Two Year Old Cow with scours

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a two year old cow - been bred once - who has developed the scours. She has been eating coastal grass and recently I began to feed her and the young bull calf who pasture together 20% cubes. She is a black angus. I have never experienced this before. Is there anyone here who can give some insight? She is not easy to handle, so it may require me loading her up and taking her to the vet. I also noticed ticks in her ears. The young bull is fine.

Perhaps the cubes were to rich to start her on -

Thanks,
Melissa

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

has she been treated for coccidosis or worms recently that could be it but will need something for the sours I don't have any suggestions with a heifer have cures for goat but not cattle

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

cows often appear to scour when they are getting too much protein. Does she have any other symptoms beside the obvious? Our cows run pretty loose when they are out on a particularly high protein grass. Try taking the crumbles away for a couple of days and see if she straightens out.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

Dave 719 - cocciodiosis was one of the concerns that was "put out there." So, next week, all of my cows will be given their vac's and dewormed. I skipped a year and the stress of the heat has been horrible for these black cows. Most days they are all under a tree or in their loafing sheds.

Kathleen - that is what one of the local ranchers up the road suggested. I put "Dublin" and "Wooly" on 20% cubes and perhaps they just too rich for her. So, I will take them off of the cubes as you suggested.

My other little herd has been fine. They have been holding their weight. I feed twice a day and just watch how they eat. Sometimes, they eat very little - so I cut back.

It has been unbearably hot and dry - a stress on all of us.

Thanks for the help. I will let you know how things progress.

Delhi, LA

Well, I assume the scours case has been handled by now, but a good cure for scours is a sulfur bolus everyday. You can give it yourself and save vet fee.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

I think so. She is running loose as Kathleen stated. They have been on a coastal pasture that may have been too rich for her.

Thanks Jim for the suggestion of sulfur bolus - especially the part about saving on vet fees.

Melissa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images