Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HBJoe
Jetersville, VA

August 20, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6966753

This beautiful ever-bloomer is one of my favorites. As are many of our most colorful flowers, this one is also a native of Mexico and Central America. It is considered a perennial if you live in zone 9 and higher. You would be wise to bring your potted plant inside when temperatures dip below 60 degrees.

Clusters of fluorescent red -orange, tubular blooms constantly tease hummingbirds. Although this plant is not a xeric, it thrives in well drained soil. In it's native habitat, it receives water regularly. Water it every third day. Another delight is that when placed in a sunny spot in your home, you will be delighted with tropical blooms all winter. Since this is one of the plants found in the lush Central American tropics, you would expect hummingbirds to be well acquainted with it. Indeed they are. Placed outside in the spring, it doesn't take long for hummers to find those blooms quickly. Name this plant for me.

Thumbnail by HBJoe
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Ruth_Lucchesi
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6966946

Pentas lanceolata (If I'm right- I have this one too).

Ruth

This message was edited Aug 19, 2009 10:26 PM
Danita
Cobb County, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6966959

Bouvardia ternifolia?

Very pretty picture! :)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #6967921

A pure guess here on my part, but I can't resist. A cestrum?
nilly
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6968276

Oh do tell, do tell!
I want and NEED this plant!!!!
:)
peoniae
Malvern, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6969910

ixora?
Rama
HBJoe
Jetersville, VA

August 20, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6970018

Suppose I don't know the plant identity? What cha gona do now? Well, I won't be a total tease. My Georgia peach nailed it on the head. Bouvardia ternifoli is a magnificent tropical that is rapidly becoming a house brightening favorite above zone 9.

In the spring, I plant several Bouvardia outside at my home in Southern Va.(7b), but I bring this baby inside to the sun room when night temps dip below 60 degrees. My hummers love the pampering and they reciprocate by pampering me.

I hope everyone can see this beauty. Hang in there Baha. I will have something special for you shortly. You are on my prayer list.

Sunday evening, I hope to tease everyone with Hummingbird SUPER PLANT #7. As a xeric. it will give unbelievable performance when yards and other flowers are withering and turning brown or dying.
Ruth_Lucchesi
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6970231

I'm looking for a spot for this one and hunting it on the net..
anyone have this one to share (hint hint Joe)?
I'll be happy to send a SASE or SAS box for shipping cuttings/seeds etc .

Thank you Joe for such a fun...informative thread.

RUTH
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6970919

http://www.desertmuseum.org/programs/yecora_gallery-humplants-pine.php

Here is a very interesting cheat sheet that I really enjoy!!!!
Johanna
HBJoe
Jetersville, VA

August 24, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6981068

This Bouvardia is available from Logees (Ct.) and Plant Delights Nursery (NC). Now I am going to throw what some might perceive as a curve ball. I have also seen Bouvardia ternifolia thriving in some of the higher elevation (2,500 - 4,000 ft.)canyons of Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. For all I can tell, it appears to be the same plant as the one observed so frequently in Costa Rica and around Vera Cruz, Mexico. The main difference is that this plant is described by many plant journals as being native to our South-western states and it endures some very hot and arid climate. My thinking is that we may have two plants of the same genus and species, but a different sub-species. I am not a taxonomist, so if someone can help me out please go for it. Both plants can best be propagated by cuttings. the seeds are extremely tiny and difficult to handle. Apparently they are dispersed with ease by wind currents. My suggestion is to obtain healthy stock from either Logees or Olant Delights Nursery. Another possibility might be Diane's Seeds or Desert Survivors of Az. Plant Delights Nursery indicates that their Bouvardia t. can tolerate 7b winters. I live in 7b and every time I left plants out for the entire winter, they did not survive. Here is another shot of this delightful plant.

Thumbnail by HBJoe
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America