Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gingers: No ginger flowers yet?

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 15, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6966880

I was given butterfly ginger. It is in 2 lg pots. No blooms yet. what am I doing wrong or not doing. zone 7a/b(right on edge) so should I bring them into the basement for winter, house or what?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #6974941

You would probably do best to bring them in for the winter. This is the time of year for them to start blooming. How much sun do they get? Here is a link to the plant file info on them.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1297/

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6975328

Oh my goodness, I thought I had them in a good spot they get light shade till about 2-3pm then full sun. I bet that is the sun they need to not get , isn't it.
I'm gonna move the pot immediately and hope they revive. they are just looking kinda spindly. well leaved, but skinny.

Thanks lots, Moon!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6975646

You are very welcome BirdieBlue.
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6975678

does it sond like they will survive? Should I water them extra well since they sort of have sunstroke. Well no burnt leaves, just spindly looking. "Sun spindle" then, I guess ^_^

BB

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6975700

Birdie, do you fertilize them? Put them in a place where they get lots of morning sun, keep the soil just slightly moist to the touch and douse them with some miracle grow.
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6975707

Gotcha! Thanks!

i am shamed to admit to forgetting about fertalizer ;-(

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6975717

It is not as necessary when they are in the ground as they can draw from the soil, but in a pot they use up the nutrients and trace elements very quickly.
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6975817

OK!! Thank you, Thankyou, Thankyou. I hope I get to see a bloom or two. I think I am going to plant about half of what I have in the ground. y back deck gets morning sun and then depending on where around the deck, it is shaded by house or privacy fence anywhere from 12 - 3pm. Does that sound good? and when should I have them shaded by?
I hope I am not pestering you, but I do so want these to live. Up until this year I have been a woodland shade gardener. I'm here to tell you that it is lot's easier planning where to plant something when the sun isn't an issue.
I don't remember what you call them, but I think hat the very hardy flowering plants that can survive neglect and heat and drought are what I need l! LOL

^_^ BB ^_^

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6975857

My husband calls those plants plastic...grin, I call them weeds, LOL. You deck sounds like a fine place to put them. Just remember to mulch them heavily to protect them over the winter. They are listed as hardy to zone 7, so they should be quite happy. Just remember to keep them watered in the ground while they are getting established. They should have enough time to" get their grow on" before it gets cold. The rest of them, you can treat the same way, but bring in for winter, as the pot will not protect the roots over the winter.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #7154409

my ginger blooms in the full sun. The ones in partial shade blooms sometime but not every year. The leaves tend to wilt in the midsummer heat but a little water will perk them right up.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #7179071

Birdie,
so sorry.. somehow I missed this posting.
It was me that gave you the rhizomes. Like I've written you in dmail ..

"Hedychium Coronarium or White Butterfly ginger.
Some might take 3 years to bloom. You know the old saying..first year sleep, second year feed, third year, reap?
This is where our patience is tested.
They love to be fed, and once in a while, flood them. Just like the monsoon areas where they originate. "

Plant them in the ground next spring when you can. All my gingers are.

Thanks for your help Moon ^_^

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #7179147

My pleasure...everyone should have a white ginger bloom for them as they are beautiful and so fragrant...Moon
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #7179301

My gingers are still blooming but may be frost Sunday night. I think I'm going to have to drag some of my tropicals in.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #7179325

I hear ya Lili...I get everything ready, and try to wait til the very last minute before I start dragging it all in. I have discovered that almost everything I grow in pots can actually handle temps down to 40 degrees and even a little cooler, providing I keep the frost off of them. Even the orchids don't complain about the cooler weather...only thing about it is that I have to watch the local weather religiously for that frost warning...grin
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #7180012

I just hate it when we have a few cold nights and then warm temp after that...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America