-
AuthorContent
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6966583

Every poppy I tried from seed this season failed miserably. I can grow roses and clematis but poppies are getting the best of me. Even my tomatoes escaped the blight in NY. What is wrong with me? Will winter sewing work?

Even the poppies I got to grow from seed then planted out died. I really want poppies HELP!

gardenpom

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

August 20, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6966611

I have a similar problem...I LOVE Poppies, but they do not grow well here. I got a few to grow over the winter, but they did not last long.
gammy3
Columbia Station, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6993893

bookreader451--Hi...in 08 I planted my poppies in June and the weather was hot at times already...got not one poppy. Then someone told me poppies needed to go thru a cold spell to germinate and that she planted (surface sowed) them in Nov. (She is a Northener also)
Well I was sick in Nov. and Dec so finally got all bundled up in Jan. as they were forcasting a snow and I'd heard or read that that really gets them a boost. I want out and tried to scatter them in the center of the .bed...the wind was horifficand I didn't want to get pneumonia for the 3rd time...so I poured them in my hand and let the wind blow. ..
they went to one side of the plot...pic enclosed...but come bloom time almost 1/3 of the plot was covered with poppies. A neighbor came over and asked me what I was doing...looked like an opium patch.
So...anyhow..that's how I finally got some poppies.
On this poppy forum...go down the list till you come to a thread """ planting questions.""" .by gammy. .. a few New Yorkers responded there and you could probably D mail them for their input...Good luck! Helen

Thumbnail by gammy3
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6994290

So far winter sewing seems to be the way to go. I think I will try that but will they grow on mulched beds?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
9:41 AM

Post #7266231

If your talking about Oriental poppies ( perennials) they are hard for me to grow. Last spring I had some nice seedlings going but by June all were dead.
I have the best luck direct sowing annual poppies (somnifariums)
I have given up on OP's except for buying the plants.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America