Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kaynla
Denham Springs, LA

August 20, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6968741

I need some advice regarding my mandevilla. It's grown rather fast and has produced tons of beautiful flowers. I bought it in june of this year and it has doubled in size. I really want to keep it going but the yellow leaves and brown spots are stumping me.I sprayed with fungus spray several times and it hasn't helped. Any advice for this newbie?

Thumbnail by kaynla
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6969361

Mandevilla leaves typically yellow and drop towards the base of the plant. If this is true in yours, its natural as with most vining plants. If not and the yellow / browning is happening at different parts, you may want to check the soil to see if its dry or saturated. My Mandevilla typically dont require a whole lot of water and will siffer similar yellowing if overwatered.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6969436

cue_chik is right. The older leaves do yellow and drop off. You don't have the problem with new leaves, do you?
kaynla
Denham Springs, LA

August 22, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6974760

The newer leaves really don't yellow very often...the bigger problem seems to be the rusty brown spots that occur on most all of the leaves. It continues to grow and produce such beautiful flowers. I just can't get rid of the "rust".
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #6974772

Are you watering it in the evening? Especially in humid climates, watering in the evening can sometimes lead to fungal spots on the leaves because the leaves stay wet for a long time and that makes an ideal breeding ground for fungus. To avoid it, either make really sure you're just watering the soil and not splashing on the leaves, and/or water in the mornings when the leaves will dry off quicker.
kaynla
Denham Springs, LA

August 23, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6977645

thanks everyone for the advice...I too think that the evening watering started this problem and I now water only the center of the container making sure the leaves stay as dry as possible.Can I ever reverse this fungus problem? The plant continues to grow and bloom daily.I really would like to see it healthy.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6977655

if the fungus isnt too wide spread, you could remove the affected leaves and dispose of them along with treating the rest of the plant with a fungicide and continue watering from the bottom.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6977662

Those spots won't hurt the plant as long as they're not getting worse--unfortunately I don't think you can do much to reverse the spotting once it's there--if it really bothers you and it's only on a few leaves you can pull them off, but if it's all over that wouldn't be too good for the plant.
kaynla
Denham Springs, LA

August 23, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6977663

My mandevilla growing away inspite of the fungus taking over the older parts of the vine.

Thumbnail by kaynla

kaynla
Denham Springs, LA

August 23, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6977691

Yes...I remove lots of the really bad leaves but I was not sure how many would be ok to take off. Some just fall off.The fungus does seem to be spreading fast and I did use a fungus spray as suggested by the lady at Home Depot in the garden dept.I really couldn't see any change in the vine after 2 or 3 sprays so far. I will continue to fight the fungus battle :(
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6977695

looks pretty on that fence Kaynla!
kaynla
Denham Springs, LA

August 23, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6977758

thanks cue_chik... it is pretty on my white fence
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6977849

its beautiful.. makes me wish i had a white picket fence...LOL... ah,... one day
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #6983920

LOL, I just bought a couple white vinyl fence pieces at Menards - like $15 each - they just stick down into the ground and give you a nice look to the garden. And, you can take them in during the winter if you have snow plowed onto the area. :^) Here's the website:
http://www.emscogroup.com/products/product?id=183&category_id=20

Thumbnail by hanseycollie

cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #6983932

very cool Hansey! I may have to get a couple. was thinking i could space them evenly in the back, maybe 3 of them space them as far apart as they are wide and put a MG on each...
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6984065

Check out their website Cue-Chik - they have some really cute ones. They are so easy - you just put stakes in them and stick them in the ground. When you get tired of where they are, you pull them up and move them. We are installing a white vinyl 6' privacy fence in two weeks so I am excited to see how it looks with our white house and the little fence by the street. Menard's had them last time I was there - they are 36X32 - about $13 or $15 each section - great investment to set off a small garden. It'd be very pretty with a mandevilla on each!

kaynla
Denham Springs, LA

August 25, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6985005

I love the vinyl fence idea! Being able to move it would be great...my husband says I rearrange my yard/garden as often as I do my house lol We put in the wooden fence for privacy and to semi "corral" a couple of the younger grandchildren.I just love the way the bright colored plants look against it. Good luck with your ideas...I'll bet you'll both have fun with it.

Will have to post another pic with my bougainvilla against my fence.
kaynla
Denham Springs, LA

August 25, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6985055

These blooms are so pretty right now

Thumbnail by kaynla

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6986165

OMgosh, that is gorgeous!!!! How did you get it to grow so lush, it's amazing! In fact, I change my computer's background every so often when I come across a beautiful photo on DG - this one is now my screensaver - it's soooooooo lovely!

We are having a white vinyl privacy fence installed in a week or so - I can't wait to be able to grow plants up it with the white behind them - should be lovely! I liked the portable little "decoration" fence for the mailbox as when they plow snow, I can move it and not have it ruined like a real one would be. Not that you have to worry about snow or ice in Louisiana, ha! Cynthia

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6986207

Love your collie. We had one, Mac, for 14 beautiful years. He was the kindest and most caring dog I've ever known. I could still cry over his loss and it's been 33 years yesterday.
kaynla
Denham Springs, LA

August 25, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6987096

Thanks hanseycollie I think I just got lucky on the bougainvilla blooming.Ifinally learned to stop watering it everyday.Mine seems to love being dry...then getting a good soaking.I also put about a 1/2 cup of epsom salt right at the base of the plant a couple times of month. It has been such a pleasure this summer...and you're right we won't have a lot of cold to worry about here in louisiana but I will take it in around november.I sure don't want to loose it.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6987281

Pirl, my first collie was also a sable, Heidi, and she died 23 years ago. Wonder why us collie lovers always remember everything about our dogs? Han is only five so I am praying for another decade with him. He is a therapy dog for a local nursing home, along with being my gardening partner. (He sleeps while I garden, it works for him.)

Kaynla, why the epsom salt? That blew me away, salt on a plant??? I have my mandevillas planted also in planters as they'll be coming inside before our first cold spell - probably in about 4-5 weeks (I hope!). Do you just cut it down and bring it inside your home to spend the winter? I read someplace where you can store them in a heated garage covered...doesn't make much sense to me...?

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6987656

Han is beautiful. They are such devoted companions.

I have had the same two Mandevilla vines for 17 years now and cut them back before I bring them inside each October. They can be put in a bright window and watered infrequently to keep them alive over winter. By March/April you'll see they'll put on new growth.

Epsom salts is good for plants: http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Horticultural Myths_files/Myths/Epsom salts.pdf

It encourages basal break = more stems, more flowers.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6987773

Awesome - I just learned another new gardening tip, yes! Thanks so much. 17 years, wow! Have you named them after having them for that long? I name our new trees after kids and pets. We have a new tree in the front yard named after our 19 y.o. cat we lost two years ago - The Puddma. Thanks again.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6987886

Honestly, I had never even thought of naming them!
kaynla
Denham Springs, LA

August 26, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6991191

hanseycollie ...I didn't get back online in time to answer "why epsom salt" but I see pirl helped me out :) I will just cut it back and put it away in the greenhouse ...more than likely by november or when ever we have freezing temps. I haven't named any plants either but you never know.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #7000851

I just bought three new trees to name after neice and nephews - Gracie, Elijah and Isaiah. My husband grew up on a farm in Iowa and they named everything - our cars are named, our animals have nicknames, even 7up has a nick name. It's our own little language, ha.

I plan to try 1/2 cup epsom salt on my Mandeville to see if it helps. Will bring it in and store it inside over the winter because I think they are not winter hardy here in Missouri. I used to mist it every day when it was on my deck - was glad to read they don't like wet leaves so I'll stop that.

Hope all is well with you guys! Here's Han at the local dog wash, poor guy...Cynthia

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America