THE GPS 5 - The Glorified Potting Shed!

(Zone 5a)

EEKS!!! I am declaring the GPS5 a total disaster area and it needs a royal clean up. Course then this time of year so do the gardens ... Oh where to start... Guess we will start this day like we do every day Pinky, and thats at the potting bench.. Whats there? Mine looks like Madame Woodsy was here.. MADAME, you are fired! OY!

Soz, whats on your potting bench guys?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
(Zone 5a)

On my chore list.. OY!

1) finish potting Dominic.
2) cut yucca pods
3) take out the garbage
4)water
5) get ride of bugs
6)take sunrose cuttings and make baskets...
7)start dead heading the tall garden phlox

Well, thats a full day. Run... limp limp, run... pant!

(Zone 5a)

Dominic is done! YAY!

Got the garbage out and watered.. (hehehehe.. it also rained about 1 inch!)

(Zone 5a)

EEEEKS! I know where this is going... chicken feed!

Unbeleiveable the varocias appetite those guys have.. they have clobbered my maters.

HERE CHICKIES!!!

(Zone 5a)

Well, that was some storm we had last night! This morning everything has put on a new shade of color.

I am sooo glad I got the tomato baskets watered BEFORE the storm hit. They were getting too dehydrated and by doing so that helped them hydrate and take the rain water even better! YAY! They are very lush looking this morning and no wind damages! I am really glad I put them in baskets! It has worked really well, although I think the yeild would be better on them in the ground, but hey, it was fun to try it!

I guess I best get those other chores done so I can start the next list.

(Zone 5a)

Oops, forgot the pic!

(Zone 5a)

Oh, where did those darn hens go?

Here Fritz, will you be a good man and take this down to the hen house. Im heading up to the cafe..either 24 or Desperados.. have not decided which...

(Pointing to EWee worm on that thar table!)

(Zone 5a)

Ok, now I dont know if this a good pest or a bad pest.....maybe Fritz can help....caterpillers... Ima guessing maybe monarchs! Wr have lots of milk weeds!

(Zone 5a)

Well, they are not monarchs..

Well, we got the hoses re-arranged and so now they are all just about where we need them. Just get them out and before ya know it its winter and time to get them back in... OY!

Watered the GH, the tomato patch and the critters. No veggies today. All caught up for now. Gathered the eggs.

Stll harvesting the seed heads from the tall garden phlox.. There sure is a lot of that stuff. Hope to get a colony started in the back forty that I cn just let go seeditself and not have to clean the plants up in the fall. It will be a wildflower patch for sure. Grow it and mow it! YAY!

Maybe I will get to the sunroses too today..

(Zone 5a)

Well, the sunroses will have to wait. I have other matters of greater importance. Maybe tomorrow, but we are still not done with the phlox.

So ok, what are those caterpllars anyway?? I have no clue.

(Zone 5a)

Ok, got the other matters taken care of. I got carried away and had to make a trip to my daylily guru! I spent a few hourshelping her picking daylily pods out of her magnificent field of some 2500 varieties of dayliles and admiring her boocoo bunches of other perenials! Wow! Her garden is something else!

Well any, got side lined off my chore list and acquired a huge number of seed pods from her. Check this out! I got two deep buffet server trays full of a huge variety of hopingly future pretty hybrids that is if I can get them to germinate!

My first step is to dry them out further. Daylilies are funny as you can finish most of them off drying up off the plant. I say most, because not all these pods here are going to produce me a fertile seed. I will be lucky actually to get a small portion of all of these, but still well worth the effort.

I also collected pods out of my field and so I had about 3 of these huge trays total to try to start new hybrids with!

Heres a tray! I will just set them some place in the GPS where I will not water them and let them dry out until they are brown and the seed falls from the pod or I can just crush the pod to open it up with the hull

(Zone 5a)

Here is a pod that has dried somewhat... now all those pods are not going to dry at the same time so its going to take a little bit to get them all.

Usually what I will do when I really have time is to harvest the seed and put them in paper bags marking each bag the name of the parent plant the pod came off of. Then just let them dry in the bags until ready to sow and then I can park the pots later as to which is what! This year I was not so lucky for time so all these pods if any of the seed will start and produce me a plant later, each and every plant will be a surpize.

Each seed of the daylily in one pod is an individual gene make up so each seed produces a new plant of a new hybrid variety! These pods all wouldbe what is called open pollinated seed as they were pollinated by insects and people walking by in her garden that may have carried a pollin from another daylily!

(Zone 5a)

Here is an individual seed from a pod of a daylily.

(Zone 5a)

Ok, these buffet trays full of seed are gettign set aside until later when dry enough to pot or direct sow. I have not decided which method I am going with yet on them!

Meanwhile, I am going to go pick some more phlox heads and will come back later with another way to start daylilies!

(Zone 5a)

Another way I am starting new daylily plants is by profilerations. A proliferation is a fan that is actually growing off the side of a flower stem. I got lucky an dgot some 60 proliferations from my friend and hope to have some nice surprizes from them if I can get them growinf.

Here is a stem with a proliferation.

(Ignor that weedy seedy mess behind it.. thats just more of the end of summer disaster area we are working on cleaning up!)

(Zone 5a)

Gently cut the fan from the stem and dip it in root hormone. You can remove the brown leaves and any dirt from the proliferation before dipping it in the hormone.

Then put the hormone dipped proliferation into a starter pot.

Mine are going into flats with cell paks in them and will be bumped up to a larger pot later as they get root bound.

Water and set in a growing area.

You will want to water for several days running to keep them perky. Gradually backing off the water until they look like they are holding their own and you can start watering them less often.

(Zone 5a)

Well, heres a finsihed flat of proliferation starts... ready to water and put to a growing off area in the GPS5!

(Zone 5a)

Off to the growing area...

Back to doing the tall garden phlox, but before I go, I am gonna give my chocolatemint a quick hair cut and get a flat of those cuttings started....

(Zone 5a)

WHaaaalah! A flat of chocolatemint cuttings! Done same way as daylilies.. snip, dip, plant and water!

Ok, now back to harvesting tall garden phlox.. that will take me the rest of this day for sure so see you guys tomorrow!

(Zone 5a)

This morning says sunny. So I watered everything. I am finally going to get to the baby sunrose cuttings. I am going to snip them, dip them and plant them right in the basket they will grow out in.

(Zone 5a)

Well, I am still working on those tall garden phlox today. There is a lot of them!

So far though I watered containers again, pruned the petunia baskets, picked cherry tomatoes, took care of the critters. The cherry tomatoes sure are yummy! Could not resist eating most of them for breakfest! The petunia cuttings are in a tray drying out. Hopefully I will get some seed from them for next season

The sunroses went well. got a few more baskets off of them from their cuttings.

Awhile back when I started the GPS threads I started some burros tails. They finall, well, lets put it this way a few of them finally decided to start up and grow. They are extremely slow and most that I had for starts did whither away.

Here are some of the burros tails. I will have to get a container that will be permanant for them pretty soon. These are one plant that do not take kindly to being moved since they are so fragile and the tails fall off!

(Zone 5a)

Looks like rain.. I will beleive itwhen I see it and we need it BAD. Been needing it for a long while the crops for farmers are very sad in many parts.

I am having to water daily for the longest time.

Hope to do more garden phlox. Then I got the soldiago to hit next and sunflowers need deadheading.

(Zone 5a)

Prunes some trees and vines. Not done there yet...End of summer cleanup is a massive undertaking here. I have huge piles of limbs everywhere! Was gonna haul them out but I ran out of fuel so will have to table that project.

I replaced some annuals that died with new plants from the GH. Picked some seed, took care of the critters. Harvested vegatables.

The tomato vines are starting to look bad. Guess they are nearing the end of their trail too. Cleanup there will soon have to be.

(Zone 5a)

Well today we just lollygagged around the garden doing this and that. We started out touring around the beds to see what needed doing. We pulled some weeds and then cleaned up som of my prunings of some trees and shrubs from the day before.

Then we dead headed some of the flowers in the garden that the dead headings can get spread out to the prairie for some naturalization areas. Some of those were...columbine, the tall phlox, a what I think is a Joe Pie, some margarites. We also had some prairie plants that we heeled in. I also dead headed some daylily seed pods, milkweed, rudbeckia goldstrum and heliopsis.

Then we hit the sunflower patch and deadheaded a bunch of sunnies there. They are not quite ripe yet but most that we cut were rip enough to finish out drying on the head but cut from the plant.

We cleaned up some tomatoes that looked to have a blight and need to do some more tomorrow.

Then I watered some plants that needed it and we worked on a spent rockgarden hauling the border out.

We also photoed wildflowers.

And I started some sedum Matrona cuttings. Looks like the ones I struck earlier took.

(Zone 5a)

Well, finally, I got everything watered for today.

I acquired some sweet potato vines today and they were so long I decided to make cuttings. I just snipped them each at every two leaf interval leaving a stem to poke into the ground later after it roots. I am just going to put the cuttings in water and hope for the best and leave the mother plant in its pot to hold untim next season or as long as it still grows. Here is the purple vine... Its called Blackie! I am hoping to overwinter these for starts next season in the spring as I have never tried them. You can see there are some roots already on one of the stems of Blackie and there is new growth. The new growth appears green then tunrs purple later!

Yesterday we harvested some sunflowerer heads, picked some apples and grubbed potatoes. We also found a catalpa seedling growing in the potato patch so it was potted up and I need to find a spot for that beauty! We also dead headed some other flowers.

(Zone 5a)

I also got in a light green variety if sweet potato vine called Margrita.

It will make a great contrast plant in the planters with Blackie for next year. I have seen these two combined with coleas and grasses and pink petunia for a lovely planter combo!

(Zone 5a)

I have several large nursery cans full of sunflowerheads. I need to locate some good cardboard boxes to air dry them in. Its going to be hard to keep the vermine out while they dry down and before I can remove the seed from the heads as these are a tad green yet. If I keep them in the plastic cans and forget to turn the heads periodically, they can mold because the moisture holds in the plastic cans wehre teh cardboard it releases the dampness. And if I have plants that are still in here being watered I need to be extra carefull watering so as not to get the drydown stuff wet.

What is nice about the GH is that it is great for projects like drying down seeds or cut flowers. You just have to monitor anything drying so that the mice and some bugs dont get into it or that the cut flowers do not over dry.

I also have some flowerheads from deadheading that are in here and they are almost dry.

(Zone 5a)

Plucked some more apples and got some more sunnies headed off.

(Zone 5a)

Picked taters...

(Zone 5a)

Got a tray full of deadheads to try to get seeds from later. The last one I did dried up and needs storing.

I just cut all the heads and toss the ones that are looking like they will produce seed in a tray like this and let them dry and then next season will broad cast the seed droppings petals and all on flats with potting media in them for next season. When they get growing, I transplant them and whalah! Annuals!

(Zone 5a)

Had to broadcast the daylily pods to the garden bed. The darned things were getting soggy on me so they can dry on top of that bed and will put a little mulch on them tomorrow.

Yanked some more diseased tomatoe plants and pulled the healthy fruits to the kitchen basket. I had a bunch of rotten maters too and they are going to the compost. Now need to figure out what to plant in that bed. Hmmm maybe some coleus. It needs something there for fall.

Straightend the GH a tad... EEKS! the lil catalpa shocked... need to water that now and finish watering the rest of the containers later.

Whew, time for a break!

(Zone 5a)

Just got back from the cafe and finshed yanking all the tomatoes.. just need to cleanup isle 13 there, whoo what a mess.

I did start moving coleus plants to the old tomato patch for planting, but I have to run back to the cafe with the veggie haul.

OY, gotta scrub the veggies.....

(Zone 5a)

Gotta start planting spring bulbs and the Stellas

(Zone 5a)

Well this morning I finished cleaning off all the tomatoes and moved some more coleus from the GPS to the garden.

I spiffied up the GPS and brought some more stack tables in. I need to take the chicken door off. Its in my way and since there are no chickens in the GPS anymore... may as well.

Moved some pots around, did some weeding. Now its time for the cafe. I need a break!

(Zone 5a)

Arrrgh! Dern mice got in to my sunnies that were drying... had to clean that mess up this morning. So I am trying to bag them in large paper feed sacks. Hoping they will not rot now. Ugh.

Moved dome more coleus to the old tomatoe bed and cleaned off some old bedding there. Moved some haning baskets around and watered most of the containers Still need to do the spiders on the porch and the petunia baskets

Moved some more cans.

Pruned the cherry maters.

Moved some sacks of manure out of the GPS to take to the grapes and found my stakes for lining out. Need to paint those a brite orange so I can find them and need a new string on them.

Break time.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Been lurking
" Break time" ?
How many days ''Break"?

(Zone 5a)

LOL! Labor Day.... no break to do PC logging! But Im back now!

Shame on you for just lurking, !! Ya gotta chime on in! SO do ya have a GPS?

I just unloaded 10 hanging baskets of baby sunrose from mine from cuttings I did a week ago. Now I got 21 of them hanging on my back porch! Never dreamed they would do so well and they seem to be flourishing in the cooler weather!

My sweet potatoe cuttings that I put in water rooted in less than five days. Need to plant them in a basket and the mother plants took on new growth in that short of time too! Awesoome. I am hoping so much to winter them so I have a lot for next years baskets!

Derned mice are eating my sunflower seeds. I done have enooough room to dry them.. gonna have to think of something.. Got any ideas?

I was at Leos today. Leo is a nursery store and that was my first time stopping. Lovely plants that Leo has. but I had to walk out empty handed. THAT WAS SOOOO BLOOMING HARD! ugh!
They had mums. ornamental kale, pansys, water plants their fall shrubs and trees, OMG, It was sooo hard to walk out. She had a lovely blue and green tarro... it was in a lovely clay pot... only thing that stopped me on that one was the weight. I would have had a tough time unloading it by myself today. Besides that.. no place in the house house to keep that lil "monster" for lack of space but man, it was gorgeous kicking self in butt now!

(Zone 5a)

Well, its that time of year to start bringing a few pots into the living quarters. They need to be free of bugs and snakes. I brought in a few small impatiens, a babysunrose basket, and thats it. Did I say snakes... why yes I did! YIPES! After finding a snake of sneaky ID, oh yeah.. NO SNAKES in the house PLEASE! Last thing I need is a danged copperhead or timberrattler wanna be chasing me around IN the living room! ANd Lord knows the battle around here with ants in this sandhill.

Moved some nursery cans to the hoop and sorted them. Got another wagon load of them to do.

Speaking of bugs.. gotta spray for hornets. We say a huge paperhornets nest in the woods and they keep going up by the eaves of the house. I bet they just love those metal roofs and any sturcture they can crawl into that they think they are safe and sound. And hey 6foot2, time to check the roof for leaks and patch it if need be!

I took some more cuttings of the coleaus's and begonias. And bumped up a few starts to larger pots and baskets this morning and so far, thats all I have had time to do other than take a few coleus starts our to the old tomato bed where I plan to plant them in the ground .

Yesterday I started a raised strawberry garden using an old tractor tire. Filled her with dirt from the good humus pile and hosed it till it was mush so it would settle into the tire. If I have time today, I will try to get some strawberry starts to plug into it! I need to move them from my other garden.

Time to water..

ANd anyone lurking here.. please ID this bandito if you can.. We dont know what it is! Im desperate to learn what it is... so far we have 2 votes saying its possibly a copperhead. ~thud~!

(Zone 5a)

Ok, the great strawberry tire wanna be...LOL! Well the mush mud settled...need to bring some strawberry starters here.. well maybe on second thought some thing else? Hmm, going to have to ponder this... I guess its just going to depend how many strawberry plants I can muster up to trans plant here.

(Zone 5a)

Found these two strawberry hanging baskets. Hmm well thats a start!

These strawberries are from my patch that beautygirl gave me about ten years ago! I started them this summer thinking I might try to winter them inside the house....on second thoughts.. I think they are going in the tire. I need to find some more. Gonna have ta look in the garden for roaming plants! I really do not think they are going to do well inside the livingroom. LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.