12:01 PM

Post #6967811

What happened to our winter dreams?
The plans for deep bold color?
The lust for lusceous leaves?
Blooms galore?
If you have a plant and a nursery that didnt measure up,
Lets hear from you.
My dissapointment is with the variety more than the nursery.
This is Echinacia Summer Sky from a local nursery.
Its fine and subtle peach colored petals are wonderful for 3 days and when it starts to go out of bloom( which takes weeks) it fades to a washed out cream color, check the picture.
Not so the Purple cone flowers also in the picture.
They've been blooming for over a month and tho faded they still look good.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #6967931

Only the pink Echinacea has ever done well for me so I stopped wasting money by trying the light colored ones.

J & P never fails to disappoint me so I ditched a few of theirs but none of the tree roses that I do love but they do need constant attention - like a nursemaid standing by for their every whim.

The coleus all did fine and moving a pot to make a good color harmony is so much easier than moving plants within a pot.

Two lilies didn't perform at all but I tend to think it was the deer problem and not the company from whom I bought them though one of them was "deer proof".

Two types of lettuce (Park's Seed Co.) were wrong and very disappointing.

Broccoli and cabbages (Park's Seed Co.) were attacked by bugs. "Resistance" goes just so far.

Cauliflower (Park's Seed Co.) was so disappointing we couldn't even consider eating it.

Caladiums never did fill out so next year I'll buy different varieties because I love the colors more than the pale ones. Can't fault Bill for my poor choices.

A few Japanese irises died but they were from trades.

Since none of the dahlias are the heights they were quoted to be I'll assume the heavy rains followed by scorching heat had something to do with it.

The absolute worst plant was a beautiful New Guinea impatiens purchased locally. It would be happy living under a leaking faucet. I love the colors and it's beautiful in the container but a major pain to keep watered. On top of that it isn't even photogenic. You'd think I could at least get a decent photo of it but it's stubborn and won't show the true orange color.

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6967969

What is the verigated green edged plant to the left of the Imp.
I wont plant newguinies again. They fade if water hits the petals and the regular variety shedds all season.
I dont know what I'll put in containers next year.
Thats a winter problem.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6968009

After I bought that pretty variegated plant I found out it was HIGHLY invasive so I just put the pot in the container but didn't plant it within the arrangement. The name, as I bought it, is Artemisia 'Limelight' but here it is called 'Oriental Limelight'. Note all the extremely negative reviews!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/48861/
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6968053

Beautiful container, Pirl!

I haven't had anything disappointing this year, although I've pretty much just been buying irises. But I ordered two different caladiums in the co-op, and somehow got three varieties. The one I didn't order, I really like. I need to find out which one it is. It's a green with pink ribs. The caladiums I got from the co-op have done excellent. I got a small one and a large one, and I do like the large better, so next year I'm going with all large, and will put something shorter around the base. I'm not even going to try to keep them over winter.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6968061

Pirl !
I meant this one (green and red)
Hi Polly.

Thumbnail by ge1836

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6968065

Hi Jo Ann!
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6968078

Sounds like my blasted Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm). It came with the house and I've been trying to get rid of it for 25 years. I can't work at it for long because I hate the smell, which is so strong that it actually makes me feel faint. I also have to wear my gauntlet gloves when I work with it because it gives me contact dermatitis.

And now for something completely different... Aren't some common names perfectly dreadful? Mugwort? Who wants something called Mugwort in a garden? Artemisia is such a pretty name.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6968120

Mugwort is an ugly name. Jack and I both get a rash from dealing with asparagus ferns in the garden.

Hi, Polly! My caladiums are fine but my allowances for growth were greatly exaggerated. I'll take a photo when I face the heat in 5 minutes.

Jo Ann - that's a zonal geranium and if I kept the plant stick I'll report back with the name of it.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6968213

Glad everyone is finding plants that they have issues with.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6968245

Pirl, I got that very same NG impatiens and it died within 1 mo. I decided the echies from coops are a waste of money for me. however, I recently got two cells which I just stuck in perlite, not expecting them to live, and they're alive! I must have been overwatering.

I have the summer skie echie which I bought as reg. plants and they do well for me, they do fade but I don't mind that.

No other disappointments. On the contrary, I'm so glad more plants didn't die, given the above ave. heat we've experienced this summer
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6968350

I know what you mean. I'm in on a break after cleaning out part of the garage in between my short hops to the rose garden to keep up with tiny weeds and cut back irises, which should have been done a month ago. I'm dripping wet and the sprinkler is on in the courtyard for all the pots. I just might have to stand in front of that spray!

This message was edited Sep 6, 2009 1:46 PM
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6968375

That's what Jamie and Jenna love to do. They'll play under the sprinkler for hours.

My caladiums are packed in way too tight, if that's what you're referring to.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6968384

I was only disapointed in Gingerland.Verrrrry slow to emerge and leaves werent as large as I expected.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6968955

So what you want are the "Fancy" leaved caladium, Jo Ann.

Mine are too far apart, Polly. I went under the sprinkler twice and now I'm done with that awful hot job and I'm in for the day. It's way too hot out there. I really feel like a wimp.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 20, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6968989

My only disappointments were bare root roses, which just don't stay alive here if you plant them anytime other than Fall. I planted two this past Fall and they are beautiful. I got a shipment of six that was murdered by my sweet neighbor, so those were disappointing but understandable. But most disappointing were the shipments from Hortico and Edmond's this spring. All are dead, dead, dead! Never again. If a company won't ship my bareroots in Fall, then I just can't order from them anymore.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6969040

I thought Gingerland Caladiums were Fancy Leaf!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6969080

Gingerland, Florida Sweetheart, Miss Muffet and Red Frill are all strap leaved type.

Evey - I'd rather have fall shipping for roses and shrubs. J & P ships while our ground, zone 7, is still frozen solid.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 20, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6969127

LOL, this just goes to prove how "off" the zones are. I'm Zone 8b, just one number off from you, but we reach over 100 so quickly in spring (by May) that the plant can't get established well enough before the heat hits so hard.
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6974626

Hi, everyone,
My Euphorbia "Bonfire" wasn't all that great. It simply grew at glacial pace compared to everything I had around it, like yarrow and ornamental grass. Also, I've been trying for a couple of years to grow crocosmias and I have 4 now, but one suddenly went brown without warning and another that is about to bloom is showing browning. Other two had a fantastic flower show, though, so all was not lost.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 22, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #6974704

Well, FoxnFirefly, I'm glad that two of crocs had a lovely show. Do you have any idea what is affecting the other two? Could it be a soil-borne fungus from all the rain in your area this season? I know a lot of you guys up in the northeast aren't accustomed to dealing with all of this moisture, and you might not recognize what we could call a common phenom of quick onset soil-borne or airborne fungus. You might want to take a leaf from your browning plant to your local Ag Ext Service for testing, just to know for sure what you are dealing with. If it's in the soil and you don't treat, plants in the future can be affected as well when temps heat up.

Another disappointing plant for us this year has been our tomatoes. They STILL have not ripened. We have tiny little green lumps that just aren't getting any bigger. By now, we should be planting our fall seedlings, but the summer ones are still there, just taunting us with their tiny starts of what should have been gorgeous, juicy fruits by now. It's very frustrating! I don't know whether to give up and rip them out to plant the fall crop, or be patient and wait for these to ripen. =(
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
4:43 AM

Post #6974926

I planted tomatoes this year for the first time in a decade. It's great to go pluck them off the vine, but they are watery. I knew they would be. We had too much rain in April, May, June and July. They still taste good though and I don't have to buy the grocerystore tomatoes. Evey, I think you should wait for fruition, you have month of growing time left.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6975229

I had some crocosmia that just never grew and another red one that did quite well.

Evey, there is a method of ripping out tomato plants to scare the wits out of them and then the remaining tomatoes are supposed to ripen. Haven't had to try that one for myself.

We're enjoying our tomatoes but we don't have as many as usual. The 'Sweet 100' plants aren't producing as much as usual but each one is soooooo good.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2009
11:29 AM

Post #6975249

Morning Pirl
Crocosmias are fussy. I have not seen the blooms on any color but Reds,must be the hardier of the group.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2009
11:30 AM

Post #6975250

Park's wax begonia 'BIG' was a BIG disappointment for me. WB's are perennial here and I thought these guys would look great mixed in between other plants. The seeds I bought were supposed to produce plants with bronze leaves and deep rose flowers and the plants were supposed to be huge, hence the name. What I got out of that packet of seeds was 3 little breen leafed plants with red flowers and after months of growing they are no larger than a regular wax begonia you would find in a cell pack. Parks has promised to refund my $.

An overabundance of rain and hungry deer wiped out plenty of other plants including some old favorites.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #6975308

Deer everywhere.I had more damage this year than ever before.
You would think with rain making bigger weeds the deer would be satisfied without garden raids.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6975312

Exactly!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #6975316

Us too, but around here their low lying habitat has been flooded since June and I suspect that is why they have invaded the gardens to the degree they have.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6975411

I have another disapointment.
The Red Husker Penstemon is no longer red.
My sisters turned green the second year and is green this 3rd season also.
Bummer
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6975504

I gave mine away years ago: same disappointment.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6975535

I've had some watery tomatoes, too Louise. First time ever. And they seem to get rotten quicker than the others. Suprisingly my Cherokee Purple are not watery and the leaves are still great looking on them. My Santa and Sweet Millions are doing really well. I have them in those self watering pots, and they're huge.

I have never had luck with penstemon.
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2009
4:28 AM

Post #7046529

Blissful--I blame the soggy soil on my browned crocosmias. They go belly-up when we have those gully-washers. I had put all of the corms in pots, but the soil in two pots is part clay. So I know they needed some coarse organic matter to loosen up. I take my chances anyway just to see how much they tolerate.

I started my tomatoes from seed and had 12 Roma plants. They got a great start, then the monsoon season from May to August. They didn't start bearing fruit till early August, and the fruits are small and lumpy, but nonetheless usable. There just want' enough sunny days this year.

Sorry to hear about everyone else's crummy tomatoes. 2009 will go down in the almanacs as a bum-rap garden year.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
8:50 AM

Post #7046731

Ours are doing OK if we pick toms. before they go black at the tip
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2009
10:12 AM

Post #7046786

Our cucumbers are doing much too well. Neighbors run and hide, lock the doors and draw the blinds when they see my husband approaching the house with bags of them!

The tomatoes are 75/25. Some he shouldn't bother bringing inside because I just throw them out. The others are very good. Sweet 100's are, as always, heavenly, but not as many as usual.

The ants this year are awful!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
10:14 AM

Post #7046789

They seem to be everywhere here too.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2009
10:37 AM

Post #7046822

Little did I ever think I'd be spraying down counter tops with Raid but I have no choice.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
10:42 AM

Post #7046829

gaaaaack
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #7046997

I sprayed the perimiter of the house with Home Defense, and haven't had another one. We were getting some of the really large black ones in. I don't mind the teeny tiny ones as much, but those big ones, ick.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #7047063

We only have the very tiny ones but many at a time.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #7047230

Those big ones arent carpenter ants are they?
They love it where there is moisture, like where the downspout leaked at the side of DD 's house. They ate thru into the dinningroom
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #7047237

No, they are a different kind. I don't recall the name, but not carpenter ants.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #7062512

Can I join in? I absolutely detest helenium autumnale 'Lolipops'!!! They are nothing more than weeds growing rapidly amuck in my flower bed. They have choked out my snapdragons and larkspurs that usually rebloom about ths time. The only "loli" I see is that they are "popping" out weeds faster than I can dig them out!!! Only one plant last year that bloomed this year ...and now has thousands of cockroached weed babies taking over!! It is gangly and unsightly ...if you are offered any seeds from this plant... don't reach out to accept them...immediately... hightail it from the enemy and fly (if your wings won't allow you to fly, then run) as fast as you can in the opposite direction! Sorry, if I offended any cockroaches...off to dig up the weeds.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #7062540

Are we to infer from your post that you are not a big fan of this plant?
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #7063030

Pirl~ LOL! ;0) no inference intended. " I DO NOT LIKE HELENIUM AUTUMNALE!"... Ok, I got that out of my system. I will go back out in a little while and dig up the rest of the cockroached weeds!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #7063237

WOWWWW Thats passion
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7063484

Now I'll have to go check to see if mine are reseeding.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #7063861

Pirl~ I hope you have well-behaved heleniums, some of them are quite gorgeous, sadly mine are from the weedy side of town. I wouldn't even dare to give the seeds to someone I despised, ( true, there's not anyone I despise)... let alone ruin potential friendships by sharing these cockroaching weeds to any gardening comrade...

Ge~ I passionately dislike these cockroaching weeds masquerading as flowers!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #7063927

I believe it
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #7064084

Close your eyes if you ever spot Houttuynia and think it deserves a spot in your garden or you'll curse your eyes forever.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #7064170

LOL, amen to that Pirl! Talk about a thug...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #7064676

It scoffs at fire, laughs at Round Up and scissors are no match for it.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #7064792

Pirl~ you are so right and if your neighbor grows it... the houttuynia will jump the fence, laugh at you and then run rings around your flowers...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #7064919

I did Houttuynia to myself! Should smack myself in the head! Invasives really should require a big sign and a sworn statement of acceptance of the fact before paying for it.

After years of battling Aegopodium (Bishop's weed, Gout Weed, Goat Weed), I did manage to get rid of it but I killed good plants while doing it.

Should I really admit now that I also did Celandine to myself? What a scourge that one is!
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #7065075

OH NO...not celandine too! LOL! ;o)

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #7066037

I'm keeping notes on what NOT to buy
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #7066195

It took me an entire month but I did get rid of the ivy strangling plants and trees but it was inherited landscaping so I can't blame myself for that one.

Many people have major problems with Gooseneck Loosestrife but here it is well behaved and seldom wanders. When it does I cut it off, below ground, and it stays put for a long time before I have to do it again.
angele

September 15, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #7066615

I was most disappointed by Rudbeckia this year. I loved the color of "Cherry Brandy" in the catalogs but it didn't bloom the pretty cherry red shown it was brown. Yech, at least for my taste. Two other varieties, Chim Chiminee & Cappuccino, bloomed just like the color in the catalog but I learned that just because I like something on paper doesn't mean I will like it in my garden.
I also learned that if something is growing in my garden I have a hard time getting rid of it. LOL, no kidding, I feel like I am committing planticide! I've been looking for months for a place to put a bed for all the plants I'm not fond of.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #7066640

We all have a bed of "Thoughtless tosses"
Welcome to the club.
Sometimes they develope a beauty all their own over time.
HelenVT
Charlotte, VT

September 16, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #7069101

My garden had many disappointments. First many seeds like corn and peas rotted. I did get 13 corn plants and what little corn they produced was yummy. Due to cold and wet summer I've been fighting blight on my tomatoes without getting much fruit. However, on the happy side squash has taken over half of my garden and if we get a late frost I might get a good harvest. I LOVE pie made with squash instead of pumpkin because the squash is so much sweeter.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2009
7:52 AM

Post #7069519

From all I've heard in the past, on radio, from Arthur Schwartz, who used to be on WOR down here - canned pumpkin is squash and not pumpkin! Someday I'll read the label.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
8:40 AM

Post #7069543

just cant trust anybody these days.
Field pumpkins are mealy and fibrous anyway and dont make good eating, just decoration and holloween jack lanterns.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2009
8:44 AM

Post #7069546

When we did grow pumpkins, just for fun, the only part I loved was the seeds. Yummy but a lot of work.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
8:48 AM

Post #7069552

When I was a young bride I bought a field pumpkn and tried to make pie with it. UGGGH
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2009
8:55 AM

Post #7069557

We should have a thread on young bride recipes. I had a whole bowl of nice cherries picked and was ready to make a pie when the insurance agent saw it and said he was sure they were poisonous. He called home and found out he was right!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
9:25 AM

Post #7069574

thats funny but would have been tragic.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2009
9:46 AM

Post #7069587

...or not.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2009
10:45 AM

Post #7069633

Cheaper than a divorce.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2009
10:47 AM

Post #7069636

but the trial for murder is so mesy
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2009
10:50 AM

Post #7069639

It's not murder if you didn't know the cherries were poisonous. It's just an unfortunate (fortunate?) accident.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #7069803

I truly was thinking of the expense of the divorce.
angele

September 16, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #7070227

funerals cost about the same, maybe more? Sounds like we have some issues? Anybody need to talk? LOL
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #7070516

He's been gone for a few years now.
angele

September 16, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #7070604

I'm sorry Pirl
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7070649

Don't be! We divorced after 28 years and I've been very happily married to Jack for almost 19 years.
angele

September 16, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #7070659

whew!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2009
8:14 AM

Post #7080340

My ex died too 12 years ago.
I have been happily single since 1964
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2009
8:24 AM

Post #7080347

My ex died about 5 years ago. I've been happily single since 1972.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2009
8:54 AM

Post #7080375

Congrats. I cant see any reason to be married after children.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #7082640

I've been happily married since I was 19. Almost 40 years. And they have been great years. I can understand wanting to be single Jo Ann, and Zuzu, but if, God forbid, my husband died first, and I thought I could remarry as well as I married, I would definitely do so.

A good marriage with a caring, sharing partner is a great thing. If it's not, I imagine being married would be horrible. I can't imagine having another person dictate what I do, rather than doing what I do because I care about the person. I recently have been having some back problems (along with Pirl), and my husband has helped me plant, dig, and divide irises, while doing all the housework, and most of the cooking. He did finally rush out and replace the dishwasher that went about 6 months ago though, after doing dishes a few times. And he's 67 years old, and was not brought up in the era when men did work around the house. He also accompanied me to my chiro visits, until I told him it wasn't necessary, as I really like the chiro. He takes care of me, and I take care of him, even though neither of us need taking care of, but it's a good feeling.

I wish all of you had experienced the happy marriage Russ and I have had for almost 40 years.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #7083705

Amen
Happily Married 31+ years and more in Love than ever. :-)
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #7083716

45 and counting here. All good, but the best part is the years together keep getting better. :-)
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #7083862

Gardengus and ardesia, it does seem to go that way in a happy marriage I think. When I was young, I don't think I appreciated Russ as much as I do now. The longer we're married the more I love him too, and the times together do get more special.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #7084426

I am applauding as we speak.
I have many talents ,but choosing the right man isnt one of them
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 21, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #7086073

Beware if pirl sends you a cherry pie...
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7086194

But at least you're happy in your own skin, Jo Ann.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2009
8:29 AM

Post #7086636

You got that right.
I had a couple of proposals along the way but they wanted me to take care of them.
I dont see that as "pulling equally in harness" or an equal partnership.
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #7105360

I have no idea when my plants will bloom .I 'm hoping fall.

Maggie

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2009
9:19 AM

Post #7105733

I was out taking pictures yesterday and there are still garden places that look great.
The temp here now is 38*
There will be frost one day soon.
No rain for weeks has anuals that are left, drooping and looking sad
In the far background is my neighbors Black Raspberry bed.
\YES its filled with weeds
I am glad they are east of us and the wind blows past us to them.
They just dont get it.

Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #7105884

Luckily, I've always had neighbors who really cared about their plants and gardens. Zuzu hasn't lucked out that way and has a neighbor who has an overgrown mess.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #7105981

Its maddening.
The boys tended the raspberries when they were home and picked them and made pies.This spring the father and 3 sons made the bed bigger. The bushes nearly all died as they were dug in late June.
They watered the dickins out of them and in late August all the kids but 2 (out of 7) went to new jobs or back to collage.
They never weeded the new patch all summer.The rest of the property looks just as messt.
They DO mow the lawn.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2009 10:00 AM
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #7106100

Your picture looks like fall, Jo Ann. It's lovely though. And I can't wait until next year to see how everything leaps.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America