Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Goldenseal and the Boxed Pie Supper: reminds me of...

Communities > Forums > Article: Goldenseal and the Boxed Pie Supper
bookmark
Forum: Article: Goldenseal and the Boxed Pie SupperReplies: 5, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

August 20, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6966436

Thanks for this informative article. I've heard of goldenseal, but I knew nothing about it. The boxed pie supper story reminded me a little of a similar scene in Coal Miner's Daughter, when "Loretty" had put salt instead of sugar into her pie.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6966456

You do know, don't you, that that movie was filmed on property that adjoins my brother's. Loretta grew up nearer the W. Va line. while I was nearer Virginia, to the south of that little point of the east side of KY. Of course she was older, and I never knew of her till many years later when she began performing.

Glad you found something to learn in the article. And also glad to hear from you again.
Thank you.
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

August 24, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6983849

Hi, Sharran. I knew at least part of it was filmed in KY. I was under the impression that the KY part was filmed in Johnson County. Is that right? My mother's father's family lived in an area called Barnett's Creek in Johnson County before they moved to Ohio sometime shortly after 1900. I think I mentioned to you some time ago that they were Caudills, a vast tribe in eastern KY, whose progenitor came from Scotland sometime around 1700. One of my Caudill ancestors married a Sarah Webb, who was supposedly herself descended from Mary Boone Webb, Daniel Boone's aunt. I don't know if that is true, however, nor do I know if Loretta is descended from the same Webbs. The movie certainly had a realistic look and ring to it in all ways. If you recall the movie, the moonshiner early in the film is a Dollarhide. The old Johnson County census records that are online list people with that last name.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6983919

Dolly, hello...
The part showing the house where she lived was filmed in Letcher County, in a little cabin that was on the property above my brother's home. It was a madhouse up that way when they were doing the filming.
Other parts were probably filmed in Johnson County, yes.

The Caudills are related to us, but here is another fun thing...my maiden name is Webb, my mother's maiden name was Adams. We have lots of Sarah Webbs in our ancestors, my great grandmother being one, and yes, one of them was descended from Mary Boone Webb. My mother's younger sister married a Caudill...

So...if we matched the lines and crossed the t's and dotted the i's, we might just connect.

Loretta probably could be connected as well. I have our geneaology, but have never tried to find any connection with her.
Funny, huh?
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

August 25, 2009
4:56 AM

Post #6985506

If you're descended from Mary Boone Webb, and I am, too, then we must be some kind of very distant cousins. My ancestress, Sarah Webb Caudill was the daughter of James or John Webb (one was her father, one was her grandfather and I can't recall which right now) and Letty Nelson, I believe. Does that name ring a bell?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #6985514

Yes, it rings many bells.
I'll get out my books tomorrow, I can trace the Adams/Webb group back to about 1400.
Will let you know.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Goldenseal and the Boxed Pie Supper Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good old Goldenseal the1pony 7 Aug 18, 2009 1:16 PM
goldenseal daphnep 7 Aug 25, 2009 2:08 PM
I sure enjoyed this! Bookerc1 3 Aug 24, 2009 4:11 PM
Good phicks 7 Sep 3, 2009 12:35 AM
Does Bring Back Memories.... zhinusmom 1 Aug 19, 2009 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America