Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: What's That Bug? Sphex ichneumoneus: The Great Golden Digger Wasp: Great Golden Digger Wasp...

Communities > Forums > Article: What's That Bug? Sphex ichneumoneus: The Great Golden Digger Wasp
bookmark
Forum: Article: What's That Bug? Sphex ichneumoneus: The Great Golden Digger WaspReplies: 3, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kailani
Holden, MA

August 19, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6965965

I'm so glad I checked this wasp out! She looked a bit scary, but didn't bother us a bit. She dug holes between our patio blocks on our patio, and we'd just sit and watch her. Very interesting! I tried to take photos of her, but she's so fast it was hard. I did get some, but nothing as nice as the ones on your site! What a beautiful wasp!!!

I'm from Holden, Massachusetts...and don't know if they're common in this area or not, but they're welcome here anytime! :)

Thanks for all the helpful info!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6965999

Thank you for your kind words. She is a very mis-understood creature and I'm glad that the article helped you learn about her. She has quite a few 'cousins' that are different colors and different shapes, but they are all have similar habits. It is a wonderful Genus to observe.
gierachsfarm
West Bend, WI

August 24, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6983750

We saw this wasp for the first time today on our farm so of course I had to look online to see if I could find what it was. I found it intimidating at first, mostly by it's size! I'm glad I found more info on it and my children are happy to know we are going to leave it to it's business. I did get one photo, but it's very fast so this is the best of them. Thanks for the info!

Thumbnail by gierachsfarm
Click the image for an enlarged view.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #6983757

Happy to help. So many times folks reach for the bug spray before researching an unknown visitor.

I'm glad that you found us first.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What's That Bug? Sphex ichneumoneus: The Great Golden Digger Wasp Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting article. doccat5 5 Dec 24, 2008 7:53 PM
Reassured... unbalancedpj 1 Feb 24, 2008 7:43 PM
I was stung by one of these! djcodyblue 2 Mar 31, 2008 2:07 AM
Great Golden Digger Wasp kellysvixen 1 Aug 18, 2009 11:21 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America