I will take a cutting and try this method of propagation.

Mary
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7167813

Mary - If my plant comes back next year, I'll try a cutting too. I am going to keep looking for seeds of it as well. I keep getting conflicting info about it's requirements. Some say it can tolerate sun but then I also read it likes a shady location in the woods.

Clint
maureenpm00
Lindenhurst, NY

February 14, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7559005

Hi, enjoyed reading this thread, and i'm wondering if you had luck with the 3rd echinacia you tried?
Pls let me know, thanks
Amos55
Lake, MI

February 22, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7579441

I love this thread.

Such good ideas:-)

I have a girlfriend that I am sure will not mind letting me have a cutting or two and I am excited to try growing some.

I have been looking on seed sites looking for the seed for Echinacea plants. Are they hard to grow from seed? I thought they would be like the purple cone flowers self sowing several new babies.Am I way off?

Thanks

Amos
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2010
10:59 PM

Post #7592861

Have you tried to do the same thing with rooting powder?
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2010
9:59 PM

Post #7617757

WOW! I am glad I found this thread. For me this is earth-shaking news...well, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. But, really I think you have made garden history. All the books will have to be revised now:-)
Thanks for sticking to it. I love coneflowers.
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
11:27 PM

Post #7762322

echinaceamaniac
Did you propagate that third echinacea plant
enquiring minds want to know, lol

Pauletta
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
7:54 AM

Post #7766092

Pauletta,

The Coral Reef didn't work. It's not 100% but it is possible to do this.

Rooting Powder doesn't work with these. I've tried it and it has never worked. The only way I've ever rooted stem cuttings is in a bubbler or EZ-Clone with gels and liquids.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America