Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

"Aliens"!!!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Doesn't this just make your hair stand on end?

Thumbnail by Jayryunen
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

That's pretty weird! Any idea what caused that?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Haven't a clue! I've posted this pic over on the Tomato forum in hopes somebody over there knows.

We do live downwind of Los Alamos...
Nah, couldn't be that.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, wow! Tomatoes with parasitic twins! Los Alamos, huh? Hmm, have you noticed any extra limbs growing from any of your family members or neighbors? O.O

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

It's kinda hard to tell... it's kinda like the Appalacians around here: old families that are all related somehow... and poor. I mean... is it thalidimide, thorium or thiamine deficiency? So many choices....

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

ROFL, hey watch it, yer talkin' to someone in KY ;)

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

So you know what I'm talkin' about...
None of that sloppy open genetics like in the big city.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Personally, I'd go for 'Designer Mater' if I was marketing them ;)

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Hmm... I am also downwind of Santa Fe... the city [very] different. This may be a crystal aura smudging reiki channeling "higher beings" effect....
LOL

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL I like Hineni's idea; make lots of money on them. 'Course the demand would be great, and you'd have to try and grow tons of them!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Do you still have the really ugly one with all the green spewing out of it? If so, you should cut it in half so we can see what the inside looks like. :)

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Too much goat poop?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Nope, no goat poop at all. Just the donkey manure, which I've always done. The only new thing this year is the high tunnel... maybe it's just tomato-ey excitement? LOL

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

It looks like little tomatoes growing out of the big one. Are there a lot of them or just a few. Mutations or sports occure all the time in the palnt world. May be the high tunnel is keeping too much pollen concentrated around the plants and making them do weird things or maybe it has crossed with something else that is putting out a lot of pollen.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2009 3:06 PM

This message was edited Aug 22, 2009 3:07 PM

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Tomatoes are self-fertile, so pollen levels and crossing is pretty irrelevant. It is little tomatoes growing out the bottom, seems that Siletz is prone to it, and I think it's called hyperparthnocarpy... at least that's what one site called it. Haven't gotten around to finding out why it happens. Not all of the fruit are affected, it seems to be mostly the first set.

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

You are correct on tomatoes being self-fertile but they can still cross with other varieties to create some weird looking stuff. Not familiar with what grows in your part of the world but that one looked like it tried to have a litter instead of just one.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

LOL... littering. =0)

On further research, the Siletz is parthenocarpic, meaning it will form fruit without pollination, useful for cool temps when the pollen might not be sufficiently mature at the first flowerings. So this is probably a function of that characteristic.

Parthenocarpic tomatoes (and other plants) produce very few seeds, so this is useful for both greenhouse growing (no pollinators needed) and folks with diverticulitis (little to no seed removal necessary).

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Wierd deal. Looks like an eviseration.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

What'd you end up doing with it, Jayryunen? Probably sold it on ebay for big bucks, lol.

Richmond, TX

Save the seed, and if it breeds true, PATENT IT!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

We ate it! Got several others, just let them ripen and ate 'em. Yum!

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

kinda reminds me of the blob movies
you could do a movie on tomato blobs from outer space LOL

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Controlling the president's mind... doesn't matter which pres... a REAL vegetable conspiracy for world domination...

Be afraid, be sorta afraid.

LOL

LOL :)

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Didn't that start in Mexico and Central America?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Vegetable conspiracy? In Mexico?
I was thinking more China, where the tofu runs freeeeeeee!

Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Since Calf. has turned off the water to all of it’s farmers for the preservation of some kind of fish or something and stop the spread of global warming we will have to get most of our veggies from Mexico and Central America now. China just fortifies the tofu with Melamine for extra flavor.
……… Right? …..

Richmond, TX

I thought the melamine increased the apparent protein! (Seems more like a thickening - stiffening? - agent to me.)

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Yeah, it's how they make firm tofu... LOL
Remember melamine handles on utensils?

Yeah, CA... where they cut the farmers off, but lawn watering is still legal. Well, we'd better not get started on water politics... you know what they say out here in the West...

Whiskey's fer drinkin', water's fer fightin'...

beer for my horses and whiskey for my men ! LOL
:)
that is al i know *wink*

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I've got a donkey that whimpers for beer... he's just purely pathetic if you stand near him while you're drinking a cold one. Do you have any idea how long that upper lip can get? LOL I always save him the last swallow in the bottle... oh yes, he drinks out of the bottle.

Personally, I take this as proof of reincarnation... my other donks are just not that interested in beer. I think ol' Shenanigans was a lush in his last life....

LOL Jay that is to funny. Could be , you just never know about his universe of ours :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.