Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beekeeping: Sudden Die Off

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 3, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pawny
San Leandro, CA

August 22, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6976923

It is just tragic. My friends hive is dying at an alarming rate. Just this morning a few, but now they are dying by the hundreds. They seem very disoriented and some are flying into the window of the house.

Does anyone know what could cause this? Would some insecticide do this? Is there a way to have the bees tested so we can try and avoid this at a later date?

any help would be much appreciated.

thank you.

Thumbnail by pawny
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JsHoney
Forestville, NY

September 1, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #7010748

I could be a nerve gas type pesticide like the ones use to spray the grapes but it could be a number of things. The only way to be sure is contact your local inspector and have him/her look at the hive. The inspector can have them test at a lab if not tell you how and where to send them for independent testing. As far as tell you what’s wrong there is not enough info given in your post. Please I strongly recommend you contact your local inspector because if they are sick and left uncheck it can spread from one hive to another.
pawny
San Leandro, CA

September 5, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #7027529

Thank you JsHoney for you good advice, I will let my friend know.:-)
JsHoney
Forestville, NY

September 7, 2009
8:44 AM

Post #7035170

Glad I could help. Please post what you hear.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America