Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: only 2 I have

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 12, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6965149

These are the only ones I have, started last year, wintered inside, and have been out in their pots since spring, but I wanted to post pics so I have proof that I can actually keep them alive over the winter inside! LOL!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6965158

NOID on this one, but very pretty hot pink

Thumbnail by skellogg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #6965164

should know the name of this one, but can't remember, and can't remember where I wrote it down either, hahaha, but love the orange, esp. with the yellow trailing snaps

Thumbnail by skellogg

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 19, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6966082

I have given up on names for hybrid pelargoniums...there are hundreds.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6966296

No kidding! Wow, Dale, that looks really pretty! Is that with dusty miller? Looks great together! Wish my snaps would fill in like that! So pretty!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 20, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6966348

The grey plant is Helichrysum (Licorce plant). It is a great groundcover or spiller for a pot. I use in alot in my work. It is very popular here in FL.

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6966597

I really like that. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some here, or at least find some seed and start some for my pots. Your combination pots are really pretty. Love the way your plants harmonize so well. Nice Job!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 20, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6966705

I am not sure how well it would grow in your climate. I suspect it is not widely grown where winters last so long. It would have to shipped in or grown in a greenhouse.

I have lived in Zone 10 for the last 23 years, zone 3 summers are the same as a zone 10 winter.

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6966825

Yep, Dale, I bring in my pels for the winter and they live inside. How do you think the licorice plant would like it inside?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 20, 2009
8:56 AM

Post #6967572

I haven't had a 'house plant' in a long time.

I would guess that it would go into a long slow decline...it is very humid here (all year) and it grows well under those conditions. It is listed as an annual in the wholesale seed catalog where I get my seeds. It is perennial for me, but, we have no frost.

I did put it in one of my containers that didn't get changed this summer (usually I change container plants twice a year, May & Oct) and it's root system had filled the pots and it is 'choking' the other plants (in an under ground way).

I would not recommend trying it as a permanent companion to your Pel's.

Here is Lotus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37947/ it is grey leaved and less 'greedy'>

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6968030

Wow! That is huge! Never ceases to amaze me at all the different things you can grow that are just impossible for us northerners! I love zone pushing, but I'm afraid that I just can't push that hard! LOL! Will definately try some lotus though! Really cool looking, almost like a silver juniper or cedar type evergreen. Very pretty!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 21, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6973191

Lotus likes cooler weather, it should do well for you.

When do you start your containers? June? And how warm is your summer?

I always go with what the local nursery has or what I see growing around town. I take lots of digital photos so I won't have to try to remember the things I have seen that I like.

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

August 21, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #6973505

I start my containers after Mother's Day sometime. I check when the last frost date is and kind of go by that, but of course it depends on time, work, weather, and everything else. We only have 1 small local nursery, and not much on containers. Mostly special order, so have to catch her at the right time to see what she is doing! Of course, she does mostly annuals in them, so nothing ever comes back, but it makes for good repeat customers every year. We usually have July and August where it gets and fairly hot, around 95-100+, but this year we've only had a few days where it came close to hitting 100. It will be in the 90's for a day or 2, then back down to 70's and 80's. And lots more rain this year than normal as everything is still really green, if one can ever call weather conditions anywhere "normal". And of course, I never do the same thing in my containers from one year to the next it seems. This year everything was really late here and didn't do much until end of June. We are about 3 weeks behind where we normally are with growth, so hoping we don't have an early winter too! Had peonies blooming the 1st of July, and didn't get lilacs blooming til middle of June! Very late for us.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America