Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Handyman: Spiders huge

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 12, Views: 170
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6976005

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/spider_tp.html

I am building spider traps today. I have had more huge horrific spiders this past month then I ever had. I am building these traps and my DH is on duty to check them.
WildcatThicket
Trenton(close to), TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #8164158

Huge spiders are beneficial creatues. They eat lots of those bad insects.
Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #8165180

Cats love to handle spiders. Spiders are few and far between at my house.

This morning I was getting ready for my bath and noticed one of my cats in the tub peering intently at the drain. There was a VERY slow drip so I thought that was what had fascinated him until I started the water and a spider came flying out of the drain.

My poor furball quickly gave up his predator mode when faced with taking a bath. I squashed the spider and ignored the look my cat gave me.

Dawn
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #8262539

At our house we have a certain plastic cup that is for scooping up spiders and putting them outside. Spiders are very good at keeping the bad insects under control. They are not aggressive toward people (they usually run away from us) so there is no need to kill them. Just put them in your garden where they can help you.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #8262549

That first post is over a year old...
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #8262565

Wow, I didn't even look ... Thank you for pointing that out...
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #8262579

I also trap and release spiders that find their way into the house, as we live in the middle of the woods. We get huge wolf spiders, that carry their young on their backs. Amazing creatures!
I feel sorry for the spiders I find in the basement in the winter, as there is nothing for them to eat, and it's too cold for them outside. Ah, well, you can't save them all, lol.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #8262763

A year old thread . . . what I love about davesgarden!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #8262767

And there she is, the one who started the thread! Did you have more uninvited guests this summer? We get them every year.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #8263430

Actually, this past summer/fall was great . . . maybe 1 or 2 biggies. Altho, my dh found what he described as MEDIUM BIG in the bath tub last month.
WildcatThicket
Trenton(close to), TX
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #8263448

I love going out early in the morning and see the fabulous art work my friends the spiders have created in the dark. Some of which I watched the starting of a beautiful web the evening before. Some spiders build new webs every night. Garden spiders always repair damage to their large webs. I love watching spiders, big and small, working on their webs.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #8263669

I'm glad you didn't have as many this year, anastatia. I'm sure they'd rather be outside as much as we rather that they are, lol.
I agree, their webs are amazing, and I always feel terribly guilty when I accidentally run into one while hiking in the woods. What an incredible amount of energy that must require of such a small creature!
tigerlily
Tiller, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8300920

Last spring I discovered a HUGE, very nasty looking spider in my back yard. It was quite aggressive, as well. After taking photos, I googled "Pacific Northwest Spiders", and discovered I'd found a female Mouse Spider. Not something to mess with, and non-indigenous. I'm not kill happy, but I should have killed that spider.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America