Photo by Melody

Saving Seeds: Heliopsis "Bressingham Doubloon" - Where are the seeds?

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 18, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6964674

I can't find pics of the seeds on seed database or internet search. I've taken the dried flower head apart and wonder if the little hard pointy bits connecting the petals are the seeds. I can't find anything else that resembles seeds. Does anyone know?
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
6:00 AM

Post #6967471

These are pictures of the Heliopsis heliantoides, but most times seeds from the same family look a lot like each other
http://www.prairiemoon.com/images/D/Heliopsis_helianthoides_Early_Sunflower_seed.jpg

http://content4.eol.org/content/2009/04/21/02/12737_large.jpg

The seeds are inbetween the dried flowerhead. Sometimes only a few. It might be already fallen out. That is what happened me the first time. I waited too long and they were gone.

perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6968076

Thank you for the info, Jonna. I think you're right about the seeds being gone. I think I need to get some larger organza bags and bag the flower heads if I want to capture these seeds. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought all very small bags!
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6968744

Jonna, I found them!!!! You're right about just a few. I've found usually 2 or 3 per flower head in the ones I just harvested. Guess I'll have to stop dead-heading completely.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6969208

It makes me happy I could help you. As you know I harvest a lot of seeds and I had to find it out all myself.
Finding some kind of seeds took me 2 years to discover how I could harvest them.
The only thing I didn't find out until now is how the seeds of Tradescantia look like. I posted a question about that on this forum, but never got answer. Maybe they do not set seed, but I can hardly believe that.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6969243

I know that tradescantia sets seed, because they seed themselves far from the original plant in my yard. I collected some dead flower heads the other day. Looked very promising until I tried to find the seeds. I couldn't find them either. I just looked again more closely and think I found a few. They're dark gray and oblong. I'll try to take a picture and send it.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6969263

I'm looking forward to your picture. I will try to collect some dead flower heads tomorrow. It's 21.25 PM here and thunder is coming.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #6969280

Jonna, sorry the pics came out terrible, but here they are in case they help.

Thumbnail by perenniallyme
Click the image for an enlarged view.

perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6969281

The other one:

Thumbnail by perenniallyme
Click the image for an enlarged view.

perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6969291

If you still can't find them, and want better pictures, please let me know and I'll try again. The seed seems to be buried deep in the base of the flower head.
I really hope this helps, because you've helped me quite a lot and it would be nice if I could even help with one thing!
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6969319

You may have to pull apart the base with you fingernails to get the seed out. I've found some more seeds that way.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6971999

The pictures are clear enough. Still raining here, so have to look for the seeds later.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6972380

Well just let me know if you need any more pics. I think you'll find them. Let me know.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6976710

Still can't find the seeds, perhaps my plants are sterile. I have quite a lot experience in saving seeds, but really can't find anything in the flowerheads. Not if they are green, not if they turned brown, not if I use organza bags.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6976767

Maybe your bees prefer to pollinate something else? I collected a few more, but couldn't find any seeds in them either. Do yours not seed themselves elsewhere in your yard?
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6976822

My garden is full of (bumble)bees, so they might prefer other plants, haha.
I never found seedlings, so I suppose my plants are sterile. On the other hand, some other plants give no seedlings, but still give viable seeds. I will keep trying. I have two varieties, a purple and a pale pink one. At least I know now how the seeds look like.
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6977770

Jonna, I'd be happy to send you my seeds if you want to start some that you know will produce seed. I don't intend to plant them. I only collected them as part of a bid of seeds for newbies, and I lost the auction. I only have about 10 of them so far, but I can look for more. I think they're purple, but I'm not sure, as I collected them in the community garden down the street, and I know there were a few colors there including a bright almost magenta pink.
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6979844

Thanks for your offer, but although it are beautiful plants, I don't want to grow more.
But I think you must gather more if possible. It's hard to find seeds on the Internet, even if you want to buy them. It will give you a good opportunity to trade for other special seeds.

perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6979919

Jonna, I don't consider them special seeds, because they do reseed themselves here. In fact, someone recently removed a whole lot of spiderwort from the community garden and called it an invasive species. I wouldn't go so far as to call it that myself.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America