Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Spiders huge

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/spider_tp.html

I am building spider traps today. I have had more huge horrific spiders this past month then I ever had. I am building these traps and my DH is on duty to check them.

Trenton(close to), TX(Zone 8a)

Huge spiders are beneficial creatues. They eat lots of those bad insects.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Cats love to handle spiders. Spiders are few and far between at my house.

This morning I was getting ready for my bath and noticed one of my cats in the tub peering intently at the drain. There was a VERY slow drip so I thought that was what had fascinated him until I started the water and a spider came flying out of the drain.

My poor furball quickly gave up his predator mode when faced with taking a bath. I squashed the spider and ignored the look my cat gave me.

Dawn

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

At our house we have a certain plastic cup that is for scooping up spiders and putting them outside. Spiders are very good at keeping the bad insects under control. They are not aggressive toward people (they usually run away from us) so there is no need to kill them. Just put them in your garden where they can help you.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

That first post is over a year old...

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Wow, I didn't even look ...... Thank you for pointing that out.....

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I also trap and release spiders that find their way into the house, as we live in the middle of the woods. We get huge wolf spiders, that carry their young on their backs. Amazing creatures!
I feel sorry for the spiders I find in the basement in the winter, as there is nothing for them to eat, and it's too cold for them outside. Ah, well, you can't save them all, lol.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

A year old thread . . . what I love about davesgarden!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

And there she is, the one who started the thread! Did you have more uninvited guests this summer? We get them every year.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Actually, this past summer/fall was great . . . maybe 1 or 2 biggies. Altho, my dh found what he described as MEDIUM BIG in the bath tub last month.

Trenton(close to), TX(Zone 8a)

I love going out early in the morning and see the fabulous art work my friends the spiders have created in the dark. Some of which I watched the starting of a beautiful web the evening before. Some spiders build new webs every night. Garden spiders always repair damage to their large webs. I love watching spiders, big and small, working on their webs.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm glad you didn't have as many this year, anastatia. I'm sure they'd rather be outside as much as we rather that they are, lol.
I agree, their webs are amazing, and I always feel terribly guilty when I accidentally run into one while hiking in the woods. What an incredible amount of energy that must require of such a small creature!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Last spring I discovered a HUGE, very nasty looking spider in my back yard. It was quite aggressive, as well. After taking photos, I googled "Pacific Northwest Spiders", and discovered I'd found a female Mouse Spider. Not something to mess with, and non-indigenous. I'm not kill happy, but I should have killed that spider.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.