Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Most dissapointing plant this year

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What happened to our winter dreams?
The plans for deep bold color?
The lust for lusceous leaves?
Blooms galore?
If you have a plant and a nursery that didnt measure up,
Lets hear from you.
My dissapointment is with the variety more than the nursery.
This is Echinacia Summer Sky from a local nursery.
Its fine and subtle peach colored petals are wonderful for 3 days and when it starts to go out of bloom( which takes weeks) it fades to a washed out cream color, check the picture.
Not so the Purple cone flowers also in the picture.
They've been blooming for over a month and tho faded they still look good.

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Only the pink Echinacea has ever done well for me so I stopped wasting money by trying the light colored ones.

J & P never fails to disappoint me so I ditched a few of theirs but none of the tree roses that I do love but they do need constant attention - like a nursemaid standing by for their every whim.

The coleus all did fine and moving a pot to make a good color harmony is so much easier than moving plants within a pot.

Two lilies didn't perform at all but I tend to think it was the deer problem and not the company from whom I bought them though one of them was "deer proof".

Two types of lettuce (Park's Seed Co.) were wrong and very disappointing.

Broccoli and cabbages (Park's Seed Co.) were attacked by bugs. "Resistance" goes just so far.

Cauliflower (Park's Seed Co.) was so disappointing we couldn't even consider eating it.

Caladiums never did fill out so next year I'll buy different varieties because I love the colors more than the pale ones. Can't fault Bill for my poor choices.

A few Japanese irises died but they were from trades.

Since none of the dahlias are the heights they were quoted to be I'll assume the heavy rains followed by scorching heat had something to do with it.

The absolute worst plant was a beautiful New Guinea impatiens purchased locally. It would be happy living under a leaking faucet. I love the colors and it's beautiful in the container but a major pain to keep watered. On top of that it isn't even photogenic. You'd think I could at least get a decent photo of it but it's stubborn and won't show the true orange color.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What is the verigated green edged plant to the left of the Imp.
I wont plant newguinies again. They fade if water hits the petals and the regular variety shedds all season.
I dont know what I'll put in containers next year.
Thats a winter problem.

After I bought that pretty variegated plant I found out it was HIGHLY invasive so I just put the pot in the container but didn't plant it within the arrangement. The name, as I bought it, is Artemisia 'Limelight' but here it is called 'Oriental Limelight'. Note all the extremely negative reviews!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful container, Pirl!

I haven't had anything disappointing this year, although I've pretty much just been buying irises. But I ordered two different caladiums in the co-op, and somehow got three varieties. The one I didn't order, I really like. I need to find out which one it is. It's a green with pink ribs. The caladiums I got from the co-op have done excellent. I got a small one and a large one, and I do like the large better, so next year I'm going with all large, and will put something shorter around the base. I'm not even going to try to keep them over winter.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl !
I meant this one (green and red)
Hi Polly.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Jo Ann!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Sounds like my blasted Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm). It came with the house and I've been trying to get rid of it for 25 years. I can't work at it for long because I hate the smell, which is so strong that it actually makes me feel faint. I also have to wear my gauntlet gloves when I work with it because it gives me contact dermatitis.

And now for something completely different.... Aren't some common names perfectly dreadful? Mugwort? Who wants something called Mugwort in a garden? Artemisia is such a pretty name.

Mugwort is an ugly name. Jack and I both get a rash from dealing with asparagus ferns in the garden.

Hi, Polly! My caladiums are fine but my allowances for growth were greatly exaggerated. I'll take a photo when I face the heat in 5 minutes.

Jo Ann - that's a zonal geranium and if I kept the plant stick I'll report back with the name of it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Glad everyone is finding plants that they have issues with.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

Pirl, I got that very same NG impatiens and it died within 1 mo. I decided the echies from coops are a waste of money for me. however, I recently got two cells which I just stuck in perlite, not expecting them to live, and they're alive! I must have been overwatering.

I have the summer skie echie which I bought as reg. plants and they do well for me, they do fade but I don't mind that.

No other disappointments. On the contrary, I'm so glad more plants didn't die, given the above ave. heat we've experienced this summer

I know what you mean. I'm in on a break after cleaning out part of the garage in between my short hops to the rose garden to keep up with tiny weeds and cut back irises, which should have been done a month ago. I'm dripping wet and the sprinkler is on in the courtyard for all the pots. I just might have to stand in front of that spray!

This message was edited Sep 6, 2009 1:46 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That's what Jamie and Jenna love to do. They'll play under the sprinkler for hours.

My caladiums are packed in way too tight, if that's what you're referring to.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I was only disapointed in Gingerland.Verrrrry slow to emerge and leaves werent as large as I expected.

So what you want are the "Fancy" leaved caladium, Jo Ann.

Mine are too far apart, Polly. I went under the sprinkler twice and now I'm done with that awful hot job and I'm in for the day. It's way too hot out there. I really feel like a wimp.

Baton Rouge, LA

My only disappointments were bare root roses, which just don't stay alive here if you plant them anytime other than Fall. I planted two this past Fall and they are beautiful. I got a shipment of six that was murdered by my sweet neighbor, so those were disappointing but understandable. But most disappointing were the shipments from Hortico and Edmond's this spring. All are dead, dead, dead! Never again. If a company won't ship my bareroots in Fall, then I just can't order from them anymore.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I thought Gingerland Caladiums were Fancy Leaf!!

Gingerland, Florida Sweetheart, Miss Muffet and Red Frill are all strap leaved type.

Evey - I'd rather have fall shipping for roses and shrubs. J & P ships while our ground, zone 7, is still frozen solid.

Baton Rouge, LA

LOL, this just goes to prove how "off" the zones are. I'm Zone 8b, just one number off from you, but we reach over 100 so quickly in spring (by May) that the plant can't get established well enough before the heat hits so hard.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi, everyone,
My Euphorbia "Bonfire" wasn't all that great. It simply grew at glacial pace compared to everything I had around it, like yarrow and ornamental grass. Also, I've been trying for a couple of years to grow crocosmias and I have 4 now, but one suddenly went brown without warning and another that is about to bloom is showing browning. Other two had a fantastic flower show, though, so all was not lost.

Baton Rouge, LA

Well, FoxnFirefly, I'm glad that two of crocs had a lovely show. Do you have any idea what is affecting the other two? Could it be a soil-borne fungus from all the rain in your area this season? I know a lot of you guys up in the northeast aren't accustomed to dealing with all of this moisture, and you might not recognize what we could call a common phenom of quick onset soil-borne or airborne fungus. You might want to take a leaf from your browning plant to your local Ag Ext Service for testing, just to know for sure what you are dealing with. If it's in the soil and you don't treat, plants in the future can be affected as well when temps heat up.

Another disappointing plant for us this year has been our tomatoes. They STILL have not ripened. We have tiny little green lumps that just aren't getting any bigger. By now, we should be planting our fall seedlings, but the summer ones are still there, just taunting us with their tiny starts of what should have been gorgeous, juicy fruits by now. It's very frustrating! I don't know whether to give up and rip them out to plant the fall crop, or be patient and wait for these to ripen. =(

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I planted tomatoes this year for the first time in a decade. It's great to go pluck them off the vine, but they are watery. I knew they would be. We had too much rain in April, May, June and July. They still taste good though and I don't have to buy the grocerystore tomatoes. Evey, I think you should wait for fruition, you have month of growing time left.

I had some crocosmia that just never grew and another red one that did quite well.

Evey, there is a method of ripping out tomato plants to scare the wits out of them and then the remaining tomatoes are supposed to ripen. Haven't had to try that one for myself.

We're enjoying our tomatoes but we don't have as many as usual. The 'Sweet 100' plants aren't producing as much as usual but each one is soooooo good.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Morning Pirl
Crocosmias are fussy. I have not seen the blooms on any color but Reds,must be the hardier of the group.

(Zone 9a)

Park's wax begonia 'BIG' was a BIG disappointment for me. WB's are perennial here and I thought these guys would look great mixed in between other plants. The seeds I bought were supposed to produce plants with bronze leaves and deep rose flowers and the plants were supposed to be huge, hence the name. What I got out of that packet of seeds was 3 little breen leafed plants with red flowers and after months of growing they are no larger than a regular wax begonia you would find in a cell pack. Parks has promised to refund my $.

An overabundance of rain and hungry deer wiped out plenty of other plants including some old favorites.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Deer everywhere.I had more damage this year than ever before.
You would think with rain making bigger weeds the deer would be satisfied without garden raids.

(Zone 9a)

Us too, but around here their low lying habitat has been flooded since June and I suspect that is why they have invaded the gardens to the degree they have.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have another disapointment.
The Red Husker Penstemon is no longer red.
My sisters turned green the second year and is green this 3rd season also.

I gave mine away years ago: same disappointment.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I've had some watery tomatoes, too Louise. First time ever. And they seem to get rotten quicker than the others. Suprisingly my Cherokee Purple are not watery and the leaves are still great looking on them. My Santa and Sweet Millions are doing really well. I have them in those self watering pots, and they're huge.

I have never had luck with penstemon.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Blissful--I blame the soggy soil on my browned crocosmias. They go belly-up when we have those gully-washers. I had put all of the corms in pots, but the soil in two pots is part clay. So I know they needed some coarse organic matter to loosen up. I take my chances anyway just to see how much they tolerate.

I started my tomatoes from seed and had 12 Roma plants. They got a great start, then the monsoon season from May to August. They didn't start bearing fruit till early August, and the fruits are small and lumpy, but nonetheless usable. There just want' enough sunny days this year.

Sorry to hear about everyone else's crummy tomatoes. 2009 will go down in the almanacs as a bum-rap garden year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ours are doing OK if we pick toms. before they go black at the tip

Our cucumbers are doing much too well. Neighbors run and hide, lock the doors and draw the blinds when they see my husband approaching the house with bags of them!

The tomatoes are 75/25. Some he shouldn't bother bringing inside because I just throw them out. The others are very good. Sweet 100's are, as always, heavenly, but not as many as usual.

The ants this year are awful!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They seem to be everywhere here too.

Little did I ever think I'd be spraying down counter tops with Raid but I have no choice.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I sprayed the perimiter of the house with Home Defense, and haven't had another one. We were getting some of the really large black ones in. I don't mind the teeny tiny ones as much, but those big ones, ick.

We only have the very tiny ones but many at a time.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those big ones arent carpenter ants are they?
They love it where there is moisture, like where the downspout leaked at the side of DD 's house. They ate thru into the dinningroom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.