Photo by Melody

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: THE GPS 5 - The Glorified Potting Shed!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 137, Views: 551
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6964638

EEKS!!! I am declaring the GPS5 a total disaster area and it needs a royal clean up. Course then this time of year so do the gardens ... Oh where to start... Guess we will start this day like we do every day Pinky, and thats at the potting bench.. Whats there? Mine looks like Madame Woodsy was here.. MADAME, you are fired! OY!

Soz, whats on your potting bench guys?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6964719

On my chore list.. OY!

1) finish potting Dominic.
2) cut yucca pods
3) take out the garbage
4)water
5) get ride of bugs
6)take sunrose cuttings and make baskets...
7)start dead heading the tall garden phlox

Well, thats a full day. Run... limp limp, run... pant!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6967065

Dominic is done! YAY!

Got the garbage out and watered.. (hehehehe.. it also rained about 1 inch!)

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6967078

EEEEKS! I know where this is going... chicken feed!

Unbeleiveable the varocias appetite those guys have.. they have clobbered my maters.

HERE CHICKIES!!!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6968306

Well, that was some storm we had last night! This morning everything has put on a new shade of color.

I am sooo glad I got the tomato baskets watered BEFORE the storm hit. They were getting too dehydrated and by doing so that helped them hydrate and take the rain water even better! YAY! They are very lush looking this morning and no wind damages! I am really glad I put them in baskets! It has worked really well, although I think the yeild would be better on them in the ground, but hey, it was fun to try it!

I guess I best get those other chores done so I can start the next list.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6968320

Oops, forgot the pic!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #6969108

Oh, where did those darn hens go?

Here Fritz, will you be a good man and take this down to the hen house. Im heading up to the cafe..either 24 or Desperados.. have not decided which...

(Pointing to EWee worm on that thar table!)

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6970451

Ok, now I dont know if this a good pest or a bad pest...maybe Fritz can help...caterpillers... Ima guessing maybe monarchs! Wr have lots of milk weeds!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6972264

Well, they are not monarchs..

Well, we got the hoses re-arranged and so now they are all just about where we need them. Just get them out and before ya know it its winter and time to get them back in... OY!

Watered the GH, the tomato patch and the critters. No veggies today. All caught up for now. Gathered the eggs.

Stll harvesting the seed heads from the tall garden phlox.. There sure is a lot of that stuff. Hope to get a colony started in the back forty that I cn just let go seeditself and not have to clean the plants up in the fall. It will be a wildflower patch for sure. Grow it and mow it! YAY!

Maybe I will get to the sunroses too today..

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6973915

Well, the sunroses will have to wait. I have other matters of greater importance. Maybe tomorrow, but we are still not done with the phlox.

So ok, what are those caterpllars anyway?? I have no clue.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6983123

Ok, got the other matters taken care of. I got carried away and had to make a trip to my daylily guru! I spent a few hourshelping her picking daylily pods out of her magnificent field of some 2500 varieties of dayliles and admiring her boocoo bunches of other perenials! Wow! Her garden is something else!

Well any, got side lined off my chore list and acquired a huge number of seed pods from her. Check this out! I got two deep buffet server trays full of a huge variety of hopingly future pretty hybrids that is if I can get them to germinate!

My first step is to dry them out further. Daylilies are funny as you can finish most of them off drying up off the plant. I say most, because not all these pods here are going to produce me a fertile seed. I will be lucky actually to get a small portion of all of these, but still well worth the effort.

I also collected pods out of my field and so I had about 3 of these huge trays total to try to start new hybrids with!

Heres a tray! I will just set them some place in the GPS where I will not water them and let them dry out until they are brown and the seed falls from the pod or I can just crush the pod to open it up with the hull

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6983163

Here is a pod that has dried somewhat... now all those pods are not going to dry at the same time so its going to take a little bit to get them all.

Usually what I will do when I really have time is to harvest the seed and put them in paper bags marking each bag the name of the parent plant the pod came off of. Then just let them dry in the bags until ready to sow and then I can park the pots later as to which is what! This year I was not so lucky for time so all these pods if any of the seed will start and produce me a plant later, each and every plant will be a surpize.

Each seed of the daylily in one pod is an individual gene make up so each seed produces a new plant of a new hybrid variety! These pods all wouldbe what is called open pollinated seed as they were pollinated by insects and people walking by in her garden that may have carried a pollin from another daylily!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6983182

Here is an individual seed from a pod of a daylily.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6983195

Ok, these buffet trays full of seed are gettign set aside until later when dry enough to pot or direct sow. I have not decided which method I am going with yet on them!

Meanwhile, I am going to go pick some more phlox heads and will come back later with another way to start daylilies!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6983270

Another way I am starting new daylily plants is by profilerations. A proliferation is a fan that is actually growing off the side of a flower stem. I got lucky an dgot some 60 proliferations from my friend and hope to have some nice surprizes from them if I can get them growinf.

Here is a stem with a proliferation.

(Ignor that weedy seedy mess behind it.. thats just more of the end of summer disaster area we are working on cleaning up!)

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6983500

Gently cut the fan from the stem and dip it in root hormone. You can remove the brown leaves and any dirt from the proliferation before dipping it in the hormone.

Then put the hormone dipped proliferation into a starter pot.

Mine are going into flats with cell paks in them and will be bumped up to a larger pot later as they get root bound.

Water and set in a growing area.

You will want to water for several days running to keep them perky. Gradually backing off the water until they look like they are holding their own and you can start watering them less often.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #6983528

Well, heres a finsihed flat of proliferation starts... ready to water and put to a growing off area in the GPS5!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6983559

Off to the growing area...

Back to doing the tall garden phlox, but before I go, I am gonna give my chocolatemint a quick hair cut and get a flat of those cuttings started...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6983822

WHaaaalah! A flat of chocolatemint cuttings! Done same way as daylilies.. snip, dip, plant and water!

Ok, now back to harvesting tall garden phlox.. that will take me the rest of this day for sure so see you guys tomorrow!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6986540

This morning says sunny. So I watered everything. I am finally going to get to the baby sunrose cuttings. I am going to snip them, dip them and plant them right in the basket they will grow out in.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6990003

Well, I am still working on those tall garden phlox today. There is a lot of them!

So far though I watered containers again, pruned the petunia baskets, picked cherry tomatoes, took care of the critters. The cherry tomatoes sure are yummy! Could not resist eating most of them for breakfest! The petunia cuttings are in a tray drying out. Hopefully I will get some seed from them for next season

The sunroses went well. got a few more baskets off of them from their cuttings.

Awhile back when I started the GPS threads I started some burros tails. They finall, well, lets put it this way a few of them finally decided to start up and grow. They are extremely slow and most that I had for starts did whither away.

Here are some of the burros tails. I will have to get a container that will be permanant for them pretty soon. These are one plant that do not take kindly to being moved since they are so fragile and the tails fall off!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #6993599

Looks like rain.. I will beleive itwhen I see it and we need it BAD. Been needing it for a long while the crops for farmers are very sad in many parts.

I am having to water daily for the longest time.

Hope to do more garden phlox. Then I got the soldiago to hit next and sunflowers need deadheading.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6994461

Prunes some trees and vines. Not done there yet...End of summer cleanup is a massive undertaking here. I have huge piles of limbs everywhere! Was gonna haul them out but I ran out of fuel so will have to table that project.

I replaced some annuals that died with new plants from the GH. Picked some seed, took care of the critters. Harvested vegatables.

The tomato vines are starting to look bad. Guess they are nearing the end of their trail too. Cleanup there will soon have to be.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7003095

Well today we just lollygagged around the garden doing this and that. We started out touring around the beds to see what needed doing. We pulled some weeds and then cleaned up som of my prunings of some trees and shrubs from the day before.

Then we dead headed some of the flowers in the garden that the dead headings can get spread out to the prairie for some naturalization areas. Some of those were...columbine, the tall phlox, a what I think is a Joe Pie, some margarites. We also had some prairie plants that we heeled in. I also dead headed some daylily seed pods, milkweed, rudbeckia goldstrum and heliopsis.

Then we hit the sunflower patch and deadheaded a bunch of sunnies there. They are not quite ripe yet but most that we cut were rip enough to finish out drying on the head but cut from the plant.

We cleaned up some tomatoes that looked to have a blight and need to do some more tomorrow.

Then I watered some plants that needed it and we worked on a spent rockgarden hauling the border out.

We also photoed wildflowers.

And I started some sedum Matrona cuttings. Looks like the ones I struck earlier took.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #7011098

Well, finally, I got everything watered for today.

I acquired some sweet potato vines today and they were so long I decided to make cuttings. I just snipped them each at every two leaf interval leaving a stem to poke into the ground later after it roots. I am just going to put the cuttings in water and hope for the best and leave the mother plant in its pot to hold untim next season or as long as it still grows. Here is the purple vine... Its called Blackie! I am hoping to overwinter these for starts next season in the spring as I have never tried them. You can see there are some roots already on one of the stems of Blackie and there is new growth. The new growth appears green then tunrs purple later!

Yesterday we harvested some sunflowerer heads, picked some apples and grubbed potatoes. We also found a catalpa seedling growing in the potato patch so it was potted up and I need to find a spot for that beauty! We also dead headed some other flowers.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #7011142

I also got in a light green variety if sweet potato vine called Margrita.

It will make a great contrast plant in the planters with Blackie for next year. I have seen these two combined with coleas and grasses and pink petunia for a lovely planter combo!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #7011185

I have several large nursery cans full of sunflowerheads. I need to locate some good cardboard boxes to air dry them in. Its going to be hard to keep the vermine out while they dry down and before I can remove the seed from the heads as these are a tad green yet. If I keep them in the plastic cans and forget to turn the heads periodically, they can mold because the moisture holds in the plastic cans wehre teh cardboard it releases the dampness. And if I have plants that are still in here being watered I need to be extra carefull watering so as not to get the drydown stuff wet.

What is nice about the GH is that it is great for projects like drying down seeds or cut flowers. You just have to monitor anything drying so that the mice and some bugs dont get into it or that the cut flowers do not over dry.

I also have some flowerheads from deadheading that are in here and they are almost dry.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009

Post #7015738

Plucked some more apples and got some more sunnies headed off.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #7015893

Picked taters...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #7017102

Got a tray full of deadheads to try to get seeds from later. The last one I did dried up and needs storing.

I just cut all the heads and toss the ones that are looking like they will produce seed in a tray like this and let them dry and then next season will broad cast the seed droppings petals and all on flats with potting media in them for next season. When they get growing, I transplant them and whalah! Annuals!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #7017429

Had to broadcast the daylily pods to the garden bed. The darned things were getting soggy on me so they can dry on top of that bed and will put a little mulch on them tomorrow.

Yanked some more diseased tomatoe plants and pulled the healthy fruits to the kitchen basket. I had a bunch of rotten maters too and they are going to the compost. Now need to figure out what to plant in that bed. Hmmm maybe some coleus. It needs something there for fall.

Straightend the GH a tad... EEKS! the lil catalpa shocked... need to water that now and finish watering the rest of the containers later.

Whew, time for a break!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #7017910

Just got back from the cafe and finshed yanking all the tomatoes.. just need to cleanup isle 13 there, whoo what a mess.

I did start moving coleus plants to the old tomato patch for planting, but I have to run back to the cafe with the veggie haul.

OY, gotta scrub the veggies...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #7017979

Gotta start planting spring bulbs and the Stellas
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #7020917

Well this morning I finished cleaning off all the tomatoes and moved some more coleus from the GPS to the garden.

I spiffied up the GPS and brought some more stack tables in. I need to take the chicken door off. Its in my way and since there are no chickens in the GPS anymore... may as well.

Moved some pots around, did some weeding. Now its time for the cafe. I need a break!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #7024699

Arrrgh! Dern mice got in to my sunnies that were drying... had to clean that mess up this morning. So I am trying to bag them in large paper feed sacks. Hoping they will not rot now. Ugh.

Moved dome more coleus to the old tomatoe bed and cleaned off some old bedding there. Moved some haning baskets around and watered most of the containers Still need to do the spiders on the porch and the petunia baskets

Moved some more cans.

Pruned the cherry maters.

Moved some sacks of manure out of the GPS to take to the grapes and found my stakes for lining out. Need to paint those a brite orange so I can find them and need a new string on them.

Break time.

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #7035705

Been lurking
" Break time" ?
How many days ''Break"?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #7037782

LOL! Labor Day... no break to do PC logging! But Im back now!

Shame on you for just lurking, !! Ya gotta chime on in! SO do ya have a GPS?

I just unloaded 10 hanging baskets of baby sunrose from mine from cuttings I did a week ago. Now I got 21 of them hanging on my back porch! Never dreamed they would do so well and they seem to be flourishing in the cooler weather!

My sweet potatoe cuttings that I put in water rooted in less than five days. Need to plant them in a basket and the mother plants took on new growth in that short of time too! Awesoome. I am hoping so much to winter them so I have a lot for next years baskets!

Derned mice are eating my sunflower seeds. I done have enooough room to dry them.. gonna have to think of something.. Got any ideas?

I was at Leos today. Leo is a nursery store and that was my first time stopping. Lovely plants that Leo has. but I had to walk out empty handed. THAT WAS SOOOO BLOOMING HARD! ugh!
They had mums. ornamental kale, pansys, water plants their fall shrubs and trees, OMG, It was sooo hard to walk out. She had a lovely blue and green tarro... it was in a lovely clay pot... only thing that stopped me on that one was the weight. I would have had a tough time unloading it by myself today. Besides that.. no place in the house house to keep that lil "monster" for lack of space but man, it was gorgeous kicking self in butt now!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #7040298

Well, its that time of year to start bringing a few pots into the living quarters. They need to be free of bugs and snakes. I brought in a few small impatiens, a babysunrose basket, and thats it. Did I say snakes... why yes I did! YIPES! After finding a snake of sneaky ID, oh yeah.. NO SNAKES in the house PLEASE! Last thing I need is a danged copperhead or timberrattler wanna be chasing me around IN the living room! ANd Lord knows the battle around here with ants in this sandhill.

Moved some nursery cans to the hoop and sorted them. Got another wagon load of them to do.

Speaking of bugs.. gotta spray for hornets. We say a huge paperhornets nest in the woods and they keep going up by the eaves of the house. I bet they just love those metal roofs and any sturcture they can crawl into that they think they are safe and sound. And hey 6foot2, time to check the roof for leaks and patch it if need be!

I took some more cuttings of the coleaus's and begonias. And bumped up a few starts to larger pots and baskets this morning and so far, thats all I have had time to do other than take a few coleus starts our to the old tomato bed where I plan to plant them in the ground .

Yesterday I started a raised strawberry garden using an old tractor tire. Filled her with dirt from the good humus pile and hosed it till it was mush so it would settle into the tire. If I have time today, I will try to get some strawberry starts to plug into it! I need to move them from my other garden.

Time to water..

ANd anyone lurking here.. please ID this bandito if you can.. We dont know what it is! Im desperate to learn what it is... so far we have 2 votes saying its possibly a copperhead. ~thud~!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #7041047

Ok, the great strawberry tire wanna be...LOL! Well the mush mud settled...need to bring some strawberry starters here.. well maybe on second thought some thing else? Hmm, going to have to ponder this... I guess its just going to depend how many strawberry plants I can muster up to trans plant here.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #7041068

Found these two strawberry hanging baskets. Hmm well thats a start!

These strawberries are from my patch that beautygirl gave me about ten years ago! I started them this summer thinking I might try to winter them inside the house...on second thoughts.. I think they are going in the tire. I need to find some more. Gonna have ta look in the garden for roaming plants! I really do not think they are going to do well inside the livingroom. LOL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #7041084

YAY! Found some stray s to start! This one even has a berry forming!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #7041116

Gonna have to table the strawberry tire for tomorrow. Still need to water some more plants.

Heres one of the begonia and chocolate mint baskets I started this morning. Kinda looks Christmasy! LOL! It would look more like Christmas if it had allysums in it. Alas and sigh.. I dont have any starts of those. But this basket is going to winter in in the livingroom. It is very fragrant with just a few spears of that mint in there! In a few weeks it should be nice and full and a pretty house plant. Hmm I could add some white begonia cuttings in there to fill it more...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #7041153

Pink begonia cuttings in a basket

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #7041191

Boy, I am still hedging on cutting this gal! That vinca is now over 6 foot long. I need a taller place to hanger!

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7041227

Trying not to just lurk but by the time I finish reading all my watch threads seems no time to post.
Must be a good tine to move strawberries, that is what I did all morning in the much needed rain.
Yes I do have a potting shed. DH built it a few years ago so he could have his garage back.

Thumbnail by gardengus

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #7041239

Most of the potting work is done on the bench , that is not inside the shed.

Thumbnail by gardengus

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #7041248

BTW I do not like the look of the snake , I did not know copper heads lived this far North?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #7041257

Hey gus, thats lovely! Nice color! Im gonna move them strawberries tomorrow.. maybe. Right now I got a pile of stuff to hit in the office. Drat! But I will be back. So tell us about your shed!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #7041290

Me either on the snake! It definitely caused a load of laundry after seeing it. It was like really close to my foot and well.. that was too freaky for me! Me and snakes just dont get along! Funny part on that snake though...he came up dead the next day... I found him laying in the path going the other direction...He looks like he has belly bloat...probably ate something too big for its gut?

It did not have any rattles on the tail.. but then it was only 15 inches long so I speckulate its a baby. I know little about snakes.

So far this year I have seen about 6 varieties of snakes. Which is siz too many! Bull snakes, corn snakes, worm snakes, garter snakes, rat snakes and now this buzard bait of a snake... I sure wish I could find my snake chart.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #7041426

The shed is packed full of all sorts of gardening stuff.
Tools ,one of my many hats,a collection of tins.

Thumbnail by gardengus

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #7041435

Jars for seed saving ,pictures from old calenders

Thumbnail by gardengus

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #7042747

WOW! That is verrrry nice! Seems the harder I try to get organized the worse it gets...

Heres a spider plant I brought in today.

Your shed looks more like a lil garden shoppe!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #7042790

Another strawberry basket...

I take it you are into crafts too from the garden?

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #7042861

Here is what is left of the mother potatoe vines I just pruned the other day and they are getting new growth already.

I need to pot up the cuttings already. They were rooted in just water and are ready now!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2009
11:27 AM

Post #7043372

Got this ornamental grass from Smits and need to plant it

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #7043512

Drizzling this morning.. guess I am gonna just harvest afew seed pods of cleome, yank some cherry tomatoes of the vines and go in the house before the heavy rain comes.

Hope its not rainig later. I have a slew of things I need to get done.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #7044972

Well, did some of my other chores. I ran some errands and on the way home stopped at a florist. She had some great plants and gave me some sweet potatoe cuttings and some spppppider plant babies.

The sweet potato cuttings are a lighter maroon/yellowish color.

The neat thing on the spider plant was that the momma plant was green. Dark forest green and the babies were striped! So ok, the sweet potatoes are sittign in water now in the cafe so they will get roots to plant later and the lil spiders are already in pots.

Heres the new sweet taters...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #7046010

The new spiders...sorry the pic is a tad blurry..

And boy and duty am I kicking myself for not taking photos of a few of the plants she had that I really liked! There was a diclorus, a sweet pea, a lovely annual that had a long name that I cant remmember, but the flowers were gorgeous. It looked like a hummingbirds dream. Loaded with red tube flowers and very lush with a leaf that almost was like some gardenias. She had a huge tall purple leaved penstemon, some lovely hydranges, mums and asters and ...and ...and!

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #7046084

Wow, so what do you do with all your cuttings in the winter? Is your potting shed really a greenhouse?
As for the question about me doing crafts, you might say I am a'' wannabee'', I collect things like pine cones and gourds but never seem to find the time.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #7046190

Well, yes, my "potting shed" is a lilttle greenouse...see pic on the threads beginning! I use it as a storage shed in the winter mainly.

We have two hoop houses. One is about 100 foot long. It is not finished yet.. Right now its been a place where I had my nursery cans stock piled.

The other hoop is only about 25 feet long and was being used to raise chickens up until this year.. it needs plastic on it, but if you go back in the threads you will see I have hanging baskets on it and well next year I plan to do some wild things with growing veggies. Until we get the plastic on it, I am using it as a trellis of sorts! There is a small tool shed on one end.

I will be bringing in a lot of plants into my home this winter. Unless I farm some out! I like doing containers, but also have a pretty good size garden. Dayliles are our specialty, but I raise a good number of perennials that I get from every where! Been trading and such for years! Seems lately every place I go when I get to talking gardening with folks, they give me cuttings or seed and I end up going back to them with something from my garden too.

I just got the sweet potatoe vines and those are a first for me... kinda late to enjoy them for the summer, but I think those should be easy to winter. Same with the spider plants.

I am bringing some herbs into the house too along with some baby sunroses, begonias, impatiens and some others.

I did a lot of hanging baskets this year. There were some 40 cherry tomato baskets to which I will be dumping soon and getting them set up for nextyear.

My DH made me a couple of plantstands for in the home with three teirs of shelves and lights so quite a few outdoor plants will be going on those. After I fill them.. Goodness knows what will become of the left overs!

I like to do crafts. You will find a lot of interesting ideas here on this forum! Im starting wreaths soon. I make my own bases and will show stuff as I get going. The gang here has a lot of talent! There are so many easy things you can do...so if you need suggestions or help, everyone likes to do that too! Take a tour around!

I collect a lot of nature things too. Do dried florals and silks are my specialty, but I do live florals when I get the chance. I am a certified florist, but do things on a hobby base. I would love to have my own little shop. We used to run a retailnursery with the daylilies. Might get back into doing that later again, but for now its just a glorified hobby. No pressure other than to get after the weeds! Do my own thing.

Heres an earlier photo of my GPS back in spring...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #7047491

Well, this morning its sunny and nice out. I pruned cherry tomatoes and watered the container plants. Then I harvested the cherrymaters. Ran them and some taters to the kitchen.

I fertilized the mums with chicken doodoo tea.

Weeded the hanging baskets...amazing how weeds can sneak up high in a basket. Must be birds, or come in with the potting soil.

I took cuttings off the coleus, got them started, moved a few plants out of the greenhouse to the patio. Moved a couple more outdoor pots indoors to the living room.

Deadheaded the fouroclocks and need to do something about those sunnies. The mice are still getting into the seed in the GPS. Worked up some watermelon seed, cantalope, green pepper, a few sunflowers, liatris and heliopsis putting them in storage boxes.

I found an old poinsetta pot with a ring brace and transplanted my callas to that. Now when they increase, they will not flop over! YAY!

Later I have to rake up grass clippings.

I want to try to get the mums planted in the ground today...and yank some strawberry starters to put in that tire.

And oh yeah, pot up those sweet potato starters that rooted. Man, they rooted in less than a week in water! Amazing! Got enough for a nice thick haning basket on the margarita variety! Need to find a hanger to put on that pot.

Whew, thats enough for now. Time for a break. going back to the 24 to see if the gang unloaded that pile of boxes! hehehehe!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #7047559

Here is the new variety of sweet potato vine I got from Browns yesterday. It did not have a label, but they are kind of a neat maroonish gold so that and the Margarite and the Blackie should make for nice trio baskets later!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7047580

And here are the Margarita sweet potato vines i started about a week ago. Just about a week in water and look at them roots!

Now where did I put that hanger for that basket that they made?

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #7047688

Need to get another load of nursery cans...

and while I am at that I think I will take the holly hock seed and broadcast that on the bed I prepared yesterday.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #7048028

You might try pepper on your sunflower seeds. I use it to keep raccoons from my pots. And I know some bird seed mixtures add hot peppers to deter squirrels.
I buy cheep pepper at the dollar store.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #7048134

Dumped some cuttings that were not going to make it.

Deadheaded some marigolds and some coleus for seeds. Packed up sme dried deadheads and checked the grass clippings to see if they were dry enough for raking. Im making hay out of them!

Transplanted one of my Endless Summer Hydrangeas. Looks like the momma plant turned pink as its blossom wained from blue! Neato! Will have to put that to September in the garden.

I cut this wisteria about 2-3 weeks ago. The leaves have dried and its about time to make a wreath out of it while the woody part is still flexible. I use a chicken egg basket for a wreath mold and stick the end through the outside of the basket and wind it around. Then I tie the wreath so it holds with floral wire and remove from the basket!

I will show that later on a craft thread, but in the meantime, here is what the raw material looks like!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #7048182

Never tried pepper. That would even deter me! LOL! I have been putting the heads in paper feed sacks and dumping them every other day or so and repacking them...does several things.. shags the meece out, shatters the drying heads and checks for mold. Mold I am not too terribly concerned on, but the mice eating all my seed. Yeah.
I am about ready to resort to rat poison. You would think with all the snakes around here we would not have this many mice. and I reallly dont want teither of them in the GPS!

Speaking of peppers... shoot, my green bell pepper seed did not dry right. Gotta toss them. They got moldy and soggy. If it was just a little mold I would just dust them off and try them but these got yicky.

Going to check the loofa.. I think its bud has opened!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #7048347

Heres the link for Wreaths from scratch - 2009! You are all welcome to join me there!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037086/

Well, for now though I need ot get raking so see you tomorrow!
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #7048473

Later, heading out of town till Tuesday
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 11, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #7049565

Hey gus, you have a great day.. catch ya on the rebound.

Im calling it a day too. I had a 5 snake day.. 2 black garters and 3 worm snakes while I was raking and my BPs are through the roof with them.

Catch ya'll later too!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #7063540

Well we had a pleasant weekend. Spent some time in the woods and gathered grape vines.

Im still having a battle with drying my sunflowers. Dang the field mice... they are making a royal mess of all of them.

I knocked the sunflowers in the feild down. Dragged the pasture and the hayfield to knock the prairie squirrel mounds down.

Been slowly bringing outdoor plants in.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #7065174

started a thread called Wreaths From Scratch - 2009...

ya'll are welcome to join in and take a peak and also offer your ideas of how to!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037086/#new

Need to hop over there with my grape vine wreaths and get binding!

Now just where did I put the egg basket?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #7065258

Things on Tuesday to do list...

mulch coleas bed

water plant containers

check GPS for bump ups

Do bump ups

find hose to reach grapevine trellis

ammend the soild to plant grape vines

plant the new grapevines...
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2009
10:58 AM

Post #7066066

On my list today is water, just saw the weather and they said no rain in the forecast for the next week.
My DH watered the potted plants while I was gone but things will be too dry with a week of no water.
water garden
to coop for feed
A planning lunch
groceries
work this evening (more gardening)

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2009
11:22 AM

Post #7066106

Morning!! Hey gus, watcha feeding?

I just got up and its still dark out so I decided to go to the office for a little while before heading out.

We have critters here too, several horses, a donkey, dog, and a slew of wild life!

As soon as I got light out, I am motavating outside.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #7068018

The feed is for horses & goats
The horses are retired pasture pets ,both 31 this year
Goats just two,one pygmy one just cute.
Our house is also full 5 cats 1 dog 1 chinchilla.
at least that is the count today.:-)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #7068562

LOL! Well try 10 horses, one donkey, one blue dog, a DH for the domestic side and who knows what wild critters lurk elsewhere in this garden... it seems I have been infiltrated with snakes this year (yeck~~)...had two more today.. I wish they would leave and quit eating my frogs!

My oldest mare will be 30, the stallion is 20, a couple are 23, one is 14, one is 10, theres a 4 year old, 2 - 3 year olds and a pony that who the heck knows how old! I think I got everyone cept the dog and the DH! LOL, some kids never grow up! I should cut back on some horses...yano things are bad when ya can rattle of their ages, but when ya call them for supper, ummm whats its name??! LOL!

And hey you werks really swell!

Oh yeah, forgot the 13 hens...

used to have sheep and goats, cows... miss the cows...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #7068575

Well, got half my list done and a slew of things not on the list also done.

Planted a new ornamental grass, trimmed back the annuals,
made wreaths today, harvested some more seed.

tomorrow I need to get deadheading again.. Jeez, I have endless tall garden phlox and that dang golden rod to whaack!

and I best check on that darned sunflweor mess again.. OY!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #7068860

heres a few of our kids... um, the black mare is 23... her foal is 3...got to be the longest sucking baby around...the mare is a cow.. good for milk for orphans, trouble is, that aint no orphan... thats her baby by our stallion! The mare demands she suck...owell... weaning is out of the question.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #7070303

Well, enough horsing around.. back to the GPS... Did not seem to have the bump ups so check that of thelist for a day or two. Need Potting soil any way.

The coleus bed is mulched. Dang those snakes in the woodpile...man if I had not had my fair share of those reptiles!

Have to water. still short hoses. need to bring the one in from the lane to the grapevines so I can plant them already.

Need to roll up leach hoses for winter and store them.

Need to pack up some more trades.

Check the sunflower seeds too.

Thats pelnety to try to do today.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #7071092

Oh yea, get the last of the daylilies pods...(Done!)

Transplanted the new spiderplant to a basket.

Moved a few more plants to the house.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #7071098

I haven't even started making a space for houseplants. When is your first average frost?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #7071113

Around the 15th of October... sometimes earlier... this being an unually cool summer, I am going in earlier than I would normally.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #7074014

Well, I got up this AM at the crack of dawn and did chores. The air was crisp and I could see my breath.

Guess I am going to continue to keep bringing in a few plants at a time.

I picked cherry tomatoes. Got plenty to take to the food pantry to share. I noticed I had mater droppings all over the ground underneath my baskets as the plants are definitely waining. Will pick the green ones tomorrow.

I watered some trees and some planters. We desperately need some rain. The grass is crackling as I walk on it. The leaves of the poplars are just about done falling. They are the first to go. And I noticed a little sassafrass had turned a glorious red already. I have been finding the fuzzy caterpillers. I am betting it will be an early winter.

I had a few bump ups to do, moved some plants out of the GPS to the viranda and need to water in there and on the patios.

The chickens were generous today giving me pleny of eggs and a tub of green water for fertilizing my container plants!

I am going to try to plant that tire with the strawberries today and cut some more of the wildflowers that I am deadheading and take them out to the prairie where they can drop their seed back.

Looks like I will have a nice weathered day and a busy one!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #7085806

Well, we mowed and pruned. Other than that, got not much done.

And we got 2/10ths rain... well thats a start on the rain...

Got a couple new plants in.

I need to move some plants aroung. I saw a great herb pot planted with begonias so I think I just might do mine, It has chives in the top... so I think I will do just that and put the begonias in the other slips!

Wel, that will be project one for tomorrow.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #7086042

We were suppose to get rain , it did for all of 10 minutes not even enough to settle the dust in the pasture. We really could use the rain.
Did some more seed collecting,picked tomatoes and peppers again,repacked the car for tomorrows work.
I still have plants that need to be put in the ground ,just need to find the space.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #7086199

Hi Gus, Know what you mean about the rain. I dont think we got enough either. We have a great deficit in that department. People are laughing at me wanting 8 inches.. well I dont want it all at once, but a good steady, preferably at nite rain woudl suit me fine! Now thats asking! LOL!

Im trying to plan my day for tomorrow. Got a ton of stuff to do in the office.. which I would prefer to be outside.. so I am trying to burn the midnite oil and to see what I can get done for tonite.

I have to straighten the house in the morning. ugh, I hate housework!! LOL! Laundry, dishes and chase the sweeper. The dog gets off on the chasing the vacuum.

I best water the house plants... gads, I brought some in and have forgotten about doing them alread. Hope I have not lost any.

Well, we shall see what the weather brings.. I got 3 new dayliles to plant.. I acquired Wedding Band and Rosy Returns to the collection.

So Iam a thinking get them planted, do the begonias to the herb pot, fffinish that tire gared with the strawberries and move the hoses for the grapevines so I can get them planted. Do bump ups, deadhead, and clean up brush. Move stock around feed and water. ANd get a couple more swaps ready to mail. I am slowly but surely catchignup on what I promised to mail.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7086222

I saw your trade list ...know wonder you are busy..wow what a list.
I can only do one trade at a time or I will forget someone..and I have no room ..need more beds but no time.
As it is I will end up putting the last things in the veggi garden, and that is a no,no because in the spring I will not have enough space for the veggies.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #7089946

Well, we got another 2/20ths. Just enough to make the grass hay I was putting up a mess until tomorrow. Luckily I only put up enough for the a day ot twos woth of feed so none will be wasted.

Got part of the house clean. Did part of the stuff in the office...dang PC was being a pill today running too slow...

Watered the houseplants and did some bump ups in the greenhouse. Only brought in one spiderplant to the livingroom.

Got the strawberries partially planted in the tire garden. I put the trailing plantlettes that were hanging down from the two hanging baskets I had of them and poked the little babies in the ground while still attatched to the baskets and will let the baskets set there. Will have to prune them off of the baskets eventually as soon as they root better into the tire garden and then fill in the holes where I need more plants. I will probably mulch the tire with straw this winter to help protect the new starters. One of the hanging basket has three flowers and a berry in it! Mind you these are June bearing strawberries! LOL!

I got the begonias in the herb pot. Kindof an odd combo, chives in the top part and begonias in the rest, but what the hey! I needed to plug the holes with something!

Other than clean up yard debris that was my day.

Oh, I did halfway make a mental plan for my veggie garden for next year...gotta tweak the ideas.

Well, hope your day was good!

... the herb urn BEFORE...

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #7090059

Looks like a bad hair day.
Is bump ups like potting on?(a bigger pot)
I worked in a greenhouse once and we called filling an empty square in a cell pack ''fudging''.
I washed the dog ,cleaned the chinchilla's cage,cut down a willow tree, and laundry.
watched House a TV show , I almost never watch TV, but now I have to do my Bible study and off to bed.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7090135

Well, may God Bless you and keep you friend.

Yes, bump-ups are potting on to a bigger pot or pak.

Heres the bad hair day after the fact! LOL! Hope I can winter that "monstor" in the house. I have never tried doing that with begonias! I tried doing herbs in it and got it until one christmas before it up and croaked on me. Hope I can do better with the begonias. My home is not too terribly plant friendly due to lack of humidity. Or is that lack of wanna?

If our lil greenhouse was heated, I would go crazy and need to get the bigger house going in no time. That is I would if I could make it support itself. Cost of electric or LP is through the roof anymore and hobbying the plants is too costly.

That reminds me, I should do our dog. She's is a day or two past due! PU!

G'nite and catch you again!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2009
6:42 AM

Post #7094784

Well, this morning I deadheaded the 4clocks, the cleomes, the marigolds.

Finally got the grape vines planted and set the strawberry runners to grow off in the tire,. Will sever the runners in a couple days and get more starts from the garden to fill the tire.

We had just under an inch of rain so I did not have to water the outdoor containers, but watered the indoor ones and the GPS plants

I pruned the cherry tomatoes back and gathered their fruit.
moved a few more plants inside.

Need to go through the sunflower heads.. I suspect a mess in the bags.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #7095587

Well, did my usual deadheading this morning on the annuals. Moved some coleus to the viranda and brought some begonias out of the GPS.

Holy cow do I have a mess in there. The sunflowers all were rotten. I need to clean up the paperbags they were in and destroy what is left. The GPS was way too humid to dry the sunnies properly so I am at a good hiuge loss on the seeds I was hoping to save for next years planting. Well, the dirt from the grapevine project, the cherry tomater prunings and now the sunnies mush are going to the compost...

I pulled some more strawberry starts from the garden to put in the tire.

Watered containers that needed it and need to get some potting soil and pot up some margarites.

As soon as I get some soil, I am going to do some more cuttings.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2009
7:01 AM

Post #7098618

Well, for those of you waiting patiently on me for trades, I just sent out a group yesterday..

Thank you so much for your kindness and patience in our difficult time.
It has been tough to catch up but I am getting there. If you do not get yours this week, theres more going out soon!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #7099751

Ok, well, One thing at a time, one day at a time. Thats all we can do.

Had to do some more cuttings this morning and I cleaned up the last of the mess of the sunflowers. Boy that was a disaster! Some years you get it some years you dont. This year was not my year for the sunnies, however there will be a few.

Had to move some bump ups outside and pot up some more bumps.

Did the deadheads and moved the seed already dried to the craft room to put in envelops.

Watered the indoor containered plants.

Need to plant some daylilies...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #7102775

Brought a few more houseplants indoors. Watered them.

Dead headed the annuals.

Looks like rain again.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #7111398

well, I got in some new begonias...had to tease bigred with them so they are seen on a thread regarding begonias she started...

Go here!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/931852/

But ya'll come back too ok!?

If you do I will show ya my mums and pansys! LOL!
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #7112061

This is the only wax begonia I have this year.
I have never seen one with this type flowers before (an impulse buy )
I asked the name they just said pretty pink. so I call her Fluffy.
I think I will take her inside and see if she will winter over for me.

Thumbnail by gardengus

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #7112181

Well Fluffy is very lovely! I took cuttings of my newbs...hope to make more and also bring them indoors.

Just checked on them this morning. Seems the 50 degree windy rainy weather we got did not phase them a bit, but then they were in the GPS.

Going to check on my pansys... I took the mums to the cafe last night at 3 am...the wind about blew me out of bed through an open window! Like. man, I just got those and did not want them blown to smitherins!
C'mon down to the cafe 24 later and enjoy a cuppa there and some chatter! The gang there are prettying up the place! Bring a boquet in and set a spell!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028020/#new

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7112357

Sounds like you all have been quite the busy bees. Same for here lots to do to prepare for the upcoming frost.
What a beautiful garden shed you have bardengus and you have decorated it splendidly and in a way that it is so practical for all your needs.
Guess when I get home today I'll start finding spots to plant those tulip bulbs. Never made it to your house BB to get the pots so guess I will just have to do them in the ground as usual. I have some pots but either they are tiny and would hold only 1 bulb or huge and not practical to dig a huge trench.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 28, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #7113266

Well Candee that was a thought... I need to get planting my stellas and dafs again.. Every time I get ready, we got another chore in the way...like you said, so much to do before the frost.

Well... here is the first of the pansys I got yesterday... its really purlpe not the blue the pic is showing.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #7114428

What a beauty, blue or purple that is really pretty BB.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #7114756

Bewitching color anyway!

Heres some fall color... ugh.. minute blurr! LOL!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #7114881

White

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #7114916

white with a purple face!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #7115068

The royal one again!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2009

Post #7115094

group shot

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #7115118

Yellow, brown and purple

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #7115169

A firey yellow

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #7115199

Fire brick red with face

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7115319

Well, the pansys for planted into large pots with other plants like the gomphrena, peppers and the petunia pots to fill in their blacks from waining plants

This makes me cry! My vinca is nearly 6.5 feet long in this basket, but to bring it in I need to cut if back...Now how do we start the cuttings?

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #7115831

I would just cut off all the long trailers and let it grow back inside over winter, just my idea. I have to do the same with my vigna and it is running all over the island and I just pull it up and give it a complete haircut to the bone and then in it comes. Sad but must be done as I just don't have the space in our bedroom for what I have to bring in let alone any overgrowth.
Now those are some pretty faces on the pansies. My favorite is the Firey Yellow.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #7116070

I love that one too. Ok, I am gonna nip the vinca, but what can we do with the cuttings? Can they be rooted in water or is the dip it in rooting hormone method the best?

Hope someone can tell me today since I am thinking not to chance another night outside with it and gads I will have cuttings galore!

I need to go plant some coleus to the flower bed... Might be a last ditch effort on them to enjoy, but I need the pots to bring in some more begonias and they are in my clay pots and I have plenty of Kong in the house! My one plant stand in the living room is almost full on two teirs. I have to leave the lower teir empty of plants so the dog does not get into them. Need to clean off the other plant stand and start filling that one.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #7116666

You think you got space issues then we both need to go over here, check out Tropicman in Kansas!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1023514/

This message was edited Sep 29, 2009 1:58 PM
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #7117943

the variegated vinca comes back here if it is in the ground. I pull it out like weeds in the spring at one of my places.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7117974

hey gus you got a pic of it? I have not cut it.. I chickened out.. I think I need to bring it inside tonight.,. they are talking 40's
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #7117982

Vinca earlier this year , It would take over if I did not pull about 50% out every year.

Thumbnail by gardengus

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #7117992

I found when plant it in a pot and it touches the ground and roots it comes back.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
4:34 AM

Post #7118801

I keep hanging the thing higher and higher! Was curious how long I could get it 6 foot plus now...you have the same as I do. Im gonna cut it and bring it in. Was gonna today, but chickend out! I dont have a spot in the garden for it yet. If I kill it, when you prune yours keep me in mind!

Love that fence BTW!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #7118823

In one of my earlier GPS series I started burros tails.. well they finally started to grow. I transfered them to their permanent basket today!

Ima thinking the rooting hormone would work on the vinca...well, I guess I will try it. Tomorrow!

Day is done!

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #7119186

Instead of cutting it how about just gathering it and pinning it back into the pot.
I use to have a string of hearts houseplant I did that with, it would get too long so I just gathered it in the halfway point and pinned it back in the pot. You could use a landscape fabric pin.
I find they have all kinds of good uses. I hold in place new iris that way, and pin down branches if things I want to root.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #7119207

no room in the pot!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
12:13 PM

Post #7119235

Hmmm had I known I could have pinned then to another pot!
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
12:19 PM

Post #7119255

Then just braid it around the three hanger rods, it will be shorter,and more manageable.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #7119279

Its like hair! LOL! too bad my GPS is not heated.. I would plop it in there and be able to hang it! Well, yano, if it got this long since spring, it will do it again maybe, that is if I dont murder it first!

Well, I best get pruning. I also need to get those chives in that tire today and have to do so before it rains. Its looking like it will.

So whatcha doing?
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #7119293

Leaving for bible study as soon as my water heats for tea.Hopefully in the next two minutes or I will be late
Later:-)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #7119682

Well, you have a good study. There are a lot of prayers needed in this world. What book are you in anyway? Maybe I can along with you today!

I finished part of my pruning and I'm headed back to the cafe for a bite to eat and need to finish tending the herd here. Looks like the pens need cleaning and I hope to finish that before it rains.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #7119816

OMG I had no idea it was the same vinca as I have. BB, mine is huge and grows into everything in its path. I rue the day I planted it in the garden sometimes. I will surely post a photo. I notice that sections of mine root themselves much like english ivy. Just take a section of it, place it in a tray of soil and cover it with soil between a few of the leaves and it will root itself. be sure the cut end is also covered with soil and keep it moist.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #7119895

Well, I think what I am gonna do now is cut it in about 6 inch lengths and put several in a pot at a time. I will dip it in rooting hormone and see what comes. I have nothing to lose if I dont try it! I sure would notmind more hanging baskets of it for next year. Ima thinking todays the day! Got rain coming on tonite and it might get cooler.

I saw another vinca looking vine at a resturant. it has somewhat of a curly leave and the leaves are larger...dont know what it is, but been tempted to snitch a snip! LOL! Maybe if Fritz is working there, I will have to ask him! LOL!

Well, letsee, I have to pot up some wax begonias. Gonna put them in baskets and bring them in the house. I am sooo hoping the begonias will make it for next season to give me a jump on outdoor planters! Hope my newbies make it too before it gets to cold.

Need to move some hoses and roll some up for putting away.

So what are you up too?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7120099

Finished the hoses for today...

I got the hangers for the baskets.. now need to get after those begonias...have about 2 baskets to pot up.

Oops, have a couple more burros tails to finish off.

Then its off to the chicken coop...
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #7120274

I am back and freaking out just heard wide spread FROST on the radio. Do not know where my head has been, I have read your preparations and thought'' not me''
so much to do and so little time
Answer: a short study on David covers a couple books here and there.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #7121413

Thanks...

Hmm wide spread frost... well the hub said there was frost in Minnesota last night...but that is way north of here...

Going to check the weather channel!

hmmm no frost predicted that i can see...but that does not mean it could not happen.

Well, hope you are ok.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #7122263

was just scronging around and found this article.. 10 things to put in a fall garden...wished I had it about a month ago... its a P. Allen Smith

http://www.pallensmith.com/index.php?id=16611
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #7122311

I checked the accuweather on the net and it said 38 for a low so I only did the'' garage shuffle'' (thats what the guys call it in the fall when I make them help move everything to the garage then back out every day ) on the houseplants and covered a few precious things. Just got back from hauling a trailer of stuff to my sons school 5 hours down and back.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #7123009

Doncha jes luv fall! We gardeners run around going the sky is falling the sky is falling like a bunch of turkeys at a barn dance!! LOL!

I start dragging one pot in at a time mid September... usually take in my favs... then what comes comes! I figure by Christmas or January I end up chucking them out to the compost anyway and need to make room for starting seeds.

One day, we are gonna get the plastic on that small hoophouse we have and I am not gonna muss with a lot of this stuff in the livingroom anymore.

I miss my old farm house. I used to do this stuff in thhe crawlspace. I could water there, mess the floor and not worry until spring when I cleaned it out. IN this house.. OY! Gotta make like a florist every day.

The GPS turns into a storage shed by late October.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #7124317

Well, the sedum matrona is a wrap. Need to hustle that to the PO.

Then first chance I get, do a straightening up in the GPS.

So anyway Gus, looks like more rain here. Well if its raining it aint frosting! YAY!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #7126519

Well, looks like my buddy yardqueen started a thread called OVERWINTERING ANNUALS!

Its a great read!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/884389/

See you there, but ya'll come back too here ya hear!

Will be starting the GPS6 pronto! Im going to be working on the planting calender for next season when we get down the road...

If ya need me I willbe in the punkin patch...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #7149601

Well, here it tis! The GPS6 link!

Catch ya there!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1046430/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America