Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Winter Sowing: Storing seeds to be sown next winter?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 11, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6973669

I am buying seeds now to winter sow. I read in a magazine I should put them in an air-tight jar and keep them in the refrigerator. Will that help keep them fresh? Thanks! Cynthia

Thumbnail by hanseycollie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6977617

I've been putting my Echinacea seeds in zip/lock bags in the veggie drawer for years now. They always do very well for me.

I'm sure the jar would work well too.

Have fun. Don't forget I told you winter sowing is addictive. Don't do like me and plant the entire packets of seeds. You will have too many plants to plant. LOL.
janemarierose
Utica, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 23, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #6979892

I noticed some plants packages only come with 15 seeds in them,,,is that because all will sprout? Also I found some seeds that are two years in my stash should i try sowing them?

jmr
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6979990

I never store my seeds in the fridge. They're in little ziplock baggies, then stored in a box at room temperature.

There are a few seeds which sprout much better if sown fresh (as in immediately after harvest), but most remain viable for years. Have you heard of the doomsday vault?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

Karen
janemarierose
Utica, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 24, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6980885

I've never heard of it but thinks it's pretty cool...think they will lend my some seeds when mine don't sprout? LOL

jmr
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #6982414

Thanks for the input - I guess it works either way with the seeds...? I just can't wait to winter sow this year and actually grow from seed. My sister in law winter sowed some coneflowers and they are huge and bloomed this year, woohooooo!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #7031510

Oh, yes, you will have a ball with your wintersowing! Lots of fun.

A veteran seed sower told me to store seeds in the freezer if possible...what you you all think of that?? I had heard of the fridge recommendation before, but not the freezer.

I don't have room in the fridge so I store mine in a box in a cool room.

(I do start some of my perennial seed in damp coffee filters inside zip locks in the fridge to get the 'cold treatment' before regular sowing in pots, though, which works well, by the way.)
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #7038203

Tabasco, why do you put them in coffee filters before you winter sow? Is that for growing them inside under lights?
Cynthia
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #7038395

t.- I also just store my seeds in a box. No fridge or freezer. Works for me.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #7039577

Columbine seeds do really well in the freezer. It really helps with the germination of them.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #7041328

Oh, the coffee filter method (or aka 'Deno Method') is another form of seed sowing. Sometimes I forego the Wintersowing and do perennial seeds using the 'Deno method' if I am starting my seed in late summer and then will plant the little baby plants directly into the ground in fall. Then they will root and grow bigger during the winter and next summer have a chance to mature enough to blossom. You can do a search on DG or Google for details on the 'Deno Method'.

Oftentimes in our climate here, if you start perennials using the winter sowing method they may not be mature enough the first year to bloom. I still like the wintersowing method the best (for me who is forgetful and inattentive so many of my seed sowing indoors, etc., ends in failure.)
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #7044823

Wow, very interesting. I assumed by fall trying to grow plants to go in the ground wasn't a possibility. I will search the Deno Method and check it out. I also bought some Columbine seeds for next spring, Clint, so they are going in the freezer tonight! I learn so much on this site every day! Cynthia

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America