-
AuthorContent
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6972137

As I stood stareing at the green seeds clinging to the almost spent flower heads and the dear old lady was trying to explain to me in spanish (I don't speak a word) that I could have them when they were ready, I realized I didn't know when they would be ready and can't understand enough spanish to understand what she is telling me how to harvest them. My dear neighbor eats fennel almost as a staple from her garden and wants so much to share these seeds with me but, when are they ready and how do I harvest them?...lol...can anyone help? I feel like such an idiot...we do great with sign language and other ways of comunicating on so many things but, can't seem to figure this out...lol...help! I am just starting a garden and planting here in south Texas and everyone here on Dave's Garden has been so very helpful. I thought maybe this would be the place to come for help with this...the answer is probably simple but, it just escapes me and I don't want it to fail and disappoint my giver...HELP PLEASE

Hugs,

Jamie
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6974536

The fennel seeds will turn brown and come off the stalk easy when ripe.
Like dill or coriander/celantro, or many other flowers of the same shape.
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6975382

Thanks Gardengus,

Figured it was that simple and found a site that kind of said it was after I posted it but, I wanted to know for sure since, this seems so important to my neighbor...I think she's 110...lol...not really but, she is much older and she seems intent on passing this along and I don't want to disappoint her. I do love fennel...roasted, grilled all different ways too but, this is kind of extra important...you're a doll for taking the time to let me know for sure...thanks. I'll wait and watch then.

Hugs,

Jamie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America