Country Fairs are Everywhere!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Okay, tis the season - Now is the chance to show off your country (county) farmer's fair to all DG'ers everywhere! We're looking for photos of animals, kids, funnel cakes, cotton candy, demolition derbies, rodeos, tractor pulls, exhibits, flowers, 4H stuff, rides, and everything else related to old fashioned farmer fairs. Just about anything goes (within reason), just hop in and join the fun, clowns included!! Farmer's fairs and expos are held worldwide so let us know where you're at!!

This at our Steuben County Fair in Bath NY

Al

This message was edited Aug 19, 2009 3:10 PM

Thumbnail by lycodad
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hey, Al, we went to the Chautauqua County Fair (the first time in 20 years or so), but didn't take any pictures. I did buy some Fowler's taffy, and we looked at rabbits, geese, chickens, beef cattle, dairy cattle, pigs (watched the 4H pig sale, saw the kids letting go of the animals they'd raised and trained, tears and relief running about dead even), goats, sheep, some horrible vegetables (really wet year), and MUD.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Kathy - you're not too far from me. Good to hear from ya!!

Keep 'em comin' folks.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Okay - So I just went to pig out...

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

That cow in the first picture is beautiful; what type is it?

Our county fairs are starting up, but I doubt I will have time to hit any this year between the first grand baby being due any day and me trying to buy a house, on top of my 12 hour night shifts. Maybe next year though :)

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I can't say as I really know the breed, could likely be a cross of some sort. He was in the beef steer sale area.

Al

Richmond, TX

The steer looks to me to be a Braford (sp) which is a cross between a Hereford and a Brahma. They are very hardy and therefore popular as commercial cattle.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Hmmm, shows what a novice I am. I thought that was a bag at the rear, not...well, you know...LOL! (slinks off in embarrassment)

He's still colored gorgeously though! Thanks for the possible breed info.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

He was, in fact, a steer ready for the 4H beef sale last Friday. It does kind of look like a bag in the back, but just showing the white color of his hind legs.

I'm a city boy, too, though I wasn't sure what breed he was either. Looked to me as a nice piece of beef in any case.

Al

Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS(Zone 9a)

Our county fair isn't until around the middle of Oct.. It's soooo nice being able to enjoy the nice fall weather at the fair.. Years ago when we lived in Iowa, we visited a couple of county fairs and it was so HOT.. OMG I mean burst into flames hot.. Everyone was trying to keep their animals cool with fans and even pans of ice in front of the fans.. We only visited 2 different years because we couldnt stand to bare the heat or see the animals so hot.. Not to mention all the people visiting the fair.. Which always reminded me of a saying my Great Aunt use to say, If He!! was any hotter she didn't want any part of it.. lol..

Okay so I didn't understand then or now why do people hold the fairs in the HOT summer month of August.. Why not move them to Sept?

Anyhow.. Love the county fair and every year can't wait to see the county barn with all the animals..

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Good to hear from you, let us know later on how your fair faired!!

Al

Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS(Zone 9a)

:-) Will do..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images